shape
carat
color
clarity

2 types of princess cuts exist!?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lovesquares

Rough_Rock
I was looking at the diagrams which come at the bottom of every GIA report and noted that there seems to be two different cutting styles for the table in princess cut diamonds (pavillions looked the same). (I would post them here but I don''t know how) Does anyone else know what I am referring to? Is there any advantage of one style of table cut over the other?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The plots do not describe acurately the actual facet patterns of the respective diamonds. Those are stock photos that somewhat resemble reality - nothing more, nothing less. I know there are a dozen or so different plots for "radiants" but... what do these particular two for princess cuts look like ? I bet there are more the two in use. Generic cuts have few rules at all - as long as the finished product looks like a "princess cut" is expect, than this trade name is applied. To GIA all these are "modified square brilliant" for a reason...

Can you post the two ?

lovesquares

Rough_Rock
Ana,

Do you know how to get just the plots from a GIA derts to show up on here. I''m looking at GIA certificates on BlueNile, DirtCheap, etc.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The easiest is to make a link to the pages where the stones are posted. Otherwise, you can download the pictures on your computer and upload them (entirely, or just the plots cut out) here.

Another option ? e-mail me the links PM
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The links goes to the DCD princess cut pages - not to your selection of two diamonds. Can you post (or PM) the stoclk numbers ?

lovesquares

Rough_Rock
Hi Ana,

I''m pathetic with computers....

AFter getting to DCD website from the link above, look at the GIA certs for the last two stones, stock numbers 6950852 and 7187135. The plots look different from each other. (The two stones are listed under "signature princess")

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah... if you look very, very closely to the corners of the two princess cuts (the pictures of the diamonds) you will see they are indeed differently cut. IF GIA''s drwaings are 100% true to nature - probably not. AT least the proportions of the crown facets would not match. Whether one type of cuting or the other is more effective - this is a serious hair splitter for a cutter to answer. This is certainly some fine technicality I would expect to debate on a jewelers'' forum. (not that I do that). I doubt there is a straight and useful answer.

Besides, looking at pictures and certs you do have a true, obvious winner between these two. They are nearly the same size, the same price and one looks WAY better by numbers and GIAcert and looks. Need I say more ?
2.gif

22Pdcd.JPG

lovesquares

Rough_Rock
Hi Ana,

Your computer skills are great. Thanks for that answer.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Primarily has to do with the way the corners are cut. One is called "bezeled corners" the other "french corners". This plot shows those differences plus it aslo shows the 2 sets of crown angles and 2 sets of pavilion angles that will be instrumental in determining the cut grade of princess cuts from AGS. I may post this in the other thread too since it doesn''t reveal the charts but at least which facets are going to be measured.

Regarding these 2 types of facet arrangements for the princess cuts these differences do not account for any kind of great optical difference. What you want to focus on is getting the right combination of proportions that will produce the most brilliant princess cut. That will have a much greater impact on the face up appearance than that minor difference in the facet arrangement.

Regards,

squareprincessfacets.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results