shape
carat
color
clarity

$250K to spend - please help

diamond14

Rough_Rock
I hope this is in the correct section. Anyway, I could use some help sorting through my purchase decision.

Let me lay out what I think I want to get so far, based on what my soon-to-be wife likes.

Cut: round, oval, or emerald
Color: G or better
Clarity: VS2 or better
Size: 5.5ct or more [preferably over 6]
Fluorescence: none [jeweler says this is important in larger stones in terms of the investment]
Excellent symmetry, polish, and cut

Here is what I am between:

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-search?pt=setform&track=NavDiaSeaRD#diamonds_pid=LD03086940 [not exactly on the money for the color]

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-search?pt=setform&track=NavDiaSeaRD#diamonds_pid=LD03215901 [not exactly on the money for the fluorescence]

and also a stone my jeweler likes but isn't online that is 5.51ct, F color, VS2, and everything else I mentioned above, for $245k.

Please tell me if you know of some better value, have any ideas, and give me a range of how much negotiating I can probably do. It's hard for me to tell how hard/low I should push.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
Both diamonds are nice.

Do you have the angles your jeweler's stone?
Also, can you see other large G and H diamonds near you? If you haven't done so already, it might be helpful to get a reference for color.

For consumer purposes, a diamond is not a good investment, even the big ones (cf Kris Humphries).

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Faint fluorescence usually does not carry a price discount.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are going to spend 250k on a stone you can't see?

I would call BGD right away personally, if I were spending that much money. Ask for Lesley and work with them to find the right stone for you.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ask your local jeweler for the GIA report number and post it here. We can evaluate the stone for you from that number.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1382998391|3546345 said:
You are going to spend 250k on a stone you can't see?

I would call BGD right away personally, if I were spending that much money. Ask for Lesley and work with them to find the right stone for you.

That's exactly what I was going to sat.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, no doubt. I would call BDG, White Flash or GOG about sourcing a stone for me. No way I would lay out that kind of money without knowing exactly what I was getting!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have thought that Colorless would be important in terms of investment if no fluorescence is. Also would higher clarity in the VVS and above range not be recommended. Ofcourse that would reduce the size. Diamonds are not good investments but I am not sure in this size and price range. Just a customer but I would think you should speak to a professional appraiser rather than a diamond cutter first as they know the value of stones over time. Maybe they would suggest near colorless and lesser clarity, I don't know but it would be interesting to hear back from you on what a professional would suggest.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go with good old gold and have them call in stones. I see you like emeralds too. I'd shoot for that. They look more attractive IMHO at larger CTW. Rounds end up looking like door knockers.

Plus you actually can appreciate the higher clarity you're looking for. Plus I could be mistaken, but I think you'd probably find it easier to search for than an ideal cut round at that size.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamond14

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1382998711|3546349 said:
Ask your local jeweler for the GIA report number and post it here. We can evaluate the stone for you from that number.

There are not a lot of stones within my criteria just out there and floating around, according to the jeweler. Another family member used the same guy on a 10ct. stone and was completely happy buying off of just specs. It is going to be hard to get 5 or 10 stones in at the same time. Most of the direct sources don't want to send on approval.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1383000154|3546367 said:
I'd go with good old gold and have them call in stones. I see you like emeralds too. I'd shoot for that. They look more attractive IMHO at larger CTW. Rounds end up looking like door knockers.

Plus you actually can appreciate the higher clarity you're looking for. Plus I could be mistaken, but I think you'd probably find it easier to search for than an ideal cut round at that size.

This is exactly what I was thinking... :))

I know you said at least 5 ct, but ovals will face up much larger than emeralds or cushions... Check out this oval -- it's HUGE at 11.17 x 8.02 mm!! :))

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/3.01-carat-f-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-258586

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamond14|1383000748|3546379 said:

There are not a lot of stones within my criteria just out there and floating around, according to the jeweler. Another family member used the same guy on a 10ct. stone and was completely happy buying off of just specs. It is going to be hard to get 5 or 10 stones in at the same time. Most of the direct sources don't want to send on approval.

Of course your jeweler would say this... he stands to make a ton of money if you buy it from him! :rolleyes: :lol:

diamond14

Rough_Rock
JulieN|1383001458|3546393 said:
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/emerald-cut-diamond-536-dvvs1-gia-extraordinary-stone-r4473

Yes, there aren't many 5-6 ct diamonds floating around, so try not to get too hung up on things like faint fluorescence.

Nice stone. I would want it to be a little more rectangular and less square though....but that's in the ball park

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamond14|1383000748|3546379 said:

I have to say he's right to a degree. The larger you want the harder they are to find. However I would never but an oval or an step cut without a picture. If I was spending $100 or $100k

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Tekate|1383000687|3546378 said:
Teobdl: hello I read an article that said that first Ms Kardashian paid for the stone and while retail maybe have been 2million it cost them only about 600K..

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/kris-humphries-scores-749k-kardashian-engagement-ring-auction-article-1.1486377

I read it somewhere else besides the Daily News but can't find it now.. that is where I read SHE bought it first not him... 600K - still nice.

Random comment in the middle of thread lol

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
heididdl|1383007515|3546462 said:
Tekate|1383000687|3546378 said:
Teobdl: hello I read an article that said that first Ms Kardashian paid for the stone and while retail maybe have been 2million it cost them only about 600K..

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/kris-humphries-scores-749k-kardashian-engagement-ring-auction-article-1.1486377

I read it somewhere else besides the Daily News but can't find it now.. that is where I read SHE bought it first not him... 600K - still nice.

Random comment in the middle of thread lol

I think it might be a comment about how diamonds aren't good investments. Right?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But of the two BN stones you posted, I would choose the G VS1. Faint fluorescence is simply not an issue.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:) poor Kris Humphries :naughty:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel: it was a bit of the fact that diamonds aren't good investments and according to Kris Humphries lawyer he did not lose money on the ring when it was sold at auction... as to the orginal poster.. I wish I had his problem. Some beautiful stones posters have brought to his attention... I like the DBL square emerald.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
If you're after a big honker by all means get a huge colorless but if you're leaning towards an investment diamond I'd be looking for a smaller rarer diamond that will hold its value better. Big honkers with decent specs won't hold their value as well as something rarer like a D IF Type IIa diamond or a colored diamond. If i had $250k I'd get a colored diamond personally

Argyle pink could be a good investment as the production of pink diamonds declines

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have suggestions... The DBL EC was pretty fabulous! I do have a request... Please come back and post pictures after your purchase! :Up_to_something: :naughty: =)

diamond14

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone who posted so far. I am still looking to hear more, especially about how much below Blue Nile's prices I can expect to negotiate.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results