shape
carat
color
clarity

3/4 cttw diamond stud earrings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

EringNoob

Rough_Rock
Hello PS Community,

I recently received my 3/4 cttw round diamond stud earrings from bluenile and they were a little smaller than I expected in the box. I'm wondering if I should return it and get the 1 cttw earrings (which cost almost double >.< ), will they look substantially larger and worth the extra $1,000? Not sure if this helps, but my fiancee's ring size is 4 and she's about 5 feet tall. Thank you in advance everyone.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
EN, that''s not a bad size, and I imagine they would look nice (and probably bigger) on her ears. However, yes, you would definitely notice the difference in size going up. As for the price, may I ask what color and clarity you''re looking at?

EringNoob

Rough_Rock
They're the pre-set round diamond stud earrings in 18k white gold from bluenile
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-earrings-stud

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2008 11:39:06 AM
Author: EringNoob
They're the pre-set round diamond stud earrings in 18k white gold from bluenile
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-earrings-stud
Well, here's my thoughts. Yes, that's a big jump for some more size. However, what really made me pause is that you are not gauranteed a certain cut. It just says "min. of good cut". And the cut is what makes the diamond. The better the cut, the more it sparkles. You can have 1 carat each, but if they're not well cut, they won't do anything.

I'd personally go with someone who uses a well cut stone. Here is a link to Whiteflashe's already set studs. I can pretty much say the cut in these will be better than the BN stones. You can also check out other vendors, they all sell studs.

http://www.whiteflash.com/Fine-jewelry/Diamond_Studs/3-prong--Martini--Diamond-Earrings--READY-SET-TO-GO_1206.htm

EringNoob

Rough_Rock
But the bluenile website for those pre-set earrings has pretty good reviews?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
What is your entire budget? FWIW, I purchased ACA loose diamonds from WF and had them mounted into settings rather than buying preset stones. They look like 1 ctw stones because they''re well-cut, even though they''re actually only .82 ctw.

Once you hit the .50 mark on a stone, the price jumps. BN may not even be using exactly .50 stones as the description says, "each earring weighs roughly 1/2 carat, for a total diamond weight of 1 carat." That means they may be using stones that are .48 or .49, yet you''re paying for the .50 price jump. You''ll have better luck going with very well-cut loose stones in I color/SI. This may require a bit of patience.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I have Whiteflash''s ready set to go 0.8 ctw (they no longer offer this size), and I am very happy with them. I somewhat wish they were upgradeable, but that''s another issue altogether. They are very well-cut, and I''ve received many compliments on them. I am not sure of the quality of cut of the Blue Nile ones you purchased, but I can definitely vouch for the Whiteflash ones. And also 0.75 ctw is not that small. I think it''s a great size for everyday wear.

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock
Or you could consider BN''s ''create your own studs'' option, where you get to pick the pair of diamonds that they use, which both come with certs that you can use to scrutinize cut. I nearly did that, but decided against it when I realized I could just buy two bigger single diamonds from them for less than buying one of their preselected pairs, as well as because I decided against studs and went for dangles.

EringNoob

Rough_Rock
Update everyone. I finally gave my fiancee the 3/4cttw stud earrings and they look huge on her little ears. Thanks for everyone''s input, and I''m glad I didn''t get anything bigger.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2008 2:52:49 PM
Author: EringNoob
Update everyone. I finally gave my fiancee the 3/4cttw stud earrings and they look huge on her little ears. Thanks for everyone''s input, and I''m glad I didn''t get anything bigger.

Glad you are happy with them! .75 is a great size IMO. Diamonds always do tend to look smaller than you expect though..especially earrings! I think it''s because so many women wear giant CZ earrings that it distorts our perspective...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results