shape
carat
color
clarity

2ct Round Help

Pugdaddy

Rough_Rock
Help deciding between a 2.01 Shane Classic for 16.5k and a 2.01 for 18.5?

Looking at this “Shane classic” for 16.5k

thoughts?? E4913FFC-A547-4C75-9654-46AE52D3EFEB.jpeg D45E6A19-7C4C-4357-9415-3180D9F3C63A.jpeg

2.01 for 18.5k
Worth the extra 2k??

260FF4C8-5C1C-48F2-905A-4E0A8D9081E5.jpeg E6D538D5-B9C2-40B4-ADB7-1EB4F675ABCD.jpeg

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can run the numbers through the HCA tool. Anything that scores 2 or below is worth consideration.

I can tell you that I dont think this one is going to score well. The pavilion angle is too high. Should be in the range of 40.6 to 41.0 and with
that crown angle, it should be at the lower end (40.6). This stone is also deep at 62.6 %. We usually aim for 60-62 (62.3 max).

Here are the ranges we like to stay in
depth 60-62.3
table 54-58
crown 34-35 degrees
pavilion 40.6-41 (40.6 goes with higher crown(35); 41 goes with lower crown (34))

After it passes the HCA we like to request and Idealscope (or Aset) image to check for leakage.

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi @Pugdaddy ,

The crown and pavilion angles are not complimentary on this stone. Also, the pavilion angle is outside the PS recommended range, greater than 41 degrees. I’m sure you can find better.

Pugdaddy

Rough_Rock
Hi @Pugdaddy ,

The crown and pavilion angles are not complimentary on this stone. Also, the pavilion angle is outside the PS recommended range, greater than 41 degrees. I’m sure you can find better.
Would you suggest spending an extra 2k for the other ring?

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The second one has complimentary angles but has a very shallow crown and a large table. I would stick with the parameters that tyty333 listed.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first stone you should reject. Steep 35 crown paired with a steep 41.4 pavilion is not complimentary. You want the crown and pavilion to have an inverse relationship, meaning steep crown/shallow pavilion or vice versa.

Additionally you really want to keep the pavilion at a max of 41. Wonky things happen at 41.2+. The first stone is 41.4 and with GIA rounding and averaging taken into account you almost certainly have problem areas on this stone if you could get an advanced ASET or idealscope image.

The second stone is a worthwhile consideration. However, it's what we call a 60/60 stone, meaning the table and depth both equal 60 or close to it. While the 33 crown is shallow, it performs well in a 60/60 when paired with a steeper pavilion like 41. Again, the concern with the 41 pavilion is actual values may creep at or over 41.2 and you may develop issues that will be apparent on the ASET or IS images. It's hard to find a well cut stone with 41 pavilion that isn't a problem so it is more risky IMO.

Also, not everyone likes the style of a 60/60 style diamond. While the flat tops and shallow depths equal a little more spread they tend to favor more white light vs the big bold rainbow flashes that the Tolk style ideal cut stones offer.

If you do some searching you can find more data. I wouldn't buy a 60/60 without knowing you like that preference first.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This one fits the numbers and is better clarity and price than the second one you posted. I’m not sure if Blue Nile can provide advanced images, though.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Pugdaddy

Are you tied to Shane & Co?

Roughly where are you located?

Are you open to buying online?

What is your budget?

What timescale are you working to?

Is the stone for yourself or someone else?

What are your / the recipients preferences in terms of the colour, clarity and carat weight (size)?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have a pretty healthy budget that will allow you to take a swim in the super ideal pool, if you so wish.

WF ACA 1.941 H SI1 @ $18,386 wire

Proportions are amazing. Love the 55.8 table and crown/pavilion combo. Should deliver plenty of sparkle, so no disappointments there. Also, this stone is owned by WF and has been fully vetted so it's guaranteed to be eye clean and the inclusions that it does have will not negatively impact light performance. This is a true hearts & arrow (H&A) stone exhibiting ideal cut and performance. Additionally it has a full array of performance and symmetry images to confirm the quality.

FYI, while the carat weight is just a smidge under the 2 carat weight mark -- notice the spread dimensions! It's measuring 8.01 x 8.05, which is actually the same spread as the first 2.01 H stone you inquired about.

Add to the fact, WF has amazing customer service and a very generous upgrade program (simply spend $1 more to get full value of your original diamond purchase towards a new diamond) and you have a winning combo.

Capture99.PNG

WF ACA 2.028 H SI1 @ $19,792 wire

If you have a little splurge money and getting over the 2 carat hump is important to you, then this is a great alternative. Again, a true H&A stone with ideal cut that will be a sparkle bomb. And same great upgrade program and customer service.

While I really like small tables, this one is just slightly larger (and still within ideal tolerances) at 56.7. Doubtful your eyes would appreciate the difference IRL viewing truth be told. Also, I like the slightly fatter arrows this stone has with the 76 LGF's (numerically lower LGF = fatter arrows = bigger bolder rainbow flashes). Again, the difference between 76 and 77 is minimal, and 77 is actually a little more balanced with white light & rainbow light performance.

Lastly, pay attention to the spread again. This one measures 8.08 x 8.11. Not quite as large as the 60/60 stone, but this one is based on Tolk ideal proportions and will have more rainbow light return. And the difference is only 0.10mm, which is about 1/256th of an inch. It takes most human eyes about 0.20mm in a side by side viewing to see a size difference. This is about half that, so it will be virtually undetectable to the naked eye.

Capture98.PNG

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
Oh please don’t drop that kind of money at Shane Co. There are so many better options and with the help of those in this forum, you will find an amazing stone.

Pugdaddy

Rough_Rock
@Pugdaddy

No
Salt Lake City
Would prefer to see in person
What is your budget?
15k-19k
1 month
Myself
What are your / the recipients preferences in terms of the colour, clarity and carat weight (size)? H or better, s1 or better, 2ct

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No

Salt Lake City

Would prefer to see in person

What is your budget?
15k-19k

1 month

Myself

What are your / the recipients preferences in terms of the colour, clarity and carat weight (size)?
H or better, s1 or better, 2ct

Does your $15-19k budget include the setting, or is that just the diamond only?

I think the two WF stones I presented up in post #10 meets your criteria, with exception to in-person viewing. WF is located in Sugarland, TX (suburb of Houston) but they ship across the US for free.

More importantly, WF stones are cut for beauty. They come with AGS000 certification (best you can get) and exhibit true heart & arrow (H&A) symmetry. Plus, they have a generous lifetime upgrade program that only requires you spend $1 more to receive full credit should you decide to upgrade later. Additionally, WF provides a full array of images to confirm their light performance and optical symmetry.

Overall, WF is a very transparent company that is as much an enthusiast as they are a dealer/vendor.

If you'd like to view in-person, then I'd suggest you contact WF directly and ask them for a few different options. One is you could pay for the stone, and they ship to you. If you don't love it, you return for a refund. Easy peasy no hassle returns as verified by many here. Alternatively, they could ship to an independent appraiser in your area and depending on your thoughts upon examination could be returned or kept once full payment is made.

You have a pretty healthy budget that will allow you to take a swim in the super ideal pool, if you so wish.

WF ACA 1.941 H SI1 @ $18,386 wire

Proportions are amazing. Love the 55.8 table and crown/pavilion combo. Should deliver plenty of sparkle, so no disappointments there. Also, this stone is owned by WF and has been fully vetted so it's guaranteed to be eye clean and the inclusions that it does have will not negatively impact light performance. This is a true hearts & arrow (H&A) stone exhibiting ideal cut and performance. Additionally it has a full array of performance and symmetry images to confirm the quality.

FYI, while the carat weight is just a smidge under the 2 carat weight mark -- notice the spread dimensions! It's measuring 8.01 x 8.05, which is actually the same spread as the first 2.01 H stone you inquired about.

Add to the fact, WF has amazing customer service and a very generous upgrade program (simply spend $1 more to get full value of your original diamond purchase towards a new diamond) and you have a winning combo.

Capture99.PNG

WF ACA 2.028 H SI1 @ $19,792 wire

If you have a little splurge money and getting over the 2 carat hump is important to you, then this is a great alternative. Again, a true H&A stone with ideal cut that will be a sparkle bomb. And same great upgrade program and customer service.

While I really like small tables, this one is just slightly larger (and still within ideal tolerances) at 56.7. Doubtful your eyes would appreciate the difference IRL viewing truth be told. Also, I like the slightly fatter arrows this stone has with the 76 LGF's (numerically lower LGF = fatter arrows = bigger bolder rainbow flashes). Again, the difference between 76 and 77 is minimal, and 77 is actually a little more balanced with white light & rainbow light performance.

Lastly, pay attention to the spread again. This one measures 8.08 x 8.11. Not quite as large as the 60/60 stone, but this one is based on Tolk ideal proportions and will have more rainbow light return. And the difference is only 0.10mm, which is about 1/256th of an inch. It takes most human eyes about 0.20mm in a side by side viewing to see a size difference. This is about half that, so it will be virtually undetectable to the naked eye.

Capture98.PNG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results