shape
carat
color
clarity

3.5mm diamond in 4mm setting?

jenniepurls81

Rough_Rock
Hi! I have seven beautiful loose diamonds from an old vintage ring that I wanted to place in a new ring mounting. 1 diamond is 4mm, 2 are 3.5mm, 2 are 3mm, and 2 are 2mm. I found a few settings online that I like. One is a three stone setting that holds all 4mm stones. One is a five stone setting that holds all 4mm stones. They are a 4 prong basket style setting.

From your experience, do you think it's possible a jeweler could set the 4mm and both 3.5mm stones in the three stone setting? Or even the 4mm, both 3.5mm, and both 3mm stones in the five stone setting? Or does that extra mm or half mm mean alot and the stones that arent exactly 4mm wouldnt fit? Whew, hope this is clear! Thank you!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why not use all seven with the larger in the center?

jenniepurls81

Rough_Rock
I haven't found a seven stone setting that would work yet.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it were me, I'd find a setting that was made for the specific mm sizes of your stones.

Stuller has 5 stone bands that are graduated in size, and I think several of them would fit your stones much better than trying to fit your stones of varying mm sizes into a band intended for 4mm stones.

As an example, http://www.stuller.com/products/442...tionType=recommendation&recommendationId=1224

If you scroll down the page to the section "Can be set with", the 1.0tcw band is set with 1 x 4mm, 2 x 3.7mm, and 2 x 3.5mm diamonds. And in the "More Items to Consider," there are other styles of graduated bands shown.

I didn't check out Stuller's 7-stone bands but it might be worth search the site to see if they have some stock settings that would fit your 7 stones.

Stuller sells to the jewelry trade and not to individual consumers, so if you like any of the settings, your local jeweler could obtain the pricing from Stuller and would order the setting for you and then set your stones.

Best of luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results