clarity

3.26 G VS1 H&A RB -- thoughts on stone and help with setting

heyitsadriana

Rough_Rock
Hello PSers!

I will be receiving this stone from Ritani in 5 agonizingly long days:

video from Ritani's vendor:

link to GIA cert:

Is there anything in the photos/videos/report that you think I should look out for when I receive the stone?

I would like to set the stone in a YG shank with a diamond melee. Please help me with setting recommendations!

What is the minimum recommended width for the shank?

Should a 3.26 carat RB be set with 4 or 6 prongs?

I inquired with Stephanie Gottlieb, Lauren B and Ring Concierge, all of whom seem to think a 4-prong 1.8mm shank is sufficient. I like the thin-ness of their rings but want it do be durable.

My wedding band is a 14kt YG 3mm band with 0.1 carat shared prong diamonds. The ring sits about 3mm high and has bent the gallery of my original engagement ring; a problem I am looking to avoid this time round. My original plan was to get a setting made that is the exact same as my wedding band, but think that will look too chunky. I tried to attach files but it didn't work.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't use such a thin shank. Most folks say 2mm is the minimum width, especially with a large stone or a shank w stones. I would personally suggest 6 prongs because I prefer how they look, but 4 is fine. I'd like to see your current band. You should be able to use the "attach picture" button

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with lovedogs. With a stone that size, I’d want 6 (or even 8) prongs for security, and 1.8mm is awfully thin, especially is you want diamonds in the shank too.

heyitsadriana

Rough_Rock
I wouldn't use such a thin shank. Most folks say 2mm is the minimum width, especially with a large stone or a shank w stones. I would personally suggest 6 prongs because I prefer how they look, but 4 is fine. I'd like to see your current band. You should be able to use the "attach picture" button

I took screenshots of my photos and was able to reattach them. See below!

heyitsadriana

Rough_Rock
I agree with lovedogs. With a stone that size, I’d want 6 (or even 8) prongs for security, and 1.8mm is awfully thin, especially is you want diamonds in the shank too.

1.8 sounded thin to me, too. Pictures have been attached in a comment.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t know why the eight came out as a smiley. What thickness is your lovely band? I’d be tempted to go for a similar thickness.

heyitsadriana

Rough_Rock
I don’t know why the eight came out as a smiley. What thickness is your lovely band? I’d be tempted to go for a similar thickness.

3mm. I'm concerned it might look too chunky.My ring size is 7.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the best way to see if it’s comfortable is to try on another ring with it, might give you a better idea of what feels right for you.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, that’s not unusual for that to happen :lol:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You will need a spacer band to avoid your wedding band not hurting your new ring. Because of how the stones are set in the band, the sides of each stone kind of "hang over" the side. They'll basically eat/saw into any other ring you have unless you have a spacer. Luckily it's easy to find a thin spacer on etsy or similar for pretty cheap. They can be super thin (like 1.2 or 1.5mm)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I would avoid having stones on rhe shank of your new ring and would do a 2mm width or even a knife edge so it feels thinner on your finger.

heyitsadriana

Rough_Rock
Personally, I would avoid having stones on rhe shank of your new ring and would do a 2mm width or even a knife edge so it feels thinner on your finger.

Thank you so much for your advice! I decided on a ~2mm pave setting; however, i will also be purchasing a plain gold spacer band to protect the stones on both rings. I'll share once I receive the final product. Thanks again!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results