shape
carat
color
clarity

20k to spend on a ring

neuman101

Rough_Rock
Im looking to spend roughly 20k on a ring. I believe my girlfriend wants an asscher or emerald cut. What kind of diamond can I expect to afford? Is something bw 1.4 and 2 carats possible? Also, are there any recommendations on how to go about this process. There is a local jeweler in my town, who my family has supported over the years and seems very reputable. What do people say about this versus something like Blue Nile, or getting a diamond from blue nile and then bringing it to a jeweler? I live in new york city, so there is the diamond district too, but i would feel totally lost waking into a random store in the diamond district and also like i would be taken advtantage of. Thanks for any and all help everyone.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've bought two asscher from Good Old Gold online.
Diamonds that are well cut look better and finding a well-cut asscher, even understanding what to look for, is not easy.
GOG has a reputation for sourcing well-cut asschers.
I'd contact them.

Also check out their Octavia Asscher.
We bought one and LOVE it.

www.goodoldgold.com

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just noticed you wrote that you live in NYC.
Good Old gold is not far from you so I'd visit and ask them to show you some well cut asschers.
Even if you don't buy from them it would be a great education; you are lucky to live so close.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...contact GOG (like eveyone said). Blue Nile wont work because you can not buy asschers/emeralds without pictures
as well as other images to determine light return. GOG can provide all the info you will need (as well as do videos).

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will jump in and add yet another GOG. Man what I would not give to be in NYC area to go there all the time and be annoying and try stuff on all the time.

neuman101

Rough_Rock
so for emerald and asscher cuts, you need to actually see the diamond, bc the light properties are different than other cuts? can someone elaborate on this?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
GOG :)

neuman101

Rough_Rock
why the obsession with GOG? is everyone from massapequa or something? anyone have any places in the city they would recommend?

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
I have nothing to add here, but I would also suggest GOG. They are very informative, and detailed.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The reason everyone recommends GOG is because it's amazing and the staff is top notch as well as their diamonds, videos, certifications and everything else that goes along with it.

Here is just one of his many asscher informational videos that you should check out

http://www.youtube.com/user/DiamondInfoMan#p/search/5/JS2PEf7GJkI

Another video but this one also has their octavia which is cut for light performance
http://www.youtube.com/user/DiamondInfoMan#p/search/0/MjnE2fz-p8E

2 octavia diamonds listed currently
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamondResults.php?shape=8448&optSym=128&resultsColumns=268435535

Their list of asschers currently
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamondResults.php?shape=8192&resultsColumns=268435471

They have a lifetime upgrade policy with no min. upgrade (most places require 2x the first diamond amount) and they also have a 70% buy back policy (heaven forbid you ever need to sell your diamond back but things do happen)

Here is the testimonial section where you can see many GOG happy customers.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/forums/pricescope-testimonials.57/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/forums/pricescope-testimonials.57/[/URL]

A quick google PS search pulls up all their info as well
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/search/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/search/[/URL]

The reason everyone recommends them is because if we were looking for what you are, that is where we would go and have sent other people in your position to the same place. Simple as that.

Good luck.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
neuman101|1315603618|3013907 said:
why the obsession with GOG? is everyone from massapequa or something? anyone have any places in the city they would recommend?

Hehe =) yes it does come off a little like obsession doesnt it?!

I can try to explain (though take it with a grain of salt, i purchased an EC from GOG six months ago ;)) )....re the cut of emeralds and asschers, its true you cant pick these stones off of numbers alone. With rounds etc (and im by no means an expert, this is just my understanding), there are very clearly defined parameters that determine cut grade, and the larger diamond certification bodies (GIA etc) will actually grade the cut of a round stone EX, VG, etc because the parameters/measurements are clear as to what makes a well cut round diamond.

With step cuts this is not the case, the major labs do not grade their cut (if you see a cert with a grade on it this is suspicious!). I guess because there is so much variation in step cuts in terms of facet style, length:width ratio (these are all down to personal preference) and there are significantly fewer stepcuts on the market (because they're not as popular - conversely that means their cheaper but ill get to that later) experts havent yet developed a set of parameters/measurements that accurately determine cut grade of step cuts.

There are a few basic parameters that you would look for in an EC (i dont know much about asschers so cant elaborate there), for example certain depth and table %s, and table % less than depth - but these would just guide you to the stones to bring it to look at. Because they could still be terrible, or they could be nice - or a stone with stats outside these could end up being lovely anyways!

its a challenge finding a step cut because there are fewer on the market and few online vendors provide the kind of information that you need to purchase the stone sight unseen. (its worth it though, they're beautiful!)

GOG is one of those vendors. They will provide images, ASETS (which show you the light return, these are quite good for step cuts as they can have lots of dark, long/wide facets in them), sarin and best of all VIDEO!! although as everyone says, you happen to live close to them so you could actually see the stones in person, i would love to be able to have done that! And people are recommending them because they have a history of sourcing great step-cuts and going the extra mile for customers with the video (i bought from Canada, without it i would have had no idea if the stone i purchased would even sparkle, and as you've probably found in your research, ECs can look 'dead').

I cant recommend any vendors in NYC im afraid but for online, your other options would be ERD (very professional, found a great stone for me i just went with a stone in GOGs vid in the end), maybe whiteflash and james allen. They will all provide images and ASET, though not video. Again though if you want to see the stones in person GOG is a good bet, or im sure you could find another jeweller to bring stones in for you.

And re your budget, that will be plenty to get a stone in the 1.4 to 2ct range. I bought a 1.78 D VS2 in Jan for just under 14k. Prices have gone up but you'll still be right im sure =)

good luck, cant wait to see what you get, i love stepcuts :love:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
neuman101|1315603618|3013907 said:
I am from STL and I flew there! It was SO worth it. They are amazing to work with, and test the hell out of every stone.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Get a sense for your fiance's preferences in terms of color, clarity, etc. You know shape and size, but there are other parameters you'll need to decide.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since you are in NY I would visit Engagement Rings Direct and Timelessluxury.net they are both great vendors who many PSers have worked with successfully.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

neuman101

Rough_Rock
so Timeless Luxury looks like they are all ready made rings correct? I dont think my girlfriend has strong preferences as to color or clarity. From my research it seems like H color or better is fine. I have also ready that its easier to see inclusions in asscher and emerald cut diamonds and for that reason, it may be best to get VS2 or better, or even VS1 or better. What do people think about this?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
neuman101|1315670992|3014421 said:
so Timeless Luxury looks like they are all ready made rings correct? I dont think my girlfriend has strong preferences as to color or clarity. From my research it seems like H color or better is fine. I have also ready that its easier to see inclusions in asscher and emerald cut diamonds and for that reason, it may be best to get VS2 or better, or even VS1 or better. What do people think about this?

no, Steven Kirsch makes custom rings. I think his website is just a sample of the styles of rings he has made in the past. I am not sure if anyone has used him to source an asscher although I am sure he could do so...just not with the level of information and optical analysis that someone like GOG could provide.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Vs2 or better.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you're right in NYC, I'd make some appointments to visit some Pricescope vendors during lunch or after work on a weekday. Not every vendor is available Saturday because of Shabbat.

These vendors are all around 47th and 5th ave. If you're going up 5th ave, and make a left onto 47th, you will be in the vicinity of ID Jewelry, Leon Mege, and Steven Kirsch of Timeless Luxury.

Leon Mege, Inc.
2 West 47th Street #1408
New York, NY 10036

Timeless Luxury
2 W 47th St # 1002
New York, NY 10036-3333

I.D. Jewelry, LLC
8 West 47th Street
New York, NY 10036

Instead of making the left on 47th, and you continue on 5th ave, ERD is right there.

Engagement Rings Direct
580 5th Ave Suite 3000
New York, NY 10036

Here's the link to the Priscope vendors
https://www.pricescope.com/featured-sponsors/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results