shape
carat
color
clarity

3 carat diamond advice needed, 2.7 HCA?

nycgirl123

Rough_Rock
Hi all! We are thinking of getting this stone, it's $46k from the diamond district. What do you think about this stone and do you think it is a good value? it is completely eyeclean and loup clean from the top down (you can see a small inclusion from the side). however, the HCA is also 2.7 which worries me. it looks really amazing in person..but then again, could be the lighting of the store, so i wanted your advice..do you think i should reject b/c of low HCA?

thank you all so for your help!

Attachments

• _10.pdf
    81.8 KB · Views: 322

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would check on these two before making a decision. They have better HCA scores and better clarity. G and H are still at the high end of near colorless. All diamonds look good in that lighting, so you have to be very careful. I wouldn't pay that much for an SI2 diamond. B2C Jewels will provide a magnified photo and an idealscope image. Ask for those and post them here. And of course you have to ask about whether the stones are eye clean.

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-3438928-3.02-carat-Round-diamond-G-color-SI1-Clarity.aspx?sku=3438928&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-3243807-3.09-carat-Round-diamond-H-color-SI1-Clarity.aspx?sku=3243807&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

But if you really want F SI2 for some reason, here is one you can also have them check out for you:

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-3197917-3.02-carat-Round-diamond-F-color-SI2-Clarity.aspx?sku=3197917&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

All of these have what I consider better cut than the one you posted.

sakari_8

Shiny_Rock
BTW HCA score of this stone is 1.0 :)

nycgirl123

Rough_Rock
uh oh...i realized the boyfriend bought it already...do you think we should try and return it, like is this not a good diamond you think? i am so stressed now =(

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that some of the other options posted were better in terms of cut. Do you have a good return policy on the stone he purchased?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't believe the OP was looking for alternative suggestions, was she?

To answer your question, in my opinion a 2.7 HCA is not grounds to automatically reject a GIA Ex cut stone. There are many other factors that influence its appearance. But that score does suggest it is worth looking for more information. You have seen it, have you compared it in person accross a lot of different lighting to other diamonds that score better?

Finding a truly eye clean SI2 in that size (which is presumably a budget factor) is very hard. That might tip the scale to compromise slightly on cut -- if this is actually a compromise at all. We cannot judge that confidently online with only the report and HCA.

Can you post photos?

Lula

Ideal_Rock
nycgirl123|1357685797|3350670 said:
uh oh...i realized the boyfriend bought it already...do you think we should try and return it, like is this not a good diamond you think? i am so stressed now =(

It looks like a very nice stone. It is a 60/60 cut which is simply a different look than the Tolkowsky ideal cut stones typically recommended on this forum. To my eye, well-cut 60/60 stones can be just as beautiful as a well-cut Tolkowsky stone -- they are simply different "flavors." People have different eyesight and different preferences. The HCA cannot "see" the stone, but you and your boyfriend did see the stone and you liked it. That HCA also tends to penalize some, not all, 60/60 stones. Your stone has been graded by a reputable and well-respected lab, GIA. Again, while many of the posters on this forum prefer AGS and Tolkowky ideal cut stones, that in no way means your boyfriend bought a bad or unattractive diamond! Here is a link to an article that shows you the variety of diamond "flavors" that fall under the GIA Excellent cut grade. Your stone is a 60/60, and if well-cut, probably looks like stone #4 in the article. https://www.pricescope.com/journal/laboratory_cut_grades_what_report_doesn’t_show

As for the SI2 clarity, again, someone buying the diamond sight unseen may shy away from buying anything lower than a VS2 clarity in a 3 carat stone, but you saw the stone and if the inclusions did not bother you, then again, that is what counts -- you are the one wearing the stone. We cannot see the stone; all we can see is the lab report. I do note that the primary inclusion is feather(s); my only caution is that you consider paying an independent appraiser (not affiliated with the store you bought the stone from) to make sure that the feather does not compromise the structural integrity of the stone. You'll probably want an independent appraisal for insurance purposes anyway. If the diamond has a return window, you'll want to make sure you have the stone appraised within the exchange period in case there are any issues with the feather.

Congratulations on your upcoming engagement!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, well if the stone is already purchased, that is a different story! I am sure the diamond is fine. If someone comes here before purchasing, then we may suggest potential better options. It sounded like you were in NYC and were just considering that one, so I suggested some other stones. I take it you must have loved the diamond to have bought it. So don't worry about it at this point!

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1357693991|3350806 said:
Okay, well if the stone is already purchased, that is a different story! I am sure the diamond is fine. If someone comes here before purchasing, then we may suggest potential better options. It sounded like you were in NYC and were just considering that one, so I suggested some other stones. I take it you must have loved the diamond to have bought it. So don't worry about it at this point!

+1 I didn't realize the stone was purchased, but I couldn't see the certificate either....My computer's been acting weird...Anyways, If it's already yours, and you've seen it in person and love it, then it should be fine. If others on here can see the cert and say it's fine, then don't worry about it. And do not stress about it! Getting a diamond ESPECIALLY A 3CT is a huge deal, and should be a fun thing!!

nycgirl123

Rough_Rock
hello all!

i work 2 blocks from diamond district and went there for the entire week looking at stones (from 6 different stores and looked at over 15 stones), and this one was def by fav, but the reason why i post is b/c now i feel like maybe the store lights were playing a trick on me b/c when i put in the HCA it was so low which makes me nervous and my bf spent so much...yes you guys are right, i should just enjoy it. can't wait to actually be engaged and wear it on my finger...

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
nycgirl123|1357700367|3350920 said:
hello all!

i work 2 blocks from diamond district and went there for the entire week looking at stones (from 6 different stores and looked at over 15 stones), and this one was def by fav, but the reason why i post is b/c now i feel like maybe the store lights were playing a trick on me b/c when i put in the HCA it was so low which makes me nervous and my bf spent so much...yes you guys are right, i should just enjoy it. can't wait to actually be engaged and wear it on my finger...

Haha, yes lighting in jewelry stores always makes diamonds look better!!! only a VG cut and it still looks fabulous in the jewelry store! Does this place have a return policy? Just thinking if you take it home and aren't in love with it anymore after a week, what are your options?

vishke8

Rough_Rock
Don't get stressed, if you have got some kinda return policy with this diamond then send it back and look for other options over the internet.

I personally like the ones recommended by DS from B2C, they are nice and should give you the best output and value for your money.

Let us know what happens next...

nycgirl123

Rough_Rock
i just checked..there are no returns, only refunds =( OH NO !!!! do you think i can try to argue for a refund ??

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
nycgirl123|1357733239|3351139 said:
i just checked..there are no returns, only refunds =( OH NO !!!! do you think i can try to argue for a refund ??

Do you not want to keep it? Is there any way you could get pictures of it to show us? That would help us better direct you. I thought you liked it and were going to keep it. If you've already bought it and love it then I suggest keeping it. If you feel that we can get you a better stone for a better price then I'd return it.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'd echo Lula's cut comments above. The numbers are favorable. It's predicted at the AGS 0-1 light performance border - depending on cut consistency and precision, indexing, etc. And it has a higher crown than conventional 60-60 makes, which should enhance the colored sparkle you see, in addition to characteristic brightness.

Dreamer_D|1357692394|3350783 said:
Finding a truly eye clean SI2 in that size (which is presumably a budget factor) is very hard
Absolutely. The pavilion-located inclusions really help in that sense.

04diamond<3|1357744015|3351235 said:
...I thought you liked it and were going to keep it. If you've already bought it and love it then I suggest keeping it. If you feel that we can get you a better stone for a better price then I'd return it...
Ditto that.

nycgirl123

Rough_Rock
so when i saw it, i LOVED it so much esp b/c it was eye clean and loup clean but after buying it and looking up the HCA (i don't know why the HCA didn't alarm me before, i guess i was too in love). do you know if there is a way to argue for a return with a store in the diamond district?

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
nycgirl123|1357746795|3351265 said:
so when i saw it, i LOVED it so much esp b/c it was eye clean and loup clean but after buying it and looking up the HCA (i don't know why the HCA didn't alarm me before, i guess i was too in love). do you know if there is a way to argue for a return with a store in the diamond district?

No...but you said you could return it so just give it back and ask for your money back. How long have you had it? The HCA isn't to show you what's crap and what's "the best" it's just to show the chances of how the stone will perform. If it's higher than a 2.0, it doesn't mean that's a terrible stone, in fact it says on the tool that only 5% of stones are better than a 2.0. If it were a 5.0 or 6.0 then that's a problem. But if you LOVED it, then keep it! After all, it's UP TO YOU! :))

nycgirl123

Rough_Rock
thank you all! what kind of images would be helpful for you to see? would pictures on my finger be helpful or do you need special images?

nycgirl123

Rough_Rock
also, im sorry, i wasn't clear, there is NO REFUND, only EXCHANGE if it is false advertisement..YIKES!

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
nycgirl123|1357747790|3351280 said:
thank you all! what kind of images would be helpful for you to see? would pictures on my finger be helpful or do you need special images?

Yes and Yes! That sucks that they only have an exchange program! Where'd you get it from?? If I didn't say this before a 2.7 on the HCA isn't bad at all! It's closer to perfection than most stones! Most people prefer around a 2 or slightly above so I wouldn't worry about that. Anyways, any pictures you can provide would be great!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too late for you, but in case anyone out there is reading this, we would always advise to stay far away from vendors who do not have an unconditional return policy of at least a week or 10 days. Even 3 days gives you a chance to get it appraised or change your mind. But again, it sounds like you loved your stone so you need to just let this go!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
nycgirl123|1357700367|3350920 said:
hello all!

A 2.7 on the HCA isn't "so low." In fact, it's barely outside what people suggest - 2.0. I bet it's gorgeous and you're stressing yourself out over what is actually a beautiful diamond! ENJOY your stone. Your focus now should be picking out a setting! Best of luck.

sakari_8

Shiny_Rock
My sympathy is with you, I would want you to highlight your experience having no where to turn, which will allow many consumers to take the right decision. If you happen to be lucky and the company supports you with the return policy then immediately return the diamond and we all will help you in finding the right diamond.

Here is what I always follow and also suggest other consumers who purchase through online stores.

1) check the reviews, testimonies etc etc to make sure that the company is a genuine. (Best source is through Price Scope Forum, some or other person will definitely jump in and try and answer your questions.)

2) check their policies:
Return/ Refund
Shipping (both ways free)
Warranty
Life time Upgrade

3) Get the Images
Ideal Scope Image
ASET Image
Hearts & Arrows Image

4) Price Match Policy - Check if the same diamond is reflecting on any other online store. Match the prices.

In the end, if you loved the diamond so much, I'd say keep it. Help us with the name of Store so that in future if any customer is seeking help, we can make them aware about this store's policy.

FYI here are few names of the reputed stores as per my findings B2C Jewels, James Allen, BlueNile, Brian Gavin Diamonds, White Flash, Good Old Gold, (the list is too big so if any one would like to add then please do the needful.)

nycgirl123

Rough_Rock
Hello! there is a picture of the ring!

_2952.jpg

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Do you have any closer more clear shots of the stone?

sakari_8

Shiny_Rock
A gift from a loved one is priceless no matter what, I am sure you'll agree with me,
that it is the sentiment that counts....

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
John Pollard|1357746491|3351258 said:
I'd echo Lula's cut comments above. The numbers are favorable. It's predicted at the AGS 0-1 light performance border - depending on cut consistency and precision, indexing, etc. And it has a higher crown than conventional 60-60 makes, which should enhance the colored sparkle you see, in addition to characteristic brightness.

Dreamer_D|1357692394|3350783 said:
Finding a truly eye clean SI2 in that size (which is presumably a budget factor) is very hard
Absolutely. The pavilion-located inclusions really help in that sense.

04diamond<3|1357744015|3351235 said:
...I thought you liked it and were going to keep it. If you've already bought it and love it then I suggest keeping it. If you feel that we can get you a better stone for a better price then I'd return it...
Ditto that.
I agree with John.
Within the rounding tolerance is real close to the numbers I would look for in a 60/60.
The problem with the gia numbers is the rounding makes them useless with borderline stones.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are panicked for nothing nycgirl123. Many of us have said this diamond is just fine, including two experts: John and Karl. That is not blowing smoke. If this was really a dudd, we would be arguing for you to pursue a refund no matter the store policies. We have done so before with other posters!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results