shape
carat
color
clarity

$22,000 diamond ????????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Daisyheart

Shiny_Rock
My hubby and I have bought a diamond (in MI) and I'm having it shipped to my home in TN. I've only seen the stone loose for a little while and they should be shipping it any day now. I'm sooooooooo nervous.

After looking around at prices, I'm second guessing the stone.
What do y'all think (looking for anyone's opinion).

The price we were quoted was $7400 per carat.

Here are the specs.
GIA Cert.

Shape: Pear Brilliant
Measurements: 12/77 x 8.13 x 5.02 mm
Weight 3.10 carats

Depth 61.7%
Table 61%
Girdle Slightly thick to extremely thick, faceted
Culet: Small
Polish Very Good
Symmetry Good

Color Grade SI2
Color Grade E
Flourescence: None

Daisyheart

Shiny_Rock
(Whew...it wouldn't fit my entire posts)

This is not my engagement ring, I am keeping that, this is another ring.
I looked at the stone loose and it was beautiful, but when I turned it in a certain direction I saw the flaw (I have bionic eyes when it comes to this stuff). There are not too many flaws in the stone, but there is a good size crystal right in the center and and a small feather fleck a little lower than that, the other specs of flaws are around the side but are not noticiable like I saw the center one.

Now the girdle issue is worrying me too. I read somewhere that sometimes pears, marquis and hearts and extremely thick girdles. Should I worry about this.

We've been using this jewler for a while and they have a great reputation for selling wholesale. I've bought the ring, I should be getting in a few days. I have 30 days to return it, or I can keep if for a while and if the flaw drives me crazy I can always upgrade it for another stone.

Here are my questions:
Do you think this stone is way over prices for the flaws it has?
How are the cut proportions of this stone?
Does the girdle range (ex. thick) cause a need for concern?
SI2 with flaws in the center, is that a bad place to be?

Sorry this was so long, I've been wracking my brain what to do. The stone was just absoultely beautiful loose even with the diamond lights off (they usually only turn them on at a customers request). But for $7400 a carat....I'm a bit nervous... my husband says I'm killing myself with the report details. I usually tell the jewler...show me the reports FIRST....then the diamond. He said if I think it's pretty, then that's all that matters.

I loved the stone, really I did...it's just my engagement ring is an E VS2 and I'm really use to a good clarity factor. I think the report is bogging down my brain.

If y'all have some time, could you help me out with some of my questions

Trishy in Tn

Caratz

Shiny_Rock
Cut: According to the AGA Cut Chart for Marquise, the depth and table fall within the parameters for a Class 1B Premium Cut, but the extremely thick girdle disqualifies it from Class 1B (See the tutorials on this site for more about the AGA Charts)

Girdle: I don't think an extremely thick girdle is something to worry about -- I think it just means that you are paying for extra carat weight that you cannot see.

Price: Have you checked the prices on pricescope of 3 ct SI-2 E color Marquise stones? There are 6 stones between 3 and 3.2 cts -- prices range from $5732/ct to $7924/ct, so the price you are paid falls within the range you would have paid if you bought online.

I'm sure yours is a beautiful stone.

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Trishy, may you post some pics of this diamond with your digital camera?:cheeky:

Daisyheart

Shiny_Rock
Hi...
I got my ring today, and it is just brilliant and colorful and the flaw, noone has been able to see it but me (none of my family members can even find it when I point it out to them and they would be honest.) It's a little bitty crystal that's off to the side a little but when looking at the stone...the flaw (when I see it) looks like I'm seeing the point of the culet (one clear dot). Nothing black in the stone at all. The cut must be fab because the ring has incredible sparkle. Now that I have the ring and see it's beauty....I don't care about report so much.

My son in law has my digital camera, but I should have it back this weekend. I'll take some pictures of it. The setting has 4 baguetts F color VS2 and it's in platnium. The entire ring (setting and all) came out to be 23,800.00 Their appraisal was for $32,000.00 (why is the appraisal so inflated???).

Thanks for the responses.

I'll have pictures soon.

:cheeky: :love:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results