shape
carat
color
clarity

.25ct emerald from Gem Show!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Another find from the gem show is my new deep green emerald. The color is about right for it, except it has that velvety green that the pics never like to show. It is a nice deep green. Completely eye clean, and almost loup clean except for the small inclusion in the picture (30x mag). .25cts. I wanted a good quailty emerald in my budget even if its smaller.

emeraldpsks.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s pretty clean. I''m guessing it''s African in origin????

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yup. African not columbian. Remember that pic was taken at 30x magnification...much more then a loupe. It is SUPER clean except that tiny loup visable inclusion.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/6/2010 8:18:17 PM
Author: RockHugger
Yup. African not columbian. Remember that pic was taken at 30x magnification...much more then a loupe. It is SUPER clean except that tiny loup visable inclusion.
African stones are typically cleaner than Columbian, and that appears to have typical African color to me. I''m glad I guessed it
31.gif
. I love emeralds. Are you going to set it? It''s very pretty.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
hehe your so smart :razz:. Like the sapphire, I am not sure LOL. Gotta have $$$ first. I have another 4k to pay the GIA then we will talk about setting these bad boys.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nice little stone Rock Hugger
35.gif

In general the African Emeralds trade at about 1/4-1/2 the price of the Columbian stones. The African stones tend to be cleaner than the Columbian like TL stated, but usually exibit a touch of black or gray.The Zambian stones out of Africa can display a yellow-green,spinach-green,or grey-green. These stones have a wider range of color vs. Columbian, but lack the “bright” vibrant color of the Columbian (The Glow).
One of the most desired color of emerald is a bluish-Green to Green, with strong to vivid saturation and medium to dark tone. Premium stones exhibit excellent transparency, with good evenness of color and minimal zoning. The African stones are colored by vanadium and Columbian by chromium.

A really fine deep colored transparent African emerald looks like a Tsavorite.

African emeralds seem to dominate the lower/middle end of emerald market and this is also attributed to the superior cutting methods of the African vs. the Colombian goods.

That is a fantastic looking stone, What are your setting ideas?
21.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice. Great color!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty, great color!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous!

Thanks Colored Gemstone Nut for the explanation.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Very nice!

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Lovely stone. Great colour.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results