shape
carat
color
clarity

$2000 budget for RB, and question

matchs

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Echoing the remarks of many others who are also new to this resource, thanks for all of the great information you've contributed to this site...I've spent the past couple weeks simply digesting, and now I'm ready to move forward.

I'm early into my search for a loose stone (to be set into the perfect halo engagement setting that I'll find later) and I've got a budget (max) of $2000 for the stone. I found a non-certified .64, VG, H, Si1 priced at $1980 at my local (reputable, non-mall) jeweler, and they won't haggle at all (absolutely not, they say). I don't mind something without certification, and I've looked at enough stones locally to see how conservatively rated it is (I'd say it's an extremely good Si1, if not VS2), but unfortunately I don't have any of the other dimensions, measurements, etc. It's a really beautiful stone but fundamentally I'm curious if I need to keep looking. I really think it's pretty but then again, what do I know? Here are my requirements:

-At least H in color
-At least .64 in ct weight. Since I'll be putting it into a halo setting, the size isn't the most important. I'd rather buy something dazzling and small than big and dirty.
-Very good cut or better
-No visible inclusions to the naked eye
-Other suggestions?

I've found this, for example: http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2618033.htm by using the PS search.

I'd like to shop locally if possible, but if I can save $300 and get as nice of a stone (or spend the entire amount for something bigger and better), that will make the setting even nicer. Is the cost savings of not seeing the diamond online worth it? Any other thoughts? I'm a bit hesitant to buy a stone online, sight unseen, but perhaps you can convince me that it's not that big of a deal.

Thanks in advance for helping out. I appreciate your expertise.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Well there are a ton of great options. I would totally buy online, it's very often less expensive and better quality.

You could save almost $500 with this:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104049771020

I know that you said H color, but if size is important to you and you can up your budget by just a hair...

At a J color (there are a lot of very white gorgeous J color stones on PS):

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1352995.asp

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/7288/

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104049771015

And, If you are willing to go to K color there is this:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/K-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1362085.asp

matchs

Rough_Rock
That's what I suspected. Thanks for the links...those are helpful.

Is a J-colored diamond going to look any differently to me than a G? I presume that most of my wants - something sparkling and dazzling, since I'm not getting a big stone - could be accomplished by cut and then clarity, right? If a J would look just as good then I'm comfortable with that...

diamante-girl

Rough_Rock
Hi matchs,

A few months ago I felt like you: I would have never imagined that I would have bought a diamond online. I purchased a diamond ring locally, a .71ct RB IGI certified at a local jeweler. Then I stumbled onto Pricescope. I educated myself on the tons of information listed here and began to question my purchase. I had the ring checked out by a GIA gemologist, and found that the color and clarity were correct, but the cut was fair to poor, too deep. I returned it before my time was up. I had spent $2,300 for this ring.

I looked at the recommended vendors and found a far superior stone I liked on James Allen. I went down in size to a .62ct RB but it was an AGS 000 ideal cut G, SI1, with a HCA of 1.0. (my local stone, being too deep, had almost the same diameter) I had it checked out for eye- clean by their gemologist and it passed with flying colors! I bought it and had it set in one of their settings. I felt that i gave up just a hair in size but got super quality and certified by a reputable company. I spent a total of $2,268.00 for the whole thing.

It is a FAR superior stone to the one I got locally!!

Beautiful, clean and Very sparkly! I'm so glad I took the time to educate myself and by online, I wouldn't have gotten even close to what I got by trying to buy locally.

I think you will be able to find one online that you will love too. The suggestions above great options.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
matchs|1305062057|2917736 said:

Is a J-colored diamond going to look any differently to me than a G? I presume that most of my wants - something sparkling and dazzling, since I'm not getting a big stone - could be accomplished by cut and then clarity, right? If a J would look just as good then I'm comfortable with that...

A nicely cut J colored diamond will look as nice as a G to most anyone. There are some extremely color sensitive people who will detect some warmth, but generally it will look nice and white if its cut well. I own a J colored cushion and I have put it up next to diamonds of much higher color grades and not seen much of a difference, if any, especially in sunlight. I think a J colored stone is a great way to save some money!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Do you live near a Jarreds? They are way overpriced, but I think their peerless collection would give you a good idea of how you feel about J colored diamonds. For me I would get a J ideal or near ideal in a hearbeat for a ring!

I am pretty color sensative but if a diamond is well cut and great quality, I prefer the larger size and bigger sparkle higher color diamonds offer for my budget:)

My pendant is a K and I love it. It is a little creamier than my G earrings, but only noticeable in a side by side comparision and you are looking for it.

J tend to look very white, not even creamy like Ks.

Anyway, personally, if I were getting an ideal or near ideal cut diamond for my engagement ring (those can also represent tremendous value) I would get the biggest J eyeclean diamond (SI1, SI2, or I1 in the rare instance when you can find those!) and go to town:)

Full disclosure, I also love old cut diamonds in much higher colors, but for ideal cut diamonds I like diamonds that look white and I think Js are great (check out DreamerD's honkin' J ring and Neatfreak's gorgeous J earrings off the top of my head...).

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
Where do you live? lots of those online store has shop in place like Houston, NY etc so you can find the stone online and go to the store to look at it

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
matchs said:
I presume that most of my wants - something sparkling and dazzling, since I'm not getting a big stone - could be accomplished by cut and then clarity, right?

In terms of visual difference, this is how I would rank the 4C's.
1. Cut
2. Carat
3. Color
4. Clarity

All else equal, an eye-clean non-cloudy SI2 looks similar to an IF to the naked eye.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since you saw a stone with no lab report I think you can pretty much assume it is not the color and clarity it is represented to be, or that the cut is poor. Why? Because the vendor could send it to GIA and for about $250 get a report, and then sell the diamond for MUCH more than he is presently asking, if his specs are accurate and accounting for B&M markup. So, if he can do that, then why is he selling a diamond without a report? Yes, he probably has a good story about why, but there is no story good enough to explain why someone in sales would turn away $2500 to save $250. Vendors like that prey on poor knowledge from consumers to sell them substandard goods.

If you buy online you will see photos, and other images to help you pick. And you have a liberal return policy at all the vendors listed above to allow you to see the diamond before committing to the sale. So there are safeguards in place for consumers there.

If you prefer to shop locally, then look for diamonds with lab reports from GIA or AGS.

If you like this stone, then tell the vendor to send it to GIA for a report. If it comes back with a report confirming his estimate of the color and clarity, then you pay for the report and buy the diamond. If not, he pays and you walk. Seems win win if this is really a VG H SI1, no? 8)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
matchs|1305062057|2917736 said:

Cut is all that matters for what you describe. Clarity does not affect sparkle unless the stone is *very heavily* included. So focus on cut. As to color, I have a J and love it. If you liked an uncerted G, which is not likely to really be a G, then I bet you would like a J too. But if you plan to halo the stone I would suggest sticking to H and better to limit contrast between the center stone color and the halo.

ETA: And the WF stone you linked is not a comparable to the uncerted stone because it is an H&A AGS0, both of which carry a price premium over a VG cut (assuming the B&M stone is VG cut by GIA standards).

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
These also look like some really nice options from JA :appl:

Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread
or diameter for weight Very Good
Total Visual Performance 1 - Excellent
within TIC range

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1362614.asp

Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread
Total Visual Performance 1 - Excellent
within TIC range

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1363183.asp

Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread
Total Visual Performance 0.3 - Excellent
within TIC range

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1363187.asp

diamante-girl

Rough_Rock
Hi matchs,

I posted to you above "from diamante-girl" Reguarding my story in buying online versus a local store. I hope that I'm able to post a picture of my James Allen .62ct AGS 000, G, SI1 RB. I don't have a picture edit program on my iMac yet, so I transferred it to a PC and used paint to get it smaller. (blindly going along!!! :twirl: ). (The three that farmer girl linked to are similar to the one I bought.)

I will try to post it so you can see how a nice .62ct can look. If this works, I will try posting some more pics. (I am now looking for a half-eternity wedding band that will not overpower my e-ring.)

Here goes, I hope this works! :rolleyes:

DSC01529 front shot.jpg

matchs

Rough_Rock
That's a beautiful ring, diamante....and thanks, everyone, for the great and helpful responses. I spent some time last night looking through the links and reading a bit more, so now I hopefully qualify as only moderately ignorant.

I'm convinced now that I need to find something online, certified, with cut as king, preferably an H at worst (since it will be in a halo) and eye-clean SI2 or better. Does it make sense to move up to something like a solasfera, or is that overkill in, say, a .62? I don't know that I'll have an opportunity to go compare one with an H&A or other super ideal in person, so I'm curious. I've read the posts here at PS asking a similar question but I need some direction on cut. The theme seems to be that the Solasfera cut is great in a large stone, but perhaps not as effective in smaller...but would I get more brilliance with that?

GOG can bring in for me a .61 H, SI2 at 5.45x5.42x3.33, Solasfera cut with a faint fluorescence at somewhere around $1680. Or, 0.64, H, SI2, 5.58x5.55x3.41 at $1920. Am I paying a premium for that branded cut, or is it worth it?

Thanks again for walking me through this.

match

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Hi Match,

Personally I wouldn't pay the premium for a Solasfera, particularly not for this stone size, but if you like that H SI2 stone the price difference isn't that much from the G SI1 below (the G SI2 is a great deal if eye clean for you IMO:)).

You are smart to stick with G-H color if you are doing a halo setting.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104049771020

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104051366053 (if eye clean)

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
looks beautiful so long as it's eye clean! I don't see anything in the picture on my screen which is bigger than it would appear on your hand, but better to have BGD make that assessment of course. Congrats!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results