shape
carat
color
clarity

3.4 ctw August Vintage European Round Studs!

t86

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

I wanted to share the diamonds that will soon become my new studs! I feel a little weird posting about a luxury purchase during the current climate, but thought that everyone might appreciate a beautiful distraction.

I've been looking for 3 ctw OEC studs for the last few months. I was about to pull the trigger on a set of 3.0 ctw O/P August Vintage Rounds on Distinctive Gem's website when all of the coronavirus madness started. I decided to wait and save my money during a time of uncertainty. However, my seach was jump-started into high gear after Starfacet posted her 1.74 carat J VS1 AVR for sale at a fantastic price. Starfacet helpfully pointed out that Jon just so happened to have another 1.74 carat J on his website. I emailed Jon asking if the two stones would match, and he answered that they "couldn't be a more perfect match." The rest was history!

The diamonds arrived on Tuesday, and are totally gorgeous. Jon is a genius when it comes to cutting. The floral patterns are so beautiful, and the brightness from edge is edge is truly extraordinary. It looks like they're lit from within with a spotlight. I even had to clean my engagement ring because the AVRs were making it look bad. My husband, who is never really that interested in these things, even commented that "You're getting really good at buying diamonds!" I'll take it!

The stone I bought directly from Distinctive Gem was a S12, which caused me to pause. But Jon assured me it would be eye clean, and it is! I actually can't tell the two diamonds apart, so I have been very deliberate in putting the S12 lower on my hand each time I look at them so I can keep track of which is which.

I'd love everyone's advice on how to set them---how many prongs, basket v. tulip v. martini, white gold v. platinum, etc. Due to size, Jon did suggest that we go more than three prongs. I'm also going to get halo jackets for them when I need to dress them up and would love suggestions on those as well.

Thanks, Pricescope family! I look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts!

IMG-1223.jpg IMG-1220.jpg IMG-1216.jpg IMG-1214.jpg IMG-1208.jpg IMG-1205.jpg IMG-1193.jpg IMG-1223.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-1223.jpg
    IMG-1223.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Q

Queenie60

Wow! Those are spectacular. Congratulations and enjoy them.

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! So gorgeous, congrats! Six or eight claw prongs? In platinum! I keep seeing those on here and love it! Seeing yours remind me that I really want a pair too!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg. Perfection! Glorious pair! And I love your ering too! What a spectacular suite of diamonds you have! Can’t wait to see them set! How will you set them?

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So pretty

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Oooh this is so pretty! Can’t wait to see how you set it!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty!!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I hope sometime soon we get to see a video of those two in action!

t86

Shiny_Rock
I’ll get on it tomorrow!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah just lovely! great pair and I look forward to seeing them set. I love your ering too so need to go read the thread on it..EDIT there's no SMTB thread! outrageous! please remedy this if you can ;)2

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock

t86

Shiny_Rock
Ah just lovely! great pair and I look forward to seeing them set. I love your ering too so need to go read the thread on it..EDIT there's no SMTB thread! outrageous! please remedy this if you can ;)2

Will do! I need to get some more pictures. That will be this weekend’s project. I’m a bad Pricescoper.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
These are going to be some knock out studs!! Congrats on two absolutely beautiful oecs!
As far as setting them, I'm a huge fan of simple milgrain bezel set studs. But if you are doing prongs, I prefer 6 or 8. A 4 prong setting tends to make the round stones look square. I think Jon was right, I wouldn't risk these in 3 prong, for sure.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
These are exactly the AVR bezels I was thinking of, and Jonathon did them! They were JOTW. Just perfection.
20200416_213226.png

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Wow two of such gorgeous diamonds! You are very lucky indeed.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
These are exactly the AVR bezels I was thinking of, and Jonathon did them! They were JOTW. Just perfection.
20200416_213226.png

I love this setting too. I heard bezel setting add 1-2 mm to the diamond, not that yours need it ;-)

t86

Shiny_Rock
I do love that bezel setting, but am unsure if it would look good with halo jackets. I think I want a delicate halo with as little airline as possible.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stones! I would put them in 8 prong baskets!

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock
I 2nd the milgrained bezel setting.

I would also highly recommend la pousette backings to keep those babies safe.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
@t86 do not feel bad about sharing your new studs during this time. You did not cause the pandemic and, I would imagine, you were working on this while you were doing your part with regard to socially isolating. Also, your purchase is helping to keep vendors afloat during this difficult time, so what you think may be inappropriate, it is still appropriate. Plus, we need to have positive things to think about and talk about as a healthy diversion to the uncertainty.
As for the stones, they are AMAZING. OMG, I have total envy! And @CHRISTY-DANIELLE the mountings you posted are perfect!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
@t86 what is the size of your halo diamond?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
1.78! My engagement ring is just a hair bigger than my studs. Lol.

It looks larger... must be the magic of the halo!

t86

Shiny_Rock
Jonathan sent me CADs for the earring jackets! What size do you all like?

1.2 mm
image005.png

1.4 mm

image006.png

1.5 mm

image007.png

1.6 mm

image008.png

1.8 mm

image009.png

2.0 mm

image010.png

Cristallo

Shiny_Rock
1:2

Can’t wait to see the earrings. Your engagement ring is gorgeous too.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I like the smallest, the 1.2s. I don't think you should over take/compete with the center stone, I think the halo should just be accents. If you don't want that small, then I wouldn't go anything beyond the 1.4s. Also, keep in mind, as you know the halo effect is real and it will really increase their size so you need to make sure you are good with that. I would suggest you do a halo to match your e-ring.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are going to be gorgeous!!!!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!! I like the 1.2 or 1.5. If you did the 1.5 I would ask Jon to move the prongs between the diamonds like in the 1.2s. What is the total mm for both? That would help me decide as the 1.5 may be too big for your earlobes.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results