shape
carat
color
clarity

2nd try, even though I typed in the final choice, I guess I messed it up!

Which SuperSim would you chose, if you didn''t want to spring for a diamond...

• A diamond dispersion film enhanced Cz aka Asha?

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • An Interlap, aka Winfield?

• Any old Cz, as long as it looked relatively non-glassy?

• An Interlap w/diamond dispersion coating like ''Asha'' but at less than 1/2 the price?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, I screwed it up, let me give you (4) choices!

win

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey Win,

I chose Interlap from Winfields...Have read many good things on DT about Wink and the product...
wavey.gif

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Hiya Josh!

Thanks for voting. I have access to Interlaps, and am exploring the 'diamond coating' possibilities. I have an Asha (second hand), and am rather appalled at the price Wes is getting for them.

I'm curious to see if there is a market for such 'Super Sims' at most likely less than half the price of an Asha.

win

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I've never seen any of them except the uncoated interlap, which looks good to me. Do they make a coated interlap? I thought the coating technology was patented and difficult to engineer--did I fall for hype?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I dont know enough about them to answer.
However I would like to know.
I have a friend who is looking for one.
Would you be willing after your poll is done to explain your choice and why?
Maybe a little about the pros and cons of each?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not too sure what all the choices *are* exactly...but I like 1/2 price for the same type of look...doesn't make sense to me to pay alot of $$ for a sim when you can save for a smaller version of the real thing over time...
2.gif

Speaking of sims...I love the Signity Star CZ's...have a pendant and it really blows away any other CZ I have seen and the symmetry is H&A.
2.gif
eBay has tons and they are much cheaper than retail...that is where I got mine. Retail is around $100 - $200 per carat but on eBay they are something like $25 per carat!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 8 mm. Interlap from Wink, set in the Solstice Octet setting. When I got it, I thought it looked amazingly real. Unfortunately, when placed next to a real diamond, you can see that there is a difference.
Still, I think that it is a great ring and I wear it a lot and have never gotten questioned about it's authenticity.
Here is a picture, or two, of the two rings side by side. Can you tell which one is the real one?
2.gif

108_0846 (2).JPG

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is another picture in daylight.

108_0884 (2).JPG

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
I'm going to venture a guess, that the six pronger is real?

There is no other coated Cz that I'm aware of *yet*, but I've been toying with the idea of doing exactly that; getting a supply of Cz from Interlap in Thailand and having them coated, then marketing them as the 'Circe' or some such. I was just curious to see if there was a market for a cheaper better looking Cz than the 'Asha'.

*grin* I have to do something with all this free time, (but not much money) on my hands!

win

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hee..Well Kayla you gave it away when you stated the interlap was in the Octet setting which would be on the left...(In the 1st pic..Second pic you have the rings swapped)

The refractive index compared to diamond is almost double which might explain the difference from the pic on the left to the real diamond on the right...

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Win, do you have a source for the coating? Is it hard to do? Have you researched it already, or are you just thinking about it?

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
I've found a lab willing to do it, depending on amount of stones I need done. I don't think it could be done without a full fledged lab because of the high heat required.

The most it will add to the cost of a stone is about $20. So if I can get the stones for approximately $20 apiece, and get the coating, I would try to only charge $100-$150 per stone, as compared to Les' charges of $400-500.

win

P.S. At least this is my current thinking, I'd have to factor in mail costs, etc.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Win, that's not an unreasonable business idea and is pretty much the way things work in the super-sim business anyway.

Van Graff's supposedly have the same look as Ashas and are much cheaper.

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Hiya Hest...

VG's are beautifully cut and set, but don't have the diamond look of the Ashas because they don't have the coating. I have a set of VG earrings I love, and would love to see the coating on them as well, because it would put the Asha to shame.

(I went a little (ok, ok, maybe a little more than a little) overboard when I had a job, but remember my great love of sparklies!)

Even my jeweler was befuddled totally by the Asha, (though he knew it was a Cz from the weight) because of the coating, even under the 'scope. I honestly don't know why the coating makes such a difference, I just have to admit, it does.

win

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I said interlap, but keep in mind that I've never seen one in person. I guess if it looks like a real diamond, I'd POSSIBLY wear it. Most likely, if I couldn't afford a real diamond eng. ring, I'd get another stone, authentic that is, rather than a CZ. A CZ eng ring isn't my thing. Also, I've seen CZ eng. rings in person and they sure scuff up quickly!

FWIW, Fay Cullen web site has great bands for under 500 with small diamonds and i think I'd get one of these before shelling out $400 for an Asha.

Michelle

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
I just got the interlaps back from the diamond coating lab, and I'm going to run over to my neighborhood gemologist with them. Will let everyone know the outcome!

win

Amber

Rough_Rock
I would love to find a great CZ pendant or a slide. I have no idea where to start. Are there internet sites or what would I search for on ebay?

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Amber

There are some internet sites, like freecz.com, Wink Jones site, the Asha site (though it is *very* expensive) betterthandiamond.com, and some others. If you are looking for well cut cz's however I'd go w/interlaps.

win

Amber

Rough_Rock
Pardon my inexperience... but I am not sure what you mean by interlaps. Is that a website or a brand? Thanks for your help!!

Mexi

Shiny_Rock
Win - you have my attention with this thread.
appl.gif

How do they look? Do you have others sims to compare it to? Did the coating make a visible difference before and after?

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Mexi

They look great. I have an Asha to compare it to, however, the interlaps were heart shaped (I needed hearts for a project), and the Asha is a princess, so there is a certain amount of differences.

Unfortunately my resident gemologist had to leave early today (kiddy emergency), so I couldn't get a more expert opinion. As soon as I talk to him, I'll let you know more.

Amber, Interlap is a brand, sold in the US as Winfields. The Freecz.com address is where you can purchase them as a consumer.

win

tessa

Shiny_Rock
I love them all but if I could get coated stones for half the price of Asha that is definitely the way I would go.

Win, what happened to your job?

Lots of water gone under my bridge since last we spoke.

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Tessa,

My job was deemed 'redundant' after the corporation I was employed by was purchased by a larger corporation who incorporated 'off shore' to save US Taxes.

*sigh*...now not only jobs are going 'off-shore' so are the corporations, plus, they don't have to follow US guidelines if a foreign entity.

Any way, I spoke to my friendly gemologist, and he was amazed at the quality of the coated interlap. They are very lovely.

I'm thinking now I'll sell the pair of coated hearts, (they are about 1 1/2 to 2 carats apiece) for earrings, and use the proceeds to purchase a ton of interlaps, including OME's, OMC's RB's Regents and Flanders...the former in both clear and light yellow (really a J-K shade), and the rest clear in all sizes 1 carat and above...get those coated and see what happens.

win

Mexi

Shiny_Rock
Win: Anyway you can post a pic of the coated stones? Do you believe it is the same coating as used on the Asha's?

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Hiya Mexi...

I will be posting a pic, as soon as I unearth my video recorder. Unfortunately, my digicam is too ancient to take a good pic of the stones (dates from my 50th bd, and I'm going on 55, so that gives you some idea.)

I believe the process to be similar, since I know Les talked to these folks, and actually sent them some cz's for the coating himself. This was before the Asha was available to consumers. (per the diamond coating rep.)

win

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results