shape
carat
color
clarity

2to3 carat cushion cut setting: HALO or CLASSIC SOLITAIRE?

carrotguy

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I'm looking at a cushion cut diamond in the 2.2 carat range, faces up pretty large.
Around F color with about 1.15 proportions, so slightly rectangle.

NEED HELP DECIDING:
Should I go with a cushion cut setting or classic solitaire?

thanks.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: 2to3 carat cushion cut setting: HALO or CLASSIC SOLITAIR

You need to try to figure out what your GF would like. Is she more classic, traditional or do you think she would appreciate the
extra bling on her finger? Both are beautiful but just somewhat different feelings.

atp223

Shiny_Rock

I don't know you or your girlfriend, but I have been lurking for awhile and actually just went through a similar dilemma so I thought I would share. I'm a girl, and have been involved in picking out my ring (the bf didn't want to "mess up"). I love the shape of cushions, and wanted a cushion-shaped halo for my round brilliant diamond (to make it look cushion shaped). We were originally going to go with about 1.7 carats, which measured about 7.7 mm in diameter. That size looked great with a halo. The halo probably added about 1 mm (0.5 on each side, I wanted it to be small/delicate). I essentially just wanted it to look like it was 2 carats, which the halo helped me accomplish. But we ended up going with a 2 carat stone (8.14 mm diameter), and to me, it looked a little too big and blingy with the halo still on it (which surprised me, because I always thought I was the type to want a really fancy setting). Now, talk to me a year from now (I've heard of "diamond shrinkage syndrome"), and I might be feeling differently...but for now, I'm really excited about it/happy with it without the halo (we are just doing pave around the whole band).

Also, I am 5'3" and have a size 4 finger. From lurking on here, I've learned that the size of your finger can have an effect on how big the diamond looks, so you may want to take that into consideration along with her personality. Would she want the diamond to be really "out there" and blingy, or would she prefer more of a subtle look?

Another option is that you could have it set in a plain setting, and either immediately or when you go pick out wedding bands, you could let her choose her own...

Good luck!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock

I would not do a halo unless you know she wants one. If you don't want to ask, then just get a cheap setting until you can propose.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

I agree with central square...I would try to find out if she wants a halo.

Also, if you are shopping for a cushion, may I recommend this video? It explains the different types of cushions and I found it to be invaluable when deciding on my own engagement ring

http://www.vimeo.com/7579666

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results