shape
carat
color
clarity

3.01 Carat- 2.8 HCA Score. Help Please!!

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
An independent third party appraisal (not from a jeweler trying to sell you something) would have helped in determining any issues, but with your return period ending tomorrow I doubt you’d be able to get one in time. I think you can do better of terms of cut within your budget while staying around 3ct, but you will need to compromise on size a bit if you want to go up in color (and it sounds like an I is too warm for you). With all of your hesitations with this stone, I think returning it is probably a good idea.

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
Cant hurt to see this and see if there is any movement on the price. 5FBAF5E4-80C1-4DAE-B271-AA92202A914D.png

headlight

Ideal_Rock
An independent third party appraisal (not from a jeweler trying to sell you something) would have helped in determining any issues, but with your return period ending tomorrow I doubt you’d be able to get one in time. I think you can do better of terms of cut within your budget while staying around 3ct, but you will need to compromise on size a bit if you want to go up in color (and it sounds like an I is too warm for you). With all of your hesitations with this stone, I think returning it is probably a good idea.

If the return period is ending tomorrow then you need to go back to the seller now and say you are not certain and you would like to see more stones. This way you have the option of walking away as well as "buying" it again. Was there any other stones there that you liked? Perhaps if you tell them your concerns they can work with you to find something that will give you more certainty and you would feel better about the color. I would think that they would try to accommodate you as no jeweler wants to lose out on a customer who is buying a 3ct diamond. Start with them and while you are working with them, do some other "shopping", either online or in store.

leighton1984

Rough_Rock
I believe you will need at appt at Victor Canera, you can't just drop in. Yes VC is highly trusted. I think you have gone to a lot of trouble to get that diamond and save money and get the most bang for your buck as not a lot of people are comfortable with wire transfer and especially not flying elsewhere to pick up to save the tax. So just for all those efforts alone you should perhaps keep it? If you go on the search function here on PS you can get an idea of what diamonds will cost you with different specs. This is something that is going to take a little time unless you want to pay for a super ideal of which they are all excellent (Brian Gavin, Whiteflash A Cut Above, Victor Canera, High Performance Diamonds (Crafted by Infinity).

Yeah I have searched on PS and found only five or so diamonds w the similiar size— and the table and depth were much closer to 60/60 than mine... one I had pulled from Whiteflash (3.06, I, SI1) but they said it was ivory vs white when inspected...

Otherwise seems like a large jump in price- or dropping down to a 2.7/2.8.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Cant hurt to see this and see if there is any movement on the price. 5FBAF5E4-80C1-4DAE-B271-AA92202A914D.png

That's a beauty! Still I color so if the color is the issue then this isn't going to work but who wouldn't want that - yum!!! And she won't have to fly anywhere (although the tax will be painful!!!). You have great taste!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Yeah I have searched on PS and found only five or so diamonds w the similiar size— and the table and depth were much closer to 60/60 than mine... one I had pulled from Whiteflash (3.06, I, SI1) but they said it was ivory vs white when inspected...

Otherwise seems like a large jump in price- or dropping down to a 2.7/2.8.

yes! although I would want to know more about the whiteflash stone. was it an ACA? If so you may want to revisit that one.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Oh, that's another thing... I think your stone is VS1? You should be looking at SI1s to get a little more with regard to the other categories.
How do you feel about the size you are wearing right now? Are you totally comfortable with a stone that large? I do think that @NicoleNeedsHelp is spot on about seeing what a super ideal looks like because when you see one you may very well rethink the option of going to a 2.7-2.8. I have ACA studs in the 90-pointer range, E color and you can see them across the room and they are nothing in size like a 3 ct but the super ideal precision cut makes them insane regardless of size. Oh, that's what I wanted to mention regarding getting the biggest you can without taking into consideration the quality... people will look at it and say to themselves that you got a large diamond all right but it isn't a nice diamond or it is tinted, etc. I am not saying yours is as I think it looks pretty in the photos but I feel confident that is what people said about my old diamond. Or maybe I am being paranoid but I don't think so. My E color solitaire is so much smaller than the one I am referring to... that was a 9.29mm and my current E is a 2.01mm but I know what people are thinking when they see my current one and it is definitely not the same that they were thinking of my much larger but much inferior stone. I don't think yours is this way but if you are questioning, and you have, let's not have any doubt and get your return in while you can and then let them provide you more options while you also shop on your own online and in physical stores if you want and see what else. I do think that the advice others here have given you with regard to going down to a 2.7-2.8 which is still a large diamond but in super ideal... it will kick a non-super ideal 3ct diamond's ass lol!!! After all I've learned over the years, I've come to know that a smaller yet finer diamond is nicer than a larger but lesser quality one... but each person has to decide for themselves what constitutes "nicer" versus "lesser". Very personal for each person. I'm coming from a certain place in my diamond "journey" lol, and you are in another. I do have to mention that I love your concern over the sentimentality.

leighton1984

Rough_Rock
If the return period is ending tomorrow then you need to go back to the seller now and say you are not certain and you would like to see more stones. This way you have the option of walking away as well as "buying" it again. Was there any other stones there that you liked? Perhaps if you tell them your concerns they can work with you to find something that will give you more certainty and you would feel better about the color. I would think that they would try to accommodate you as no jeweler wants to lose out on a customer who is buying a 3ct diamond. Start with them and while you are working with them, do some other "shopping", either online or in store.

I bought on Blue Nile:(. They have pretty much had terrible customer service throughout...

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Oh... if you want/need to stay with them, people here on PS can give you guidance on stones from them.

leighton1984

Rough_Rock

I think I’m OK with the I now. I tried on an F, G and H and honestly I couldn’t really tell the difference... so maybe I have color issues! I saw warmth in every one of them! I did see much more yellow in the J I tried on. I feel like I am going crazy in this process!!

does the blue in sunlight bother any of you? Should it be that blue?

is the biggest issue the table percentage then? Trying to make sure I understand.

leighton1984

Rough_Rock
I think I’m OK with the I now. I tried on an F, G and H and honestly I couldn’t really tell the difference... so maybe I have color issues! I saw warmth in every one of them! I did see much more yellow in the J I tried on. I feel like I am going crazy in this process!!

does the blue in sunlight bother any of you? Should it be that blue?

is the biggest issue the table percentage then? Trying to make sure I understand.

Also THANK YOU ALL for being so kinda and helping me!!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I have not taken a look at my Brian Gavin G with the med bl fl in the sunlight because it is a pendant close to the neck so I can't see it on myself. I will have to make a point of seeing it. But personally I think it is really cool. Remember, blue cancels out yellow so it is definitely helping your stone have a more colorless effect. And perhaps that is why you didn't think yo saw a difference when comparing that with stones of higher color if they did not have the med fl. The table size is not an issue in and of itself. Many people prefer a larger table because of the brightness is offers (which is good in the case of a warmer color diamond if you want it to be "brighter") and also it offers a big look. These are not bad things. When talking about "ideal' or "super ideal" specs, that doesn't cover the table size of your stone, but those are narrow parameters. That is where the GIA cut grading system comes in. They determined in their study that there are MANY sets of proportions that can create a beautiful diamond. There are different schools of thought on all this. At the end of the day you have to love it whatever that means for you... if it is knowing it is a certain "make" of a diamond, or if it is about the color or the size or a super clean high clarity stone, or if it is from a store with the blue box, etc.

leighton1984

Rough_Rock
I have not taken a look at my Brian Gavin G with the med bl fl in the sunlight because it is a pendant close to the neck so I can't see it on myself. I will have to make a point of seeing it. But personally I think it is really cool. Remember, blue cancels out yellow so it is definitely helping your stone have a more colorless effect. And perhaps that is why you didn't think yo saw a difference when comparing that with stones of higher color if they did not have the med fl. The table size is not an issue in and of itself. Many people prefer a larger table because of the brightness is offers (which is good in the case of a warmer color diamond if you want it to be "brighter") and also it offers a big look. These are not bad things. When talking about "ideal' or "super ideal" specs, that doesn't cover the table size of your stone, but those are narrow parameters. That is where the GIA cut grading system comes in. They determined in their study that there are MANY sets of proportions that can create a beautiful diamond. There are different schools of thought on all this. At the end of the day you have to love it whatever that means for you... if it is knowing it is a certain "make" of a diamond, or if it is about the color or the size or a super clean high clarity stone, or if it is from a store with the blue box, etc.

Man, this is so tough. The angles aren’t ideal either... is that why most people say to return? Because of the HCA score being 2.8? Or could this be a great stone?

I’ve also noticed that zero jewelers have heard of HCA or follow it that I have spoken to— is that weird??

It’s surprisingly hard to find jewelers that carry 3 carats in their store to compare in Orange County!

leighton1984

Rough_Rock
yes! although I would want to know more about the whiteflash stone. was it an ACA? If so you may want to revisit that one.

It’s the second link that anon34985 included above actually!

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
That's a beauty! Still I color so if the color is the issue then this isn't going to work but who wouldn't want that - yum!!! And she won't have to fly anywhere (although the tax will be painful!!!). You have great taste!

I am actually very new at all of this, so thank you for your complement. Although, I’ve seen so many diamonds now (hello OCD) that I’m getting a bit better. I bought a HPD and returned it in favor of VC’s stones. There is something about the cut of his stones that makes them magical, in my opinion. But this is all personal opinion, so I hope OP buys what she loves. I saw so many diamonds in my search and I am so happy with my final decision. I don’t want to get in trouble, but VC worked with me on the tax.
OP- what is your heart telling you? It sounds to me as though you are not loving that stone? I just hope you get something you love! This is A big purchase (my ring is actually worth more than my car-oops), so find a stone that makes your heart sing. Good luck! Keep us posted as we are excited for you. You will make the right decision!

As far as jewelers not hearing about HCA, I also had that experience. I can maybe try to explain— PriceScope people want the best of the best of the best. Super ideal diamonds are the top top top top of the line as far as diamonds. Most people (including me 9 months ago) out there have never heard of a super ideal stone. The problem is, once you see a super ideal, nothing else compares (usually, unless you find a unicorn). I bought a 1.8 F, VVS1, XXX - let me tell you the F, VVS1 doesn’t even compare to the stone I just bought- 2.23 carat, G, VS1, super ideal.

For me, I tend to like to see things in person. This really helped me With diamonds. I saw a ton of diamonds and I didn’t fall in love with any of them. Then, I saw a super ideal and holy moly! But, everyone likes different things- so follow your heart. Don’t get stressed about time- you may need to ask Blue Nile if you can have a few more days or let your stone go. If the thought of returning your current stone breaks your heart, then it may be your stone.

simbelmyne

Rough_Rock
For such a big purchase (for me at least), I wouldn't get a diamond that makes me hesitate. Take advantage of their return policy and your in-person pickup while you can, really look at the diamond to make sure you get it "mind clean", otherwise you'll be looking at a "meh" stone in your heart for a while...

I've bought two diamonds before, first time at BN, then at Whiteflash. To me, having scope images is really important and that's my main gripe with bluenile.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
I know you want an upgrade but I feel by reading your posts it all seems so rushed. Please forgive me if that’s not the case. For such a large purchase - take your time. Go out and see other stones. See lots of them. Make an appt. IF you want to and visit VC. You’re on a deadline with your current stone- personally I would return it. And not bc it doesn’t look lovely- bc it does plus I like fluorescence in my stones. But, I dunno, for such a large purchase you should love it and not second guess yourself so much. You are in good hands with ppl here that are so knowledgeable.

Also, it seems you might be color sensitive. Must you have 3 carats? Maybe go down in size to be in the colorless or near colorless range. I’m not color sensitive, but many are.

GL! :)

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m not an expert but if I were in your shoes, I’d return the stone while you can. I know it would be a bummer to not have a ring on your finger for a while but that might be best in this case.

look at more stones and find one that you like in all lighting conditions. This is an expensive purchase and if you can return it, you probably should if you’re unsure.

leighton1984

Rough_Rock
Thank you!! Yes, hard to fathom returning a bit— bc I wonder if I will question the next one just as much... Or any one! So it sounds like HCA score is really important to this audience— and do you prefer AGS vs GIA? Do you guys say to return it just from my feedback— or looking at the specs?
Thanks for dealing w me!! I really appreciate everyone’s help! I wish one of you lived closer to look at it in person lol.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you!! Yes, hard to fathom returning a bit— bc I wonder if I will question the next one just as much... Or any one! So it sounds like HCA score is really important to this audience— and do you prefer AGS vs GIA? Do you guys say to return it just from my feedback— or looking at the specs?
Thanks for dealing w me!! I really appreciate everyone’s help! I wish one of you lived closer to look at it in person lol.

I would venture to guess there are a lot of ppl here with high HCA scores that love their stone regardless. Are you one of those ppl? Only you can answer that. My stone is not ideal, but I still love it. I’d like a bigger stone someday and that would by why I’m upgrading.

*The florescence doesn’t bother me
*K color doesn’t bother me
*SI 1 doesn’t bother me
*60ish table doesn’t bother me.
*GIA report doesn’t bother me
*Now size, doesn’t bother me enough to charge my CC tmrw for a bigger stone, but someday... :)

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ok. The fact that you don’t know how you feel or will feel about this diamond or future ones indicates that you are not ready to commit to such a huge purchase for the rest of your life. Why not return it and purchase from a vendor with a liberal trade- up policy? I had never seen an ideal cut diamond and didn’t know what I was missing. I’m glad that I found out. Bc that allowed me to KNOW what I want in a diamond. Also, it’s not just the hca score. That’s the start. Get an ideal scope as well so that you can be sure. I vote return.

Last edited:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahh I just went to a jeweler up in LA on Olive but not VC. It VC highly trusted? It’s about an hour away so idk if I can make it today before they close— ugh. This was just under $31,500— did a wire to save 1.5% and flew to Portland for no sales tax! Yes please help!! Is this the best I will get for that price?? My hubby to be likely doesn’t want to go much higher...

If you are not color sensitive and really want to maximize size, why not start with a white flash ACA J? There is a 2.88 J VS2 priced at 28k or so.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are not color sensitive and really want to maximize size, why not start with a white flash ACA J? There is a 2.88 J VS2 priced at 28k or so.

I like this idea and tend to agree that if you are hesitating then this isn't the stone for you

MsShnooks

Shiny_Rock
I’m in very different time zone, but can you still return it? I do know a thing or two about being bothered by tint in diamonds and it doesn’t go away. It will gnaw at you. I can also see that fluorescent glow which I personally don’t like either (I don’t think high end jewellers stock stones with more than faint fluorescence). Have you tried on any 2.7-2.8ct stones? They will only be a tiny bit smaller so it’s more of a mind thing, really + your hand looks petite so it’s a substantial look anyway.

The table below was posted on here by @Garry H (Cut Nut) (the guy who invented the HCA) to give you a sense of what to expect with different diamond proportions. Not sure if this applies to 60/60 (different proportions) ones which again, some of the experts and non-experts on here love or not but as you see there’s a strong general trend for precision-cut ACAs on this forum. Not that there haven’t been posters a bit underwhelmed when they received theirs too... My personal conclusion is to have a look in person to see if you’re happy with a diamond (I’d discount a rock with a terrible HCA of like 5, but 2.8 could as well be very pretty).

EA5F0B00-AAD4-4784-B50F-A2762EB834ED.png

Last edited:

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
I have to say, I think the advice you are getting here is genuine and with love. I completely understand your situation. I, very recently, bought a stone and drove 4 hours to Vegas to pick it up (Same reason you flew to,Portland). We must live somewhat near each other as I am also in So. Cal. near LA. I had the stone that I picked up in Vegas and a jeweler told me the diamond looked ”warm”. At that time, I didn’t notice it. I went to VC with EVERY intention of keeping my stone, but I just wanted to check the color and be nosey with his stones. I brought the Vegas stone and I was prepared to show VC how my stone beat his. I was completely wrong and I had to return a $26000 stone that I just drove to Vegas for and paid for a night in Vegas for and I felt like a jerk. It is embarrassing returning.

I don’t think you need to buy from VC, but it might help you to see some stones in person to decide— what color you really like, would you notice a 2.8 from a 3 carat and what you think about cut etc. I suggest VC because I really enjoyed my experience with him, but also because he is close to you. WF is a great vendor, but in Texas. IMO, it is worth seeing and comparing 4 or 5 stones next to each other And making someone explain to you how the angles work together etc. Then you can buy with confidence from whatever vendor you prefer.

If you have time, maybe even take your current stone into VC or any other place and compare and take videos. Finding YOUR stone feels like you won the lottery (except you no longer will have money to play the lottery :razz:). I was seriously giddy like a little girl when I picked my stone. I was trying to act all cool and calm, but I was jumping up and down inside.

So, yes, I would send the stone back. It does look like a nice stone, but maybe not a NICE stone. This is something you will have for many years and pass on to your kids. But, everyone here will support whatever decision you make.

Last edited:

Dee Dee

Rough_Rock

I read that HCA and PriceScope are sort of a community and the tool is heavily used by PSers. Many jewelers aren’t aware of HCA for that reason. There is a niche market for those that are huge super ideal cut fans and for them, it’s with good reason. While some see it as a helpful tool, others state it isn’t the end all be all for reasoning.

I don’t have an ideal cut stone but my triple x stone is very beautiful to me. I look at it every day but not one person has grabbed my hand to get a good view of my stone since I purchased it. It would be borderline rude, possibly, if they did.

Overall, I suggest you google HCA and will find some opposing viewpoints and data. Since the stakes are so high in your case, ensuring you are getting both viewpoints is recommended. Fyi, I am not bashing this community but suggesting you do some additional research.

leighton1984

Rough_Rock
I read that HCA and PriceScope are sort of a community and the tool is heavily used by PSers. Many jewelers aren’t aware of HCA for that reason. There is a niche market for those that are huge super ideal cut fans and for them, it’s with good reason. While some see it as a helpful tool, others state it isn’t the end all be all for reasoning.

I don’t have an ideal cut stone but my triple x stone is very beautiful to me. I look at it every day but not one person has grabbed my hand to get a good view of my stone since I purchased it. It would be borderline rude, possibly, if they did.

Overall, I suggest you google HCA and will find some opposing viewpoints and data. Since the stakes are so high in your case, ensuring you are getting both viewpoints is recommended. Fyi, I am not bashing this community but suggesting you do some additional research.

Thank you thank you!!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What did you decide?

leighton1984

Rough_Rock
I literally can’t decide. I’ve been sitting here re-reading this thread and staring at my ring for the last hour!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results