shape
carat
color
clarity

3.4ct red malaya color shift garnet on loupetroop

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
Hi

May I ask some questions, mainly for learning purpose? :)

This is a red to brownish red (not sure if describing the color right) color shift garnet. It's 3.4ct with dimensions of 9.1x7.8mm.

Price: $300, is it reasonable?

Color: is this combination common? Is the color saturation good?

Thank you!

Size: read that dimensions matter more than carat weight. If that's true would you consider this size good for the price?

See Vids!!! FINAL PRICE DROP---Stunning Precision-Cut 3.4ct Malaya Color Shift Garnet! on Loupe Troop

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know a lot about malaya garnets but the listing says the stone has been in the vendors personal collection for years so it's likely one he considers much nicer than others. It's precision cut by Dan Stair so that's a big plus and you are getting a price based on an older cost. If you love it, I would contact Chris - he's good about answering questions and taking returns (within policy) if you don't love it.

amyek

Rough_Rock
I own the sister stone to this one. I love it. I have it set and wear it a lot. The color is very unique and beautiful. It is well priced. Dan is a great cutter. I'd say, snatch it up!

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
amyek|1450020587|3960928 said:
I own the sister stone to this one. I love it. I have it set and wear it a lot. The color is very unique and beautiful. It is well priced. Dan is a great cutter. I'd say, snatch it up!

Looked up your earlier posts to find the sister stone. It is lovely in yellow gold. Love the overall look of your yellow garnet ring.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So no question Chris has great prices and he works with some great cutters, like Christiane Morin. Chris would be the first to say that the stone has some brown in it, as the vast majority of garnets in the red family have. Some people are bothered by it, others love it. And you get to decide for yourself! :))

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1450123202|3961359 said:
So no question Chris has great prices and he works with some great cutters, like Christiane Morin. Chris would be the first to say that the stone has some brown in it, as the vast majority of garnets in the red family have. Some people are bothered by it, others love it. And you get to decide for yourself! :))

I'm still learning and figuring out what speaks to me. This is a beautiful stone but red and brown arent my color. Hope someone who likes this color combination will snatch it up. I really like how CS have different looks and 'personalities'. Diamonds (still my number 1!) are more uniformed in comparison.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I really like these Imperial Malaya garnets. They do have a strong color shift, and are more red in incandescent light. Those CFL bulbs are not friendly to these stones, and with these bulbs, the stone does go to a peachy brown color. CFL bulbs are difficult with many stones, and most don't look very true under these lights. I find that LED's are a better choice, but they are a bit more expensive. I'm still clinging on to my incandescent bulbs as long as possible.

The Imperial Malaya rough has gotten pretty expensive in Africa, the rough is about 4 to 5 times the cost of Rhodolite rough.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results