shape
carat
color
clarity

2c Marquise E-W Ring -too "eccentric" to surprise her with??

kamancali

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time engager! My time has come, and I really want to suprise her with a PS-approved E-ring! Here's the catch- I've been obsessed on these boards with EW Marquise, but afraid that would that be too "exotic" to suprise her with? Afraid most of her friends WILL blab, so no way to really be sure she'll LOVE it- but I defiantly don't want her secretly not liking it for 50 years!

Ok enough with the setup, here's the specs!

Thinking this rock: 2.02 Marquise, VS2 H, $10,400
<<update- someone bought it! ughh. Well here's the spec for discussion>>
http://www.solomonbrothers.com/Dial....rapnet.com/userfolders/30003/Certs/11955.jpg

Looks eye-clean according to report, and the price looks great from Solomon Brothers. Negative is it's a EGL cert, but if its really a SI1 I, the feather is still on the side. Color may come down too (J maybe?)- not good for a marquise? I input it's specs into the AGA calculator here- gets a good 1B cut rating!? (not sure how to interpret this...). Am I going stat crazy? How do I go about getting this to a local appraiser- do I have to bu y the rock, or have it drop shipped for inspection?

&

Thinking of these rings, modified EW for marquise:
Verragio PARADISO-3003R
http://www.verragio.com/Verragio-Engagement-Rings/Paradiso-Engagement-Rings/PARADISO-3003R#section3
(their blog says anything can be modified)

Ritani Floral 1RZ2531BR
http://www.ritani.com/diamond_engagement_rings/item/1165/in_collection/18
(not sure if I can mod yet...)

Ladies (and Gentlemen) out there , and comments? Am I reaching too far, too fast, without a safety net? Am I just jealous of Portia de Rossi and Catherine Zeta's EW? Should i play it safe? Thanks so much for reading- all comments short or long, sweet or sarcastic are welcome!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Re: 2c Marquise E-W Ring -too "eccentric" to surprise her wi

Just checked our the settings...hmmm...not sure they can set e-w...you may need to contact the vendor and ask.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think it's too out there to surprise with. I would AT LEAST try to see if she likes marquise many don't. Unless she really just doesn't care at all about her jewelry, in any way shape or form... I would advise about doing some sort of recon. You might need to be sneaky about it, but I wouldn't just "go" for it.

I adore, and I mean ADORE east west set ovals. They look terrible on my fingers. I've tried them on again and again, and they look fabulous on my close friend's hands. But they look awful on me.

I wouldn't spend 4-8K on a setting for a stone you aren't sure she loves.

You have to chose fancy cuts by pictures and an ASET if possible.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think something like this would look good with a marquise. Or you can maybe consider an oval. I think, generally, an oval is a better surprise stone than a marquise. More people like them, whereas marquise... some people (and I'm not one of them) really don't care for them.

custom_oval_engagement_ring_1_m.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

I don't know much about marquise cuts so I can't really advise you on the stone. But you were also asking about whether this type of ring would be OK as a surprise, and I would give that some serious thought. Both the marquise cut and the E/W setting are very taste-specific and not at all common for engagement rings. There's nothing wrong with getting this type of ring if you know without a doubt that it's what she wants. That usually means she's pointed it out in a store, in a magazine, on a friend's finger, etc. But I just think it's too risky otherwise. So yes, I do think it's too eccentric for a surprise engagement ring, and I would advise you either to go with something more traditional (like a round brilliant diamond in either of those lovely settings) or involve her in the decision. Lots of people who want to preserve the surprise of a proposal would be surprised themselves to learn that their future fiancees might actually want to be involved in the ring selection process!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Okay... let's start with the basics... why do you want to surprise her completely?

Can you just let her know the engagement ring is a possibility, so you can get her input... but have the actual ring itself and the date and time be a surprise instead.

Think about it this way. Would you buy her a car or a house not knowing what she wants? Would you just get her a BMW Mini in neon green as a surprise? Here you go honey.... drive this for the rest of your life?

The Mini's a great car. And Neon green is a color some like. But... it's not something you surprise someone with, ya know?

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock

Hi, welcome to PS. Why do you want to surprise her instead of asking for her input to design her ring/pick her stone? If you share the reasons with us, we can see if there is something we can help consider. Especially since a Marquise is a very niche style - so going the surprise route is completely doable, but some background would be ace.

:))

MqLove

Rough_Rock

It's definitely out there, it reallly depends on taste- I love marquise, but not everyone does. That being said, I dislike E-W set marquise, so even liking the cut wouldn't do it for me.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

For a surprise with an east west setting, I'd probably go with something like this. The oval and the elegant pave band are pretty unobjectionable, so it only leaves one element as a risk-- the east west orientation.

With your proposed setting and diamond shape it leaves too many factors to chance... the setting style, the orientation and the shape of the stone. I would suggest picking one 'surprise' aspect and taking a risk on that, if you have to (although I really do suggest trying to find a way to find out if she even likes east/west settings and marquise.

1154_90402059_V3.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You asked if a 2c Marquise E-W Ring is too eccentric to surprise her with.

IMHO, Yes.

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1311745920|2977776 said:
You asked if a 2c Marquise E-W Ring is too eccentric to surprise her with.

IMHO, Yes.

I would agree with Kenny....Both a marquise cut AND set in an E-W setting??? :errrr: Too dangerous combo if she hasn't given you a hint that she likes this style...

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy|1311741718|2977740 said:
I think it's too out there to surprise with. I would AT LEAST try to see if she likes marquise many don't. Unless she really just doesn't care at all about her jewelry, in any way shape or form... I would advise about doing some sort of recon. You might need to be sneaky about it, but I wouldn't just "go" for it.

I adore, and I mean ADORE east west set ovals. They look terrible on my fingers. I've tried them on again and again, and they look fabulous on my close friend's hands. But they look awful on me.

I wouldn't spend 4-8K on a setting for a stone you aren't sure she loves.

You have to chose fancy cuts by pictures and an ASET if possible.

Totally agree with all of this.

For fancy cut stones you need images to determine light return and the cut. Can't "buy by numbers" like a RB.
Also-- when it comes to fancy diamond shapes, many girls either love it or hate it. I for one love pears but would pass on a marquise.

With that being said I would be afraid to spend several thousand on a setting when I wasn't sure if it's her style and would love it.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock

Portia DeRossi's ring is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Has she seen it and do you know if she likes it? I can't imagine anyone not loving that ring. That said, women are very particular about which shape diamond they prefer.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have to post you a link to an e/w marquise that I love...its gorgeous. But...I do have to agree with the others that
a surprise E/W marquise is taken a chance on your part.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-ring-custom-from-greenlake-jewelry-works.45126/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-ring-custom-from-greenlake-jewelry-works.45126/[/URL]

Edit - scroll almost to the bottom to see the completed ring.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Maybe find the marquis stone that fits your parameters and propose just with the stone? Let her know you favor this stone but you adore her so if this is not the stone to build her ER around, you would be happy and willing to return it and would look forward to starting a new stone search with her, with her preferences in mind? Just make sure you time the marquis purchase and the proposal so you have plenty of time left on the return period.

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock

Gypsy|1311744274|2977764 said:
For a surprise with an east west setting, I'd probably go with something like this. The oval and the elegant pave band are pretty unobjectionable, so it only leaves one element as a risk-- the east west orientation.

With your proposed setting and diamond shape it leaves too many factors to chance... the setting style, the orientation and the shape of the stone. I would suggest picking one 'surprise' aspect and taking a risk on that, if you have to (although I really do suggest trying to find a way to find out if she even likes east/west settings and marquise.

I think THIS would be totally do-able. Albeit its not marquis, but its an EW setting. A bit more classic IMO.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

For a surprise e-ring? No way!!!!!! Don't do it! I like them fine but there are maybe 20 other choices I'd make before that!

I would only do a surprise with an ideal cut round stone unless she has indicated that she loves a friend's princess cut or something like that. Women have particular tastes in jewelry and I can tell you right now that men do not always read that taste correctly!

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock

Hope the OP gives us some background before the self doubt paralyses him into inaction...

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would not surprise her with such a unique ring. I would definitely get her input as to what type or rings she likes. Good luck.

princesss

Ideal_Rock

I'd like to just ditto Gypsy's whole post.

What's interesting to me is that you say that YOU have become obsessed with the EW marquise, but you say nothing of what your GF's style is, or what she likes. Only what you like. That's not exactly the way to go about picking a gift (especially an expensive one that is meant to last her entire life).

Does she really want a surprise? If so, scope out her jewelry box - what kind of styles does she wear on a regular basis? What does the rest of her jewelry look like? Modern, antique, large, small, etc? Does she tend towards really funky pieces that she switches out a lot, classic pieces she wears daily, or a mix?

2 out of 3 of my friends that were surprised with their e-rings don't like them, and both of them have 3 stone RB rings, which is a fairly common style but not right for *them*. But neither of them wanted to tell their SO that it wasn't right, so both live with a ring and just focus on how much they love that their DH. But this jewelry-loving girl gets a little sad seeing their faces fall just a little bit when they talk about their ring.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock

You mainly see marquises in diamond wedding bands where they are very attractive. As a center stone, they're much more unusual so I think an E-W marquise is going to be too exotic as an engagement ring.

I admire your risk-taking; it's probably why your GF loves you but you want to manage the risk wisely. If you choose a non-round diamond as the center stone, a classic setting is a safer bet. You mentioned some celebrity rings. Is she a big admirer of celebrity style? A lot of the stars today are wearing emerald cuts or asschers. If so, I would go with one of those shapes before a marquise. The Harry Winston inspired 3 stone emerald cut or emerald cut with baguettes is a classic ring that will never go out of style. Asschers are like emerald cuts, just square but they look good in the same classic settings. Of course, there's a chance that any shape-even the round brilliant-may not be the shape she prefers but rounds, emeralds, asschers are safer bets right now. Other than those shapes, I'd say the oval is the safest bet.

As you're shopping, one thing to keep in mind. Even a woman herself has a hard time visualizing how a ring is going to look once the ring is on her finger. There is a famous brand ring designer very popular here whose rings a lot of women love until they try them on. Then they don't like them. It's simply impossible to tell how well a ring will work for a woman until she has it on her hand.

So my advice is don't go into the proposal entirely without a safety net. Make sure the ring and diamond is returnable. Even if she loves the ring at first, there can always be some comfortable/wearability factor that doesn't show up until she's worn it on her hand a couple of days. James Allen has a 60 day free return and resizing period; this gives you enough time to set up a nice proposal and gives her time to try out the ring. Also, as others have mentioned, some women may feel uncomfortable asking their fiance if they can change a ring, so do your best to make her feel comfortable about coming to you if she finds a problem with the ring. It may not happen; she may love the ring, but she will really appreciate it if you're open to modifying/returning the ring for something else. Who knows? Your ring choice may inspire the two of you to find something that both of you like even better.

I'd also make sure the engagement ring can sit flush with a wedding band. That will make shopping for a wedding band go a whole lot smoother.

Good luck!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I love how the EW marquise looks. Point of fact, I'm planning to get one in the same size range for my next anniversary!

Buuuuuuuut ... in general, I think a "surprise" e-ring is a bit of a risk, no matter how you cut it. I won't even say that the traditional 6-prong round solitaire is a safe bet: if I'd been stealth-proposed to with one of those, I would have felt a bit crestfallen (no offense to the ladies who own them: many are beautiful, they're just not my style). You say you're afraid "most" of her friends will blab - does that mean there's one or two whom you might trust?

Alternately, maybe consider sneakily introducing the topic of shapes she likes somehow ... either via a celeb's ring in a magazine, or a rock that catches your eye in a shop window, or whatever.

But if you really really really feel like you want the total surprise - maybe propose with the stone in a temp setting, and tell her you'd like to choose the setting together (and she can change the stone if she wants) - that way, you get the best of both worlds.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock

No no no. Definitely no! Marquise is very taste specific. It's my least favorite stone if you want my honest opinion. E/W is also too unusual for a surprise. Heck I'm on the fence about it, but it may not look good on her hand. I was surprised with an ering that was apparently exactly what I implied I'd like. I didn't like it. I was on my 4th ering by the time I walked down the aisle. There were a lot of hurt feelings regarding that. So I gotta say - this is probably not a good idea. Sorry :(

LGK

Ideal_Rock

The other thing is- this type of setting, E/W, is the least flattering possible. You have to have absolutely killer-long, slender fingers for that type of ring to look good. For example, I have hands that look like a five-year-olds- no knuckles, short fingers, squishy. An E/W set *anything*, but most especially marquise, would look beyond terrible on me, no matter how gorgeous the ring itself. So that's something to take into consideration.

And in general, I wouldn't do it as a surprise unless you have a good idea she likes that look too- that's *such* a specific look, and marquises in general are kind of a love-it-or-hate-it thing.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock

To give you something to think about, here's an idea of what a good 'safe' setting choice would be:

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/settings-with-matching-bands/18k-White-Gold-Tapered-Baguette-Diamond-Wedding-Set.html

The setting goes with a wide variety of diamond shapes which tells you its classic. In the recently purchased pane in the lower right of the page, you can check out the ring with real diamonds in different shapes and sizes. Clicking on the picture on top of the page takes you to a page with a small handshot movie with the e-ring and wedding band together on the finger.

Is it a sure bet she will like it? Of course not, there is no one setting that every woman likes, but its pretty classic yet unique, goes with a wide variety of diamond shapes, and it fits flush with a wedding band. Best of all, it comes with a 60 day return/exchange period for the diamond and the ring so the risk is really negligible as long as you make your GF comfortable that its really OK if she wants to exchange the ring (a really big point here).

I actually like the idea of surprising her with a nontraditional shaped diamond, just not a marquise, for reasons the other members have mentioned.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I agree with everyone else who said that a marquise diamond set e/w is just too taste specific to surprise someone with. Why not get her involved in picking out the ring, or at least giving you an idea of what she likes?

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock

kindred|1311799185|2978245 said:
I agree with everyone else who said that a marquise diamond set e/w is just too taste specific to surprise someone with. Why not get her involved in picking out the ring, or at least giving you an idea of what she likes?

ditto! Keep us posted on what you two(fingers crossed) decide.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results