shape
carat
color
clarity

2019 trend prediction

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by AprilBaby, Dec 31, 2018.

1. msop04
    Ideal_Rock

by msop04 » Jan 2, 2019
    Smaller center stones, lots of stacking with thin bands, highly curved/nesting bands, high karat YG, "salt-n-pepper" (i.e. rough/natural) diamonds.

Matthews1127 and Golden_bird like this.
  2. peacechick
    Brilliant_Rock

by peacechick » Jan 2, 2019
    Ovals and pears will continue their surge in popularity
    Halos are going nowhere
    People will test limits on how dainty a band can get
    Ring guards are back in fashion but in delicate floral or geometric formations
    Diamond stackers are the new cluster ring

Matthews1127 and Tekate like this.
  3. rubysweettart
    Shiny_Rock

by rubysweettart » Jan 2, 2019
    Ballerina and intricate settings - Grandma's cocktail ring is back in fashion!
    Alternative stone engagement rings like sapphire and emerald
    Rustic diamonds cut in unique shapes

I'm kind of excited about yellow gold making a comeback but I hope all the good antique cuts aren't all gone, I need to find my OEC!

And yes, we're definitely going into a recession so I wonder if companies like Lightbox will become super popular affordable options.

4. Indylady
    Ideal_Rock

by Indylady » Jan 2, 2019
    Yep! Very agreed. Millennials are just not really into diamonds. Understated and unique is what is chic. I'm a millenial and most of my engaged friends are sporting very non-traditional rings. Even the most traditional ones (I'm thinking of two of my closest friends) have sapphire halo's. The chic and trendy ones have anything under the sun--a .10 on a twig style band, a two stone non-bypass (one bigger maybe 1/2 carat diamond on the band with a tiny diamond resting almost halo-style on top of the bigger one), pink sapphires in fairytale like complicated settings, a plain gold band, and on and on. They can all afford big diamonds, but they just don't care at all.

Matthews1127 likes this.
  5. msop04
    Ideal_Rock

by msop04 » Jan 2, 2019
    Solitaires over 1 carat are going to look old fashioned and dated in 10 years. No one is going to agree with me on this.

This is one of the few times I wouldn't be upset to look "dated"... ;-)

6. vintageloves
    Shiny_Rock

by vintageloves » Jan 2, 2019
    I'm in the market for a 2 carat center stone in spite of my predictions, so I'm embracing it, too. I plan to be pushing 50 in a decade, and darned if I'm going to let a bunch of wipper snappers tell me what to wear! And get off my lawn!

I think when anyone can buy a large lab diamond, the emphasis is going to be less and less on size. In fact, having a smaller diamond might be a way to virtue signal that it's "the real deal."

Matthews1127, RosieR, Dandi and 5 others like this.
  7. LisaRN
    Ideal_Rock

by LisaRN » Jan 2, 2019
    Due to designers able to show their wares on Instagram, Etsy and other venues and celebrities showing their bling on social media I think 2019 will be another eclectic year. We have smashed many preconceived notions on what constitutes a typical engagement ring diamond, and I predict diamond wearers will continue to seek out warmer diamonds, old cuts, fancy shapes and super ideal cut diamonds. How they set them will be anyone's guess with the focus being on custom rings and the experience of having their ring created.

With the cost of natural colored gemstones increasing I predict less colored gemstones used as engagement rings but still popular with collectors and cs enthusiasts. Enthusiasts will choose higher carat gold and platinum settings for their more expensive acquisitions and reputable lab reports will be a must.

Matthews1127 likes this.
  8. blueMA
    Brilliant_Rock

by blueMA » Jan 2, 2019
    I agree. I believe a shift for other natural mined gems inevitable.
    I'll always love diamond sparkles, but I feel foolish to even think about spending so much money on a stone anymore, especially while I already have good sized diamonds.
    I went to a jewelry store to get rid of my old gold pieces, and I was shocked by the amount of cash I ended up with - sure I spent a lot more procuring them, but they were simply collecting dust in my jewelry box, many from the 80's. I spent some of that money on my new custom job.

I've been going nuts on opals lately and can't wait for the finished custom pieces soon.

Matthews1127 likes this.
  9. kmoro
    Brilliant_Rock

by kmoro » Jan 3, 2019
    The problem is that other gem types break and scratch more easily ... an opal would be extremely fragile for daily wear, for example.

Matthews1127 and MissGotRocks like this.
  10. TreeScientist
    Brilliant_Rock

by TreeScientist » Jan 3, 2019
    Yes, a lot of CS are fragile (would never wear a Tourmaline daily). But there are many that are quite durable. Including the King of Gems: Corundum ;-)

11. blueMA
    Brilliant_Rock

by blueMA » Jan 3, 2019
    For an engagement ring, yes, I agree the stone will have to be tougher to bear the daily wear and a diamond is probably hard to beat, but I think people will look at other options as far as pendants, earrings, or other collectible jewelries are concerned.

@TreeScientist - Exactly. And they're actually so rare to justify the price and will continue to increase in price in the future.

Matthews1127 and TreeScientist like this.
  12. rubysweettart
    Shiny_Rock

by rubysweettart » Jan 3, 2019
    A lot of people are not educated on stones when they pick their engagement ring or they're steered by sales associates in maul stores or they just don't care, they want what they want. When I wanted an everyday ring for my 10th, I went to Jared just to see if they had any pink sapphires and the sales associate kept trying to sell me morganite even though I told her I didn't feel comfortable with morganite for everyday wear. I do think people will still buy stones that aren't going to hold up as engagement rings.

Matthews1127 likes this.
  13. WillyDiamond
    Brilliant_Rock

by WillyDiamond » Jan 3, 2019
    CZ will replace all diamonds in 10 years!
    Diamonds will sit next to rotary phones

14. blueMA
    Brilliant_Rock

by blueMA » Jan 3, 2019
    Lol no way. I could tell CZ by just looking at it. Lab diamonds will be more common substitutions though.

Matthews1127 likes this.
  15. Rad_Fan
    Brilliant_Rock

by Rad_Fan » Jan 3, 2019
    Wonder if the stock markets/economies might make a difference to the buying/spending/setting trends...

Couples will still get engaged but might allocate the ering budget differently?

Others might feel less tempted to acquire additional pieces?

16. JPie
    Brilliant_Rock

by JPie » Jan 3, 2019
    Echoing @KristyDarling & @Matilda, I predict that 2019 will be the year of antique reproductions & conversions, especially in the Georgian and Victorian styles. Collet settings will be especially popular.

In addition, delicate styles by designers like Kataoka, Sofia Zakia, Wwake, and Melanie Casey will continue to trend.

D4E36F57-6D2A-45D3-AB8D-A65B32C62DCD.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  17. ccuheartnurse
    Brilliant_Rock

by ccuheartnurse » Jan 3, 2019
    I think lab created diamonds will take off. We're seeing the upswing now with vendors getting on board & the cutters churning out ideal cut specs. If they are affordable, I predict larger diamonds are going to be purchased.

Just say NO to Nugget rings & herringbone chains. :lol-2: I'm old enough to have gone through that trend once. :lol-2:

Matthews1127 and Nitedula like this.
  18. eapj
    Shiny_Rock

by eapj » Jan 3, 2019
    Yellow and rose gold, smaller stones, colored stones. So many are into the “experiences not things” thing. I, on the other hand, work a lot and don’t take many vacations and like to look at pretty bling on my fingers while I type! :P2

19. TreeScientist
    Brilliant_Rock

by TreeScientist » Jan 4, 2019
    Exactly. CZ is easily detectable (I can spot a CZ from across the room) and not durable. If CZ was going to replace diamonds, it would've already done so by now.

But lab diamonds will certainly take a large chunk of the market, especially for non-engagement pieces. I have a hard time seeing the general population spending the extra money on mined diamonds for a "normal" jewelry piece once MMDs are cheap, prevalent, and look exactly the same.

Matthews1127, Nitedula and blueMA like this.
  20. motownmama
    Ideal_Rock

by motownmama » Jan 4, 2019
    Who knows, but things always have to change to be “new.” I remember when I joined here ppl didn’t like YG - they’d say “I’d like this if it were set in a white metal,” etc. And - my set is YG, so I sometimes felt bad. Now, of course, things have turned around.
    I’m seeing a lot of these really delicate ER’s that stack with a bunch of micro bands. Idk the names of the designers, but I’ve been seeing these in media lately.

ratatat, sledge and Matthews1127 like this.
  21. Vanilla Bling
    Shiny_Rock

by Vanilla Bling » Jan 6, 2019
    :lol:

22. rockhoundofficiando
    Shiny_Rock

23. bludiva
    Brilliant_Rock

by bludiva » Jan 6, 2019
    More baguettes and frenchies and other geometrical cuts

Matthews1127 likes this.
  24. Dancing Fire
    Super_Ideal_Rock

AdaBeta27 and Golden_bird like this.
  25. AdaBeta27
    Brilliant_Rock

Matthews1127 likes this.
  26. AdaBeta27
    Brilliant_Rock

by AdaBeta27 » Jan 6, 2019
    That's awesome. I have been storing this girly vintage setting for literally over a decade now.
    945diamondsemoimount3.jpg

Matthews1127 likes this.
  27. crystalinmke
    Shiny_Rock

by crystalinmke » Jan 6, 2019
    i'm a younger millennial/gen z'er and i see lots of people in my age range springing for moissanite over lab diamond (i know i certainly would choose a moissanite over a lab diamond). i think lab diamond will have to more drastically lower in price if its going to become the true low cost alternative. but i am seeing lots of yellow/rose gold! much more than white gold/platinum, small stones, colored stones, small geometric/floral ring guards, etc.

28. missy
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by missy » Jan 7, 2019
    Interesting thread. Personally I don't care about trends and I wear what I love. But here are some more predictions for Spring of 2019.

https://en.vogue.fr/jewelry/runway-...aga-gucci-louis-vuitton-chanel-givenchy/53138

29. Mamabean
    Ideal_Rock

by Mamabean » Jan 10, 2019
    My mom made me buy a herringbone chain for her just like that for Christmas! :lol:

stracci2000 likes this.
  30. ChickityChicken
    Rough_Rock

by ChickityChicken » Jan 10, 2019
    I'm over here regularly wearing my herringbone silver necklaces like a boss. Ilike what I like

stracci2000 and Mamabean like this.