shape
carat
color
clarity

2019 trend prediction

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We saw the three stone early 2000, princess 1990’s , cushions 2015-17, ovals this year, halos about the last 5 years....

What do you predict for 2019?

More yellow gold, more marquise?

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
I think there will be two trends:
Keeping it classic with well executed solitaires, and a growing number of those in buttery yellow gold.
Big, vintage inspired designs. Heidi Gibson’s ballerina-esque settings have been popping up everywhere.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Keeping it classic with well executed solitaires, and a growing number of those in buttery yellow gold.
Big, vintage inspired designs. Heidi Gibson’s ballerina-esque settings have been popping up everywhere.

Interesting thread! I agree about the yellow gold. I've been seeing an increasing number of rings in high-carat yellow gold recently from engaged friends on FB and IG. Guess the 1980s are coming back around. :)

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Stacking will continue with mixing metals, definitely more rose gold, solitaires with a lower basket halo of diamonds, and traditional halos will continue as they always help finger coverage! Dainty settings too with thin pave bands. As far as shape... ovals and ECs will become even more popular:wavey:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stacking will continue with mixing metals, definitely more rose gold, solitaires with a lower basket halo of diamonds, and traditional halos will continue as they always help finger coverage! Dainty settings too with thin pave bands. As far as shape... ovals and ECs will become even more popular:wavey:

+1!!
Step cuts are making a come back!! Ovals are becoming a more popular alternative to rounds...
ETA: I believe a lot of mixed metals will pop up!
I see a trend of high K (18+K) yellow, brushed gold rings & bands coming into fashion.
Platinum & WG will remain popular. Rose gold is a mixed bag, but I think it will rise in popularity. Petite stacks, and vintage styles should remain constant.
The classic soli never goes out of style.

I am seeing more & more marquise on IG. Could this be a sneak peek into the coming trends of 2019?

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm thinking more elaborate designs, odd lines, and less traditional. Designs that are a little more out there that may not appeal to everyone.

Q

Queenie60

More yellow gold and mixed metals

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just looked up Heidi Gibson. Those are super ornate. If these are popular now hey definitely seem like a trendy style. I think these looks won’t hang around for too many years. Maybe just a year or two. That’s my prediction. Yellow gold still a thing? Hopefully not clunky yellow gold settings.

holeydonut

Shiny_Rock
I think the pear (tear drop) is going to be popular. Late 2017/2018 saw a bunch of celebs get pears, way more than 2015-17.

Blake Lively, Hailey Baldwin, Kaley Cuoco, Ariana Grande, Margot Robbie, Sophie Turner, Cardi B, Emily Ratajkowski, Victoria Beckham (her 14th engagement ring??), and Paris Hilton (although they broke it off, she's keeping the 20 ct pear since it's "a gift").

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I wish three or five stone settings revive...Step cut or antique cut with large facets are now my favorite!

rockhoundofficiando

Shiny_Rock
More lab diamonds. More 70s inspired ornate Heidi Gibson-esque settings. A continuation of budget, large diamond simulant centers (moissanite) in diamond settings. More gold colored gold metals. More marquise shaped diamonds.

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
I think more vintage/antique cuts or modern recreations of them so rose cuts, antique cushion cuts etc. Also some fancy cuts too as have been mentioned above. I think setting will be more elaborate, twisting, asymmetrical, carved etc. Maybe yellow gold and even rose gold rising in popularity.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yellow gold
Emeralds
Rings with black or royal blue enamel
Ring wraps (made of diamond baguettes)
Black diamonds
Salt-and-pepper/gray diamonds
Rose cuts
Opals
Moonstones
Victorian
Georgian

Georgian? Example?

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great thread!

I see continued art deco style, OECs and more marquise's also. I wil go out on a limb and say more cluster rings to!

We saw the three stone early 2000, princess 1990’s , cushions 2015-17, ovals this year, halos about the last 5 years....

What do you predict for 2019?

More yellow gold, more marquise?

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with the marquise and pear shaped diamond trends -- they're all over Instagram!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nugget rings and herringbone chains................just kidding! :lol-2::P2
OkY_FXRyWXyNMPHdF374xF5AVIg-LgyjCqa1435JtE4__34229_zoom.jpg

th

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then what will NOT be instyle?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then what will NOT be instyle?
Haha, if you are older like me, you probably still have a nugget ring and a few herringbones in your collection! They were "must haves" back then. They are fun in an 80's kinda way! :lol:

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
More yellow and rose gold, although white will reign supreme. We're not going back to the 80s though, no 6mm thick bands.

I don't think marquise are going to get popular, but I think we've finally turned the corner where people stop actively hating them. I think with the antique market, so much of the OEC and OMC stock has been snatched up, expect a revival of the antique moval/marquise and pear.

Continued slide in popularity for princess cuts.

Continued lessening market share for solitaire engagement rings, mostly for financial reasons. More ornate settings, cluster rings, ect.

I feel like lab diamonds today are where moissanite was when I got engaged in 2003. I think lab diamonds are going to overtake moissanite, but it'll take more than 2019.

Morganite's heyday has come and gone.

I think we'll be in a recession in 2020. I think engagement rings are going to start getting smaller. I actually think this is a long range trend. Solitaires over 1 carat are going to look old fashioned and dated in 10 years. No one is going to agree with me on this. LOL.

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
More yellow and rose gold, although white will reign supreme. We're not going back to the 80s though, no 6mm thick bands.

I don't think marquise are going to get popular, but I think we've finally turned the corner where people stop actively hating them. I think with the antique market, so much of the OEC and OMC stock has been snatched up, expect a revival of the antique moval/marquise and pear.

Continued slide in popularity for princess cuts.

Continued lessening market share for solitaire engagement rings, mostly for financial reasons. More ornate settings, cluster rings, ect.

I feel like lab diamonds today are where moissanite was when I got engaged in 2003. I think lab diamonds are going to overtake moissanite, but it'll take more than 2019.

Morganite's heyday has come and gone.

I think we'll be in a recession in 2020. I think engagement rings are going to start getting smaller. I actually think this is a long range trend. Solitaires over 1 carat are going to look old fashioned and dated in 10 years. No one is going to agree with me on this. LOL.

So I already shopped myself an engagement ring on a great deal. I sold some stock and bought the ring -- all it assets relocation! I think the stock is still going to have some tough time ahead. Now, my potential engagement will be recession proof! LOL:lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yellow gold. I don't think the lab created diamonds will make the big impact as anticipated. I think smaller diamonds will be the norm in the North America and in Europe while the bigger diamonds will continue to head east. I predict that overall retail jewelry sales will be flat and more big box and independent bricks and mortar stores will close as internet sales will gain.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results