shape
carat
color
clarity

22k Gold?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Beeweaver

Shiny_Rock
Hi All,

I have noticed that some of you are having rings made out of 22K gold. I was under the impression that the higher the gold count, the softer the ring. Is that true? How does 22K gold wear as opposed to 14K gold or even 10K gold?

darling

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/7/2007 1:51:05 PM
Author:Beeweaver
Hi All,

I have noticed that some of you are having rings made out of 22K gold. I was under the impression that the higher the gold count, the softer the ring. Is that true? How does 22K gold wear as opposed to 14K gold or even 10K gold?
Yes, the jewelry is softer and more likely to bend. I have not had any problems with chunkier designs, but wires on my earrings are a problem, they are too thin and don''t close properly. I will have to have them redesigned. The shank of many rings I have seen do not remain round for long, but as long as the ring itself is stable I don''t have a problem with it.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I don't know cause I haven't received mine yet but it is actually 22k and 18k for support.

C Smith

Shiny_Rock
I have 24 karat gold ring and it is quite soft.It only comes out for special occasions.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I have a fair amount of 24k jewellery--and depending on the thickenss of the piece determines how much it bends, with use. For example, the shank of my tourmaline ring is not very thick and hence it bends as does the clasp in some other jewellery, and with bracelets.. BUt my DH''s 24k band, is very thick (several mm''s) and it is as square as the day I had it made; albeit not as shiney.

My new plan to have some 24k bracelets made (several to wear at once) but plan to have them made with sufficient weight/thickness to help resist bending.

cheers--Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results