shape
carat
color
clarity

2009 Tucson Gem Show - tips for a newbie looking for colored stones?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

buggysmama

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,
I''m new here. Have lived in Tucson for 4 yrs now and (embarrassed to admit this) have YET to go to the Tucson Gem Show! Well, now I''ve been bitten by the colored stone bug. So this February (2009), I''m going to go to the show. I''m not involved in the jewelry trade at all, so I''ll be attending as a regular member of the general public.

I''ve heard that it''s definitely buyer beware at the Tucson Gem Show. Of the reputable companies that are listed on Pricescope, do any of you know which ones are going to be at the show? I LOVE blue-colored gemstones. And I''ve seen some of those fabulous garnets & spinels at Precisiongems.com - particularly the red and orange ones - and I''m hooked!

What tips do any of you have about how to buy gems at a gem show?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I could come down and go to the show too. It sounds like a PS''ers dream. I don''t have any tips other than making sure you like what you buy. I can''t wait to see your treasures from there. Have fun.

lavenderlill

Rough_Rock
Perhaps you could pick up a show guide/catalog in advance of the shows and compare the lists. I used to work for a publication that printed a listing of exhibitors each year and it was searchable by location/alphabetical order/product etc. It would be easy to go through the pricescope list and find your favorite vendors. Also, I seem to remember from my trip to Tucson and the grapevine that some venues were considered more reliable and treaseure troves than others. Maybe some others who go to the show more regularly than myself could comment.

As a newcomer to the shows, it''s going to knock you out. Enjoy!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
The two top shows are the AGTA and GJX shows. Unfortunately, both are closed to the public. Unless you''re in the trade, you''d need a guest pass. This will also be my first time and I''ve been told repeatedly to bring cash or cheque.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, you're going this year, Harriet? Jeff will be shopping again for me this Feb.

I hear that all the good stuff are mostly sold before the show actually starts and is done "behind the scenes" among dealers.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Harriet,

You are going? My BF is saying that we should go :). I don''t know if I will be able to work it into my schedule or not. Is it worth it for non-trade members?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2008 11:04:08 PM
Author: Chrono
Ooh, you''re going this year, Harriet? Jeff will be shopping again for me this Feb.

I hear that all the good stuff are mostly sold before the show actually starts and is done ''behind the scenes'' among dealers.
Yes, I am.
I haven''t heard what you heard. But, that''s ok, because I''m going for educational purposes plus my dealers know what I like.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2008 11:18:31 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
Harriet,

You are going? My BF is saying that we should go :). I don't know if I will be able to work it into my schedule or not. Is it worth it for non-trade members?
Yes, Doc. I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question, but I wouldn't go if I couldn't get into the AGTA show.

P.S. I should qualify what I said above about trade members. From what I've been told, they still have to meet a certain threshold to get into the big show.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Harriet,

Humm... it is something I need to look into too, I don't want to go if it is like going to a concert and only seeing the opening act.

ETA: The last weekend is over Valentine's weekend???? Isn't that a time jewelers make money off all those guys who wait till the last minute?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry, I haven''t a clue, but I''d be happy to meet you!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I''ll keep you posted on what I decide to you and you do the same?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deal!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results