shape
carat
color
clarity

3/4 ct. OEC ring here soon

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
I told y'all you were a very bad influence, but this is probably my last PS-enabled purchase. After seeing photos of so many beautiful old cut diamonds, I want one. Not a big one, but not a tiny one, either.

Several weeks ago, when I started looking for platinum bands, I found a band I really liked at DiamondZone on ebay, but I JUST missed getting it. As I was looking through their antique/vintage rings, I spotted this ring and just really liked it for some reason, but I had no intention of getting anything like it so just made a mental note and moved on.

I kept checking DZ for bands and ran searches for various things and every time this ring popped up, I noticed and looked at it again. When it didn't show up in results that I thought it ought to be in, I thought maybe someone had bought it and was a little disappointed.

I've pretty much made up my mind that I only want platinum rings (love the weight and color, am fine with the patina, don't want the maintenance in WG) and DZ has a similar platinum ring for about the same price but I just don't love the style for some reason, try as I might.

Yesterday, I just couldn't stand it any more, so I bought this. I love the head and I like (love?) the diamond, although I can't tell whether it's a good pattern/cut or not (and don't care if I like the way it looks in person).

The owner and I exchanged several e-mails yesterday and she assured me that it is beautiful in person and that I have 14 days to return it, even after it's resized. (I just lose my resizing and replating and shipping back, but that seems reasonable to me.) They're going to try to ship it FedEx today so I'll have it Friday, but we'll see. Might not be here until Monday and I won't be home to sign for it.

I'm uploading the vendor photos 'cause that's all I have to go on right now.

I think it will make a beautiful right hand ring. It will look like something I might have inherited, and it's quite common to see women here wearing wedding sets or engagement rings on their right hands. I'd prefer something like this to a colored stone ring.

I will take all my new "treasures" to my local jeweler for appraisal as soon as everything is in my hot little hands.

And this will be the end (I think). If I don't love this one, I'll send it back and not look any more because I don't have to have an old cut. The only reason I have even considered spending money on this is that it caught my eye even when I wasn't looking for it and every time I see it, it makes my heart go pitty pat, like nothing else I've seen. I don't have to have an old cut diamond and searching for a loose stone then trying to choose a setting would just be torture for me.

I don't necessarily think that it's a bargain at $1700 or so, but I don't think it's seriously overpriced, either, if it's up to specs (center stone .8 ct, I SI1, side stones are single cuts four @ 3pts. each). (And you folks who know a lot about the old cuts and jewelry are welcome to give your opinion about the diamond, price, etc. I want to be sure I'm not overpaying, but if I love this as much as I think I will, I'm not as deal-sensitive as I am on other things.)

I like that it's protected in a bezel-style head that's not a bezel and really like the funky grape-cluster prongs. Even though I would never choose a square or rectangular diamond, the squarish look of this head appeals to me. I think the finger coverage will be more than modest, but not too over-the-top for my lifestyle, but we'll see.

Okay, I'm done, I hope! Thanks for wading through all my messages, but y'all are the only folks I can vent to who will understand the addiction. I have just a small case of it, thank goodness!

liz

DZ01.jpg

DZ02.jpg

DZ03.jpg

DZ04.jpg

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
I think it's really pretty. I think the setting/prongs are fabulous!

I'm not diamond expert, so I'll leave that to others.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
OOOOH!!! Very nice ring! It looks beautiful! Look forward to seeing your hand shots :bigsmile:

So... are you implying that the power of PS is too hard to fight??? I hear ya! I am weak when in the presence of all these gorgeous PS jewels :love: We can lean on each other for strength ;))

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Enerchi,

Yep, and you are one of the worst enablers :bigsmile: (along with Gypsy and Diamond Seeker and a bunch of others, who shall remain nameless to protect the guilty).

Fortunately, I don't have the budget or the peer pressure for the really high dollar stuff so I can be happy with the pieces I've acquired recently for a long time to come. There's something classic about platinum and diamonds and most of these pieces are several years or decades older than I am so I expect them to make someone else happy when I'm done with them.

liz

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
LibbyLA|1330555556|3137722 said:
Enerchi,

Yep, and you are one of the worst enablers :bigsmile: (along with Gypsy and Diamond Seeker and a bunch of others, who shall remain nameless to protect the guilty).

liz

LOL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I can hardly compete with the likes of Gypsy and Diamondseeker - they have the crown jewels, the holy grail and the Hope Diamond between them... I've only got a few pieces! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Enjoy collecting - you have achieved a certain point in your life and career where you can afford to treat yourself to some nice things - go for it! (oops... was that what you meant by enabling???? Sorry! :twisted: )

mylittlepretties

Rough_Rock
Woww, you are on a roll Liz!! This one looks amazing. I can't wait to see how you like it.

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
And let's not forget Phoenix! I really enjoy reading the RT threads where the regulars here are helping people find things and living vicariously through everyone who gets cool new jewelry, but I'm fortunate that I mostly don't want want anyone else is getting. I think I feel safest over here in antique/vintage, though, because there's some really cool stuff here and a lot of it is affordable.

I am very happy with all the pieces I've gotten recently, although I can't wear them all at one time since I only wear jewelry on my ring fingers. I got the 2+ ct. oval, which is a nice piece.

I picked up a bezel set oval sapphire with a couple of diamond accents for less than $200 on ebay after reading about people's bargains here, which started my "addiction", especially since I made up my mind one morning that I wanted one, found one immediately that ended in a few hours, bid on it, and got it. Appraiser appraised it at over $1700, said the sapphire was a nice one and 1.35 cts rather than the .65 ct the seller stated. Hmph. There are two on ebay that are similar enough for $500 and $1000 so that's not flying with me. Maybe that's what the ring would cost retail, but I'm skeptical.

Then I picked up a size 8 platinum spacer on DB for $100 to use on the outside of any 8.25 that's too slippy-slidey on my left hand. Then the engraved platinum wedding ring, then the itty bitty e-ring, then the diamond band, and then the larger OEC. That's in three months, but I'm done. I'm no longer getting ebay search results every morning and I can watch all those lovelies on my watch list without feeling any urge to get one.

I have asked myself if I'd have been happier if I'd spent everything on the one big ring instead of getting several things, but I don't think I'd have gotten that much more for my money in the big ring for the extra I've spent on the smaller things, and I have several beautiful things that I can enjoy, so I'm satisfied with how I've done things.

liz

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
mylittlepretties,

But there's this nagging doubt in my mind about this one because none of the old cut folks has ever posted a link to it when asked about such things. Maybe it's because it's not in the size range that people have asked about, but the "finders" seem to come up with some amazing links when asked. I'm hoping that it just slipped under their radar instead of them seeing it and not thinking it was worth a second look.

I don't need the "bestest", but I do want a nice diamond. There's no grading report on this one so no way to know what it really is. I won't care if it's lower than an I color as long as it's not yellow or brown (I love my J oval) and I don't care if it's SI whatever as long as it doesn't have big ol' visible inclusions.

The seller has good ebay feedback, the few negatives were mostly like what happened to me, where the item was sold from the store and the listing wasn't pulled quickly enough and someone bought it on ebay. I've seen DiamondZone mentioned favorably on PS several times and the return policy seems reasonable, so I think I'm safe with this purchase, I just don't have as much info as the regulars like to have.

liz

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Just got notification that my ring should be here tomorrow morning before 10:30. I'm not sure why DZ did the overnight thing rather than the two-day thing but they did.

The bad news is that I have doctor's appointments at 9 and 9:40 so it either has to get here around 8:30 (and sometimes I'm the first stop) or after 10:30. What to do, what to do?

liz

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
YIPPEE!!! do you have to be there to sign for it? Can you leave a note for the post, if you don't have to sign for it?
It will all work out smoothly - you have the power of PS behind you!!! you are.... "SUPER LIBBY"!

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
My guess is that a signature is required, given the cost of the ring. I may call FedEx later tonight and see what my options are. I don't know whether I can get them to hold it. If I can, I can go by to get it after I'm done at the doctor's office. Or maybe one of my next-door neighbors will be at home at that time, although it's not likely.

I should have it tomorrow, even if things are a little convoluted. They'd mentioned shipping it yesterday and I'd have it tomorrow, but they forgot about the resizing and said that might take a couple of days, so I really wasn't expecting to be able to get it until Monday or even Tuesday.

I hope I love it!

liz

ETA: just rechecked the FedEx info and it's direct signature required, with no option to hold at the office. Looks like I'll have to hope that they'll get to me first or I'll have to pick it up tomorrow afternoon or evening once it's back at the office.

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Update. I called FedEx and the nice rep has e-mailed my local office requesting delivery either before 8:45 a.m. (which might make me a few minutes late for my mammogram) or after 11 a.m., when I should be back home. If that works, I will have it tomorrow without worrying about missing the delivery while I'm at the doctor's office. I hope it's earlier rather than later!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Either way - a diamond delivery is a good reward for a mammogram :o Good luck tomorrow with both bling and boobs :lol:

(...and I hope your results are normal/clear healthy tissue)

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Enerchi,

Thanks for the good wishes. Over the years, I've had a couple of biopsies and several extra screenings because of possible problems and those things just don't bother me. I don't hate mammograms like a lot of women do, but they're not my fave, either. I like my gyno, too, so I don't dread the visit and it's usually all over pretty quickly and efficiently so I can get it all over with for another year.

You're right about the diamond delivery being a good reward. Hadn't really thought about it that way. I was thinking that of all the Thursdays to be getting an early morning delivery, it would be the one Thursday a year when I couldn't stay home because of appointments that were made a year ago! I just hope that FedEx is able to work the delivery in my favor rather than misunderstanding and scheduling it between 8:45 and 11. That would be my luck.

Maybe I can borrow some of that LIW "dust" so I get my reward before the mammo rather than after... Taking photos and posting might be some entertainment during the inevitable waiting.

liz

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
I know where I live, FedEx takes care of deliveries to businesses first/in the morning, and delivers to residential addresses in the afternoon. Because they have a "by 8 a.m." and "by 10 a.m." option for businesses (more expensive), they usually handle those first. Of course, I don't know if it's the same where you live.

I hope you're home when they deliver, and I hope all goes well with the mammogram. I had my first one last year, and it wasn't as bad as I had expected.

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Lotus99,

Mine was shipped to my home, but with the "before 10:30 a.m." stipulation. That really surprised me because I was expecting FedEx Home, which would have put it later in the day, and second day not next day.

When I got home a few minutes ago, there was a door tag saying delivery had been attempted at 9:45. I'd left a note for the driver (in case s/he hadn't gotten the e-mail message about before 8:45 or after 11) asking for redelivery later today and the driver did write "will reattempt today" on the tag, so I hope so. Otherwise, I'll have to get out in evening rush hour traffic to fetch it. I hate driving.

liz

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's absolutely lovely!! Looks just like the ERing my sister in law was just proposed to with/inherited :)

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Bless my FedEx driver! She showed up here at 11:15 with my box. She's a beauty!

Even with my less than perfect eyes, I can see the details of the head that have drawn me to this ring from the first time I saw it. It is blingy without being too much. I'm sure it will attract a lot of attention as a right hand ring. I love that it's vintage.

I can see a little warmth at times, but I I've already chosen a J oval so warmth doesn't bother me. It's definitely not yellow. It's beautifully sparkly and has a lovely flower pattern in the center when viewed with the loupe. I have no idea what the clarity is except that I'm pretty sure it's not I1. I do see some things, but what are crystals and what are dirt (I don't know how you'd ever get all the crud off the bottom of the stone), I can't tell. There aren't any black or dark spots and there's definitely nothing visible with normal vision or my reading glasses.

The only thing that I'm less than thrilled with is the weight, and I knew that would be the case because it's gold rather than platinum. That's not a deal breaker, by any means.

I have to give Ilya and Kala at DiamondZone a big hand. I bought this Tuesday afternoon and they were going to try to ship it that day and have it to me today, but that was without resizing and rhodium plating. They managed to get the work done yesterday and the ring out and sent it overnight next morning so I still got it today.

Sorry for the bad photos, but I'm stuck with the cell phone cam.

liz

DZ05.jpg

DZ06.jpg

DZ07.jpg

DZ08.jpg

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
It's lovely. I'm so happy you like it.

And, it's good to hear the FedEx driver was so accommodating!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lovely! So glad the FedEx worked out for you! I really like that setting and the stone looks great!

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
The FedEx driver has been on my route for years. She still asks about my dogs (specifically a Great Pyrenees), and I haven't had them since November of 2004. I figured that if she was the driver for today that she'd take care of me and she did. She obviously planned her route so she could swing by again as soon as possible after I was supposed to be home and I really appreciate that. Maybe I need to call FedEx customer service and tell them how much I appreciate what she did.

liz

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
LibbyLA|1330636529|3138589 said:
The FedEx driver has been on my route for years. She still asks about my dogs (specifically a Great Pyrenees), and I haven't had them since November of 2004. I figured that if she was the driver for today that she'd take care of me and she did. She obviously planned her route so she could swing by again as soon as possible after I was supposed to be home and I really appreciate that. Maybe I need to call FedEx customer service and tell them how much I appreciate what she did.

liz

YES! :appl: She'd love to hear that her little bit of extra attention really made your day - that would be so sweet of you to do that for her!
That's some memory that woman has... I can't remember my kids names or what I did an hour ago - I'm impressed!

petit singe

Rough_Rock
What a gorgeous ring! The setting is just beautiful!! :love: :love:

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Enerchi,

If you'd ever seen a Pyr, or heard one bark, you wouldn't forget it :bigsmile:. Think polar bear with floppy ears and a very deep bark. Plus, if you were the stranger on the other side of the door being barked at, you were also hearing the sounds of teeth chewing on the doorknob or doorframe or window sills. I may still have the brass doorknob that Mindy dented and mauled so badly it had to be replaced.

Mindy was on the small side for the breed, at 85 pounds, but they are a large-framed, very hairy dog so they look a lot bigger than they weigh. I'm surprised at how many people still ask me about the dogs, this many years after they're gone.

liz

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, I've met and been 'furred" by one! (SHEDDERS!!!) Where I used to purchase my glass supplies for stained glass, the owner brought his in to work every day. His was definitely a very gentle giant polar bear - lovely dog - but never heard him bark. Only 85 lbs? It must be the fur but they look like they'd be heavier. I love watching a gorgeous dog like that run - so much grace!

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Enerchi,

As I said, Mindy was small for the breed. Males are typically 125-150 lb. but they look a lot bigger because they're lanky. Those big backsides are 75% hair and so are the big chests and necks. All that hair and extra skin are protection from predators that the Pyrs have been bred to keep away from the livestock. I clipped Mindy during the summer and she looked like a giant poodle of sorts, but with straight hair.

If you'd ever heard the Pyr bark, you'd remember it. They have a really deep bark. It doesn't sound like they're going to chew you to bits, but they do sound like they mean business.

I used to do stained glass, too! Now I've moved on to quilting (by machine only, start to finish, but will be working on art/fabric postcards for the foreseeable future 'cause I've made about all the quilts I can stand to make for a long, long time).

Even though Mindy hasn't been a part of my life for years, I think I'm still finding leftover fur. I live in a townhouse with a tiny yard so she was 100% house dog and there was Pyr hair everywhere. I wish I'd been into spinning and knitting 'cause I could have had several garments from all the hair I got off her.

We're getting way off topic here. I'm not sure what Mindy would have thought of jewelry. Probably not much.

liz

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results