shape
carat
color
clarity

$2800 I color vs $3600 G color

TheRingSeeker

Rough_Rock
I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a 0.714 I VS2 for $2,874 but I'm having second doubts about the I color. I'll be putting it on an 18k WG Legato Sleek Line Pave ring and I'm afraid that the I color will stand out.

I found a similar diamond in G color but the price is nearly $800 more, at $3,635, which is about 28% more than the other diamond. What would you do in this case?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I had that extra $800 I'd get the G.

If I didn't I'd get a smaller G.

That's what I'd do ... which doesn't matter at all ... but you asked.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, I'll take the G color + I'd prefer its specs.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
G VS2 for me. I'd think I'm spending a good amount on a setting (and the setting has F/G mellee) the differential for a higher colour stone for the centre would make it worth the extra outlay (but it might be for you).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not for me. I'd take that 800/and get larger I.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the scheme of things the 800 is not that much more. If you feel she is color sensitive some people detect (and are bothered) by color starting around h, I, safer to get the G.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm like Gypsy... If I had the extra $800, I'd get a larger I colored stone. You won't be able to see a lot of tint, esp in that size range.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go with the G-VS2 - for me, (1) the color difference would be noticeable (and I prefer higher-color diamonds), (2) I like the G-VS2's smaller table, and (3) find no appreciable size difference between the two diamonds. If the $800 extra money is a true budget-breaker, maybe I'd stick with the I-VS2. However, if the ring is a forever ring (unlikely to upgrade/change the diamond in the future), that's another reason I'd go with the G-VS2.

0.701ct G-VS2 = 5.69x5.71x3.52
0.714ct I-VS2 = 5.72x5.74x3.52

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I VS for me and save 800 bucks

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can easily see anything H or lower with my eyes, so I'd have to go with the G. If, however, you're not color-sensitive, then go for the I. I'd suggest going to a jeweler and looking at G, H, I diamonds to see what you think.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree about using the 800 to get a larger I. And you could always get one with fluorescence to give the color a boost. I also think that I is not very tinted, especially in that size. I consider myself quite color-sensitive but facing up in daylight, I thought my friend's I was an E.

bcr83

Rough_Rock
They both look like nice stones, personally I would stump up the $800 and get the G and you can be comfortable knowing you got a top quality cut, clarity and colour combo.

Edit: Size wise you are talking "0.01" of mm in width in the larger stone. You cannot visually see a 0.01mm difference so I wouldn't be shopping for size between these two just the colour. The larger I is no different in finger coverage to the G.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO, I colour is under-rated, and I too would also spend more money and get the best I for my budget, as I doubt I would be able to tell the difference between an H and an I side by side!

DK :))

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go for the G.

TheRingSeeker

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the great input. In the end I wanted the ring to be final (e.g. Perfect) so I went with the G. I hope she'll like it!

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Good choice. :) The G will be very white. H would have been good, too, if a unsuitable H had turned up. With I color, I think most people will eventually learn see the bit of tint in it, even if it takes them awhile. Blue fluor helps the face-up color but doesn't help much to hide body tint from the side. G was a great choice, if you aren't certain that the recipient would not mind the hint of yellow in an I.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results