shape
carat
color
clarity

20 year anniversary present. Any info on aqua, age of ring appreciated:-)

justadudeinsweden

Rough_Rock
I ended up buying this ring off of ebay as a 20 year anniversary present for my wife.

A little nervous that it is too ostentatious for her especially since I spent more than I could afford.

Anyway, I was hoping that you could help me with information on this ring. Perhaps with a nice story, she will like it more?

While I have a GIA certificate confirming the stone is blue, the seller said that it is a Santa Maria aqua. Also, the seller said that it is untreated. Can I call this a Santa Maria aqua and tell my wife it is untreated? If it is not the santa maria color, what color would you say it is? Blue? light green blue?

I am also very curious as to when the ring was made. The seller said she had it for many years in her collection and thought that the platinum ring was made sometime between the 20s and 40s. What do you think?

I assume that this is a one-off production piece, but what do I know. Anyone ever seen this ring style before? Capture2.PNG Capture4.PNG Capture11.PNG Capture.PNG

Thanks,
justadudeinsweden

justadudeinsweden

Rough_Rock
p.s. the last picture is a screenshot from the GIA report.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a beautiful & very bold ring! If you do a Google image search for Ballerina ring, you will see many other examples.

As for date, I would guess 1940's to 1950's but I'm no expert.

Calling @Bron357 and @stracci2000 They'll hopefully be able to give you more information.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love this ring. Beautiful. :love: Congratulations and happy anniversary! Please come back with hand shots.:appl:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While aquamarine stones are mined in locations all around the globe, some of the finest gemstones are found in Brazil. It was in the Santa Maria de Itabira mine in Menas Gerais, Brazil, where the original aquamarine gemstone possessing a unique deeply saturated blue hue was discovered. Thus, stones with such a color are now dubbed ‘Santa Maria,’ regardless of their origin.

Based on these photos, your Aqua is a pretty blue color but is not deeply saturated and IMHO it would be inaccurate to describe it as Santa Maria aqua blue.

The GIA report on your Aqua should state the treatment - whether it was heated or treated - if the report says no treatment detected, then you could truthfully tell your wife the Aqua is unheated.

If you are uncertain whether your wife will like the ring and it is over-budget, perhaps you want to reconsider your choice of anniversary present?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a beautiful & very bold ring! If you do a Google image search for Ballerina ring, you will see many other examples.

Calling @Bron357 and @stracci2000 They'll hopefully be able to give you more information.

I agree with @Alex T
This looks like 40s-60s.
It's very beautiful!
The only draw back I can see is that the side baguettes might catch on things during wear.
But as a special occasion ring, this might not really be a problem.
Its beautiful!!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too have concerns about the setting getting caught, otherwise, it is a nice stone and ring.

Happy Anniversary in advance!

DK :))

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful but I feel concerned. If you spent more than you can afford and you think the ring is too ostentatious for her I think you should either cancel the sale or return the ring. May I suggest you have a conversation with your wife about your wishes to grant her a wonderful anniversary present with her input in mind? I know that current marketing is about "surprising" someone with a gift of jewelry, but many times the gift is not as well received as hoped. You can be sure to please her if you know exactly what she wants. She might be thrilled to pick out a piece that speaks to her with the knowledge that you care enough to make sure her choice reflects her personality and lifestyle.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous ring, Happy Anniversary!!

justadudeinsweden

Rough_Rock

Great tip and spot on. I've now found lots of Ballerina rings online. I just assumed it was called a cocktail ring.

justadudeinsweden

Rough_Rock
While aquamarine stones are mined in locations all around the globe, some of the finest gemstones are found in Brazil. It was in the Santa Maria de Itabira mine in Menas Gerais, Brazil, where the original aquamarine gemstone possessing a unique deeply saturated blue hue was discovered. Thus, stones with such a color are now dubbed ‘Santa Maria,’ regardless of their origin.

Based on these photos, your Aqua is a pretty blue color but is not deeply saturated and IMHO it would be inaccurate to describe it as Santa Maria aqua blue.

The GIA report on your Aqua should state the treatment - whether it was heated or treated - if the report says no treatment detected, then you could truthfully tell your wife the Aqua is unheated.

If you are uncertain whether your wife will like the ring and it is over-budget, perhaps you want to reconsider your choice of anniversary present?

I just have a pic of the Gia scan which is incomplete. It says to see scan for any additional info.

I looked.at the Gia grading scale and it was really hard to tell what color the aqua is. Seemed in the optimal range. I didn’t think it looked like Santa Maria, but I am kinda glad for that. I prefer saturated but not too saturated:)

justadudeinsweden

Rough_Rock
It’s an absolutely wonderful ring. Extremely striking and beautiful. It reminds me of princess Diana’s iconic ring which Megan Markle wore on her wedding day - but a more eye catching design. Your wife is very lucky.

Lol. Glad you said that as she was part of the inspiration.

justadudeinsweden

Rough_Rock
It's beautiful but I feel concerned. If you spent more than you can afford and you think the ring is too ostentatious for her I think you should either cancel the sale or return the ring. May I suggest you have a conversation with your wife about your wishes to grant her a wonderful anniversary present with her input in mind? I know that current marketing is about "surprising" someone with a gift of jewelry, but many times the gift is not as well received as hoped. You can be sure to please her if you know exactly what she wants. She might be thrilled to pick out a piece that speaks to her with the knowledge that you care enough to make sure her choice reflects her personality and lifestyle.

Yeah, it is easy to get caught up in the hype. I love the idea of surprising my wife but you are probably correct, she would get as much if not more enjoyment picking out a ring. I wonder too if I really bought this for her or from me for her for me.

I’ll survive the hit to my savings and just sell my video game collection (My wife would be sure to approve that move) and eat ramen noodles for a bit.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just have a pic of the Gia scan which is incomplete. It says to see scan for any additional info.

I looked.at the Gia grading scale and it was really hard to tell what color the aqua is. Seemed in the optimal range. I didn’t think it looked like Santa Maria, but I am kinda glad for that. I prefer saturated but not too saturated:)

Did the seller not send you the original GIA report? That is strange ...

You should be able to enter the GIA report number into the GIA website - https://www.gia.edu/report-check-landing - and pull up the whole report so you can verify the listing details and information given to you by the seller.

justadudeinsweden

Rough_Rock
Did the seller not send you the original GIA report? That is strange ...

You should be able to enter the GIA report number into the GIA website - https://www.gia.edu/report-check-landing - and pull up the whole report so you can verify the listing details and information given to you by the seller.

The report was sent along with the ring to my mom. I can pull up the report via the number. Nothing is mentioned about treatment.

I assume that a fuller report is available with the QR code which I don’t have (yet From my mom) and can’t scan from the pic.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great tip and spot on. I've now found lots of Ballerina rings online. I just assumed it was called a cocktail ring.

It is a beautiful ring, no other way about it
i think its money well spent
I'd at least show it to your wife before changing your mind
20 years is very well done
Congratulations

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, it is easy to get caught up in the hype. I love the idea of surprising my wife but you are probably correct, she would get as much if not more enjoyment picking out a ring. I wonder too if I really bought this for her or from me for her for me.

I’ll survive the hit to my savings and just sell my video game collection (My wife would be sure to approve that move) and eat ramen noodles for a bit.

Yes, sell those games :lol:
You can jazz those noddles up with a $1 can of tuna and some frozen veg for next to nothing

justadudeinsweden

Rough_Rock
Tuna and egg? Lol now I’m having second thoughts;-)

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness I LOVE this aqua! That color is just spectacuar! What a beauty!!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's really beautiful! Congrats on your 20 year anniversary!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is spectacular but you know your wife best! Congratulations on 20 years and I hope she loves it as much as you do, if not more. I admire that you did some research before hand and I hope that the GIA report proves that it is everything you want it to be even better!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
stunning! I’d love to wear it and receive it as a gift.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very Beautiful ring.
yes, that is the colour tone often referred to as “Santa Maria” blue because of the vivid blue aquas found there in Brazil.
it is the current preferred tone.
excellent buying with a GIA report, it gives you certainty.
as others have said, is this ring (gem, style and size) to your wife’s known taste?
It’s a big ring, not for the faint hearted (mind you I have a huge aquamarine ring I adore).
I’d date it between 50s to 70s, that ballerina style cocktail ring were all the rage.
OK, found the listing.
hmmm, as an eBay buyer over 15 years, I wouldn’t have chosen that ring for that price. It is a beautiful ring for sure but rather price heavy.
There are 2 other similar rings but for about half the price.
OK, if you have overstretched yourself financially, are feeling regret, second guessing yourself AND you aren’t sure whether your dear wife will love love love it, you might consider returning it for refund.
too much money to spend for a ring that isn’t perfect for both you AND her.
These two off eBay are under $5,000. 7856AE57-129B-43A6-BF88-84614EEDD977.jpeg

Attachments

• 745F3409-3468-4D7D-8522-E5800D829681.jpeg
    745F3409-3468-4D7D-8522-E5800D829681.jpeg
    170 KB · Views: 9

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a beautiful ring, I love the color of the stone. But again it is a large and not the most practical ring so I would show to wife before you are out of return window, in case this is something she would not wear. Congrats on your anniversary!

justadudeinsweden

Rough_Rock
Very Beautiful ring.
yes, that is the colour tone often referred to as “Santa Maria” blue because of the vivid blue aquas found there in Brazil.
it is the current preferred tone.
excellent buying with a GIA report, it gives you certainty.
as others have said, is this ring (gem, style and size) to your wife’s known taste?
It’s a big ring, not for the faint hearted (mind you I have a huge aquamarine ring I adore).
I’d date it between 50s to 70s, that ballerina style cocktail ring were all the rage.
OK, found the listing.
hmmm, as an eBay buyer over 15 years, I wouldn’t have chosen that ring for that price. It is a beautiful ring for sure but rather price heavy.
There are 2 other similar rings but for about half the price.
OK, if you have overstretched yourself financially, are feeling regret, second guessing yourself AND you aren’t sure whether your dear wife will love love love it, you might consider returning it for refund.
too much money to spend for a ring that isn’t perfect for both you AND her.
These two off eBay are under $5,000. 7856AE57-129B-43A6-BF88-84614EEDD977.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results