shape
carat
color
clarity

~$20k budget for H&A RB

Drew

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I am researching and looking for the following and just wanted some help finding the best diamond that meets this criteria:

1.5 carats or larger preferably 1.7-1.9+ round brilliant
H color or better (SO and I went to look and we weren't very color sensitive even when directly next to each other)
VS2 or better
Ideal cut, preferably H&A
No fluorescence

I've been doing a lot of research and it seems BGD is more expensive than whiteflash so was leaning towards whiteflash ACA.

Thanks!

Drew

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1454214302|3984460 said:
Hi! I like the specs and diamonds you are interested in!

There are two at 1.8 but someone on here is considering the other one, so I am posting this one for you. It looks perfect for your budget and specs!

There are only two that size in H VS2, so you might want to put this on hold if you are interested.

Thanks for replying diamond seeker!

It's hard to pick!

At the same time it would be more 'mind clean' to go with the 1.762 F color, which sizes up about the same as the 1.818. But the F color is 23k, and at that point I may as well just spend 1k more and go with the 2.017 ct H for 24k... decisions decisions!

The diamond doesn't specifically have to be from whiteflash but it's just where I've been looking the most...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly wouldn't go to F color. I'd rather have a larger G or H. I'll look and see if I see anything else.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, all the ones listed from other vendors were higher, and BG doesn't have any from 1.8-1.99 in G-H VS2.

Drew

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for replying!

What in particular makes you say that one highperformancediamond is gorgeous? Or how are you able to tell without really even seeing it? Is it because of the HCA score? Also, I'm unfamiliar with HPD so how can you yell they're super ideal or are they just ideal?

I sent James allen an email asking them about those and which are eye clean...I talked with a live chat agent but she just told me they would be eye clean based on looking at them online and seeing the same thing we see...

Thanks so much for the information on choosing a h&a vs an excellent or ideal.

I've been imagining the day that I was able to ask periscope as a whole for help but specifically seen the replies that diamond seeker and gypsy have given and am so grateful for your help!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
HPD sells Infinity Diamonds. They are a boutique Hearts and Arrows cutter. They actually cut all their own stones (unlike others who buy from cutters) and do everything from A-Z.

They are pretty much the top Hearts and Arrows dealer in terms of quality. So, if you are going to hearts and arrows, given the fact that there are several gorgeous stones of theirs in your size/budget range right now, that's what I'd be looking it.

Otherwise, I'd go with a great GIA excellent with great numbers and light return confirmed with an idealscope and hit the 2 carat mark.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Drew|1454228735|3984542 said:
Ok thank you,

How does this one: http://highperformancediamonds.com/shop/diamonds/HPD7021/?shop=yes

compare to the other James allen diamonds you recommended?

It's perfect. Seriously. That is a perfect stone. And that is confirmed by the ASET and the IS. And it has the perfect hearts and arrows patterning of a true H&A. I'd say it kicks butt and takes names.

If you have the budget for this one, this is THE stone I would advise you to buy. It has it all.

Says it is on hold. Hope that's you. If not, give Wink a call. See what else he's got similar to it, he'd recommend.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Its not on hold now did u change your mind intrigues to know what you found that was better

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll be happy to give other suggestions if you want to go to $24k! However, at $20k, I personally would still choose the 1.8 from Whiteflash as it is also top of the top as far as cut goes. I would rather have VS2 for clarity in a ring stone.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3508616.htm

If you want to go to $24k, then you can go to 2 cts. in an H VS2:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3602749.htm

I like CBI just fine and agree that they are also a top cut, but I wouldn't consider paying more for one of those than an ACA. I have owned several ACAs and wouldn't be buying them if I didn't think they were equal to "the best".

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The one from HPD has SI1 clarity and is only a minute amount larger than the 1.8 H VS2 from WF which costs less. I'd take the cleaner stone any day. If you want to go to $24k, the 2 ct WF H VS2 still wins in terms of price to get VS2 clarity. If they were exactly the same price and specs, then flip a coin. But when you can get higher clarity for a similar price point, I am not seeing any reason not to go for the better value and higher clarity. I can show you other options that are also more expensive than the ACA.

https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/n15rt1-2.070-h-si1-ideal-hearts-arrows-round

I love that vendor, too. Great stones. But you are also looking at SI1 clarity instead of VS2.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1454229448|3984544 said:
Drew|1454228735|3984542 said:
Ok thank you,

How does this one: http://highperformancediamonds.com/shop/diamonds/HPD7021/?shop=yes

compare to the other James allen diamonds you recommended?

It's perfect. Seriously. That is a perfect stone. And that is confirmed by the ASET and the IS. And it has the perfect hearts and arrows patterning of a true H&A. I'd say it kicks butt and takes names.

If you have the budget for this one, this is THE stone I would advise you to buy. It has it all.

Says it is on hold. Hope that's you. If not, give Wink a call. See what else he's got similar to it, he'd recommend.

This diamond gets my vote too. Love the numbers.

Although more than a year later, my Cut To Order CBI diamond still surprises me with its dazzling performance when I least expect it.

The WF diamond has a 62% depth percentage. Although fine for 99% of other PSers, that would have been a deal breaker for me. Also like the CBI table percentage better, imo.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah. I love that CBI,

Drew

Rough_Rock
The 2.08 from CBI is eye clean so while I do see the advantage of the VS2 from WF being a better value, to the eye they will both be eye clean.

Is there a specific reason you guys like the CBI diamond so much? I know you said the numbers and gypsy even going so far as to say that the diamond is basically perfect, but I was just wondering what specifically about those numbers work best... to provide the best scintillation and fire?

According to the HCA the CBI diamond scores 1.4 with Excellent Light Return, Excellent Fire, Very Good Scintillation and Very Good spread.

whereas the WF diamond scores 1.5 with all being excellent except very good spread

I know that the beauty of the diamonds in this particular case may not be something that can just come down to statistical values like the HCA score, and am hoping that's something you guys can help clarify. :angel:

It's a large purchase so I want to make the best decision.

Thank you!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Drew, all the stones we have posted are in about the top 1% of diamonds. Some people have bought from certain vendors or brands and prefer them. cflutist has a gorgeous CBI stone and I have had several WF ACA's, so we each have a bias to some degree for what we have. What I will say, though, is that I recommend stones from other vendors ALL THE TIME to fit people's budgets. Some people do not care for top cut. But when someone is looking for top cut, the tops cuts are carried by WhiteFlash, Good Old Gold, High Performance Diamonds, Victor Canera, and Brian Gavin. Between those, you generally just find the specs you want and go with the lowest price. I can easily see those inclusions in the SI1 stone and would not buy it myself if WF was selling it. I would want VS2 for an engagement ring (or higher for myself). The WF prices are better and you still end up with a stone in the top 1%. There is no evidence that WF is better cut than CBI or that CBI is better cut than WF. So don't get that in your head because no one here can prove that. I would buy from any of the vendors above if they had exactly what I wanted and the price was competitive. (Actually I have also bought things from Good Old Gold and Victor Canera and had a stone recut by BG.)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
HCA is pass fail and a rough tool. With these super ideal cuts it is irrelevant, they are all fantastic. We all have personal preferences. DS has one for VS stones, so she feels that is important consideration. I don't like paying for any clarity I can't see so eyeclean SI if great for me.

I have not bought a CBI or WF ACA. I have bought BGD signature, but they don't have anything for you.

There is no bad decision. You get a stunning top cut stone either way. I promise.

Pick the one you like best. You win either way

Drew

Rough_Rock
Thank you guys for being so reassuring!

I am 95% sure I am going to go with the 2.017 from WF: http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3602749.htm and
I PUT IT ON HOLD!

I want VS2 for the sake of being mind clean, and the extra cost amortization over 50 years I think it will be worth it to have the bigger stone. The other 5% may go with the 1.818 but I'm mostly decided on the 2.017! :dance:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Drew|1454369527|3985343 said:
Thank you guys for being so reassuring!

I am 95% sure I am going to go with the 2.017 from WF: http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3602749.htm and
I PUT IT ON HOLD!

I want VS2 for the sake of being mind clean, and the extra cost amortization over 50 years I think it will be worth it to have the bigger stone. The other 5% may go with the 1.818 but I'm mostly decided on the 2.017! :dance:

Great! How are you going to set it!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like your thinking! Start with a 2 ct and that would be a forever, wonderful size for most people!

Yes, what kind of setting are you thinking about? Actually, I should ask, do you know what kinds of settings she likes? It's best to get the diamond set by the diamond vendor, if possible.

Drew

Rough_Rock
She wants a solitaire, similar to tiffanies, but I think the Petite Torchiere is even better, so I'm pretty sure I am going with that. :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I think the Petite Torchiere is nice, but if she really likes the look of the real Tiffany solitaire, I would go with the Vatche U-113 which is a nice quality Tiffany reproduction and WhiteFlash sells that. They also have a nice Tiffany repro in their own stock. It's just a little complicated buying the diamond and then sending it somewhere else to set, but it is possible. However, if she just meant she likes a plain 6 prong solitaire, then that is a different story. Someone who likes the true Tiffany setting probably wants a close reproduction of that. I actually have the Vatche U-113. WF has many other good settings, as well.

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/6-prong-solitaire-engagement-ring-by-vatche-1778.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/classic-tiffany-style-knife-edge-solitaire-engagement-ring-734.htm

If you go with the Petite Torchiere, the one thing I do not like about some of the rings is that the tips of the prongs are too big. In a nice way I would request that the tips of the prongs be delicate. I would also plan for MM to make a matching wedding band, also, but that can be closer to the time of the wedding.

If you do have the diamond set elsewhere, you're going to need to get Jeweler's Mutual insurance and give them the stone and setting information, because that is the only way we know of to insure a stone before it is set.

Drew

Rough_Rock
Thanks diamond seeker!

Yes she just means 6 prong setting, it doesn't have to be an exact replica.

She likes it when theres attention to detail and I think the prongs and how they curve up to hold the diamond is very pretty and elegant.

I agree that the prongs themselves need to be made smaller so I think that is something that I will mention. That's good information about the insurance.

I figured it was possible to ship from WF to Mark, and then when Mark is finished would ship back to WF and then WF to me...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Drew|1454387534|3985483 said:
Thanks diamond seeker!

Yes she just means 6 prong setting, it doesn't have to be an exact replica.

She likes it when theres attention to detail and I think the prongs and how they curve up to hold the diamond is very pretty and elegant.

I agree that the prongs themselves need to be made smaller so I think that is something that I will mention. That's good information about the insurance.

I figured it was possible to ship from WF to Mark, and then when Mark is finished would ship back to WF and then WF to me...

Okay, that's good, I am sure she'll love this setting especially if the tips of the prongs are made smaller!

I am not sure that WF will send the diamond directly to him, but you can ask. Some vendors will not send a stone to be set to a vendor whose settings they do not actually sell. Good Old Gold is the only vendor I know of that actually sells MM settings and they would send the diamond to him to set. You'd still have to get the insurance even if WF sends it, because a setting vendor is not usually going to cover a customer diamond in the rare event of damage or even loss. If WF sets it, then they would cover it through setting and then you'd get the insurance once it was completed and sent to you.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mark Morrel's work is incredible. I think that setting is hitting it out of the ballpark!

Great choice. Please get the one with diamonds in head!

Drew

Rough_Rock
Thank you!

I can't decide if I should go for diamonds in the head or not! Such a hard decision... the 'plain' one has such a liquid platinum feel to it, but the one with diamonds is pretty gorgeous and something extra special that really only the wearer can see.

We are a younger couple, do you think the one without diamonds is more modern / timeless?

My friends / family are split 60/40 towards no diamond... I can't decide!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely diamonds in the head. I think that makes the setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results