shape
carat
color
clarity

2 Stones - Please help me choose!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cutey TT

Shiny_Rock
After looking at a 3.40 E SI1 with a visible inclusion, I decided that I needed VS clarity. I decreased the carat weight as a result, and increased clarity to stay within budget. I am looking at two stones now, and ironically, they are priced the same. So cost not being a factor, which would you choose? Also, both are GIA EX, EX, EX with no culet or fluorescence.

2.80 G VS2 (9.08 x 9.11 x 5.56 mm)
T = 56% D = 61.1%
Crown Angle = 35 Crown Height = 15.0%
Pavilion Angle = 40.8 Pavilion Depth = 43.0%
HCA 1.5 TIC (EX, EX, EX, VG)
AGA 1A

2.75 G VS1 (8.98 x 9.05 x 5.56 mm)
T = 57% D=61.7%
Crown Angle = 35.0 Crown Heigh = 15.0%
Pavilion Angle = 41.0 Pavilion Depth = 43.5%
HCA 2.4 (VG, VG, VG, VG)
AGA 1B

As you can see, stone #2 does not have a great HCA score because of the 35/41 angle combo. I've read all about borderline steep/deeps and know that it can be a really beautiful diamond (vendor says it is).

So, we're basically comparing a VS2 that is 0.1 mm larger w/ a smidge better pavilion angle to a VS1. Also, stone #1 has a more recent GIA certificate (March 2007 vs. September 2006) so it is laser inscribed (which DH likes).

Lastly, from a logistical perspective, stone #2 is more convenient in that it is being acquired by the vendor from whom I'm purchasing the setting. Stone #1 is owned by another vendor and therefore, must be purchased from them, sent to my home, and then re-sent to the vendor with the setting.

cutey TT

Shiny_Rock
Here is the clarity plot for stone #1, showing only clouds (the little black dot was on the scanner apparently and is not on the cert).

2.80 G-VS2 Clarity Plot.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Cutey,

Could you get Idealscope images for these diamonds? Also if the vendor could get a Sarin report on the second diamond, that would give more detailed measurements, as the GIA now rounds the numbers.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think these are great choices! I''d also like to see the idealscopes on them or at least magnified photos of the stones. That 36 crown angle is a bit unusual around here, and price being equal, I''d probably lean loward VS1. But I''d like to see the idealscopes, if possible.

cutey TT

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/12/2008 11:05:13 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I think these are great choices! I'd also like to see the idealscopes on them or at least magnified photos of the stones. That 36 crown angle is a bit unusual around here, and price being equal, I'd probably lean loward VS1. But I'd like to see the idealscopes, if possible.
Oops, both have crown angles = 35.0. I made the correction in the OP.

I have a terrible picture of stone #1 that the vendor sent me...I am trying to resize it so I can post it...

ETA: I have a pic of stone #1, not #2.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, thanks for the correction! The 36 gave that one about a 3.4 on the HCA!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another question, does each vendor have a trade-in policy or buy back policy?

cutey TT

Shiny_Rock
Okay, here it is (stone #1, the 2.80 G VS2):

Diamond_529077.JPG

cutey TT

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/12/2008 11:11:03 AM
Another question, does each vendor have a trade-in policy or buy back policy?
The setting is going to be the Michael B 3-sided petite princess with diamond prongs and tips, so unfortunately, there will be no upgrading of stones in the future. The VS2 vendor does not have a trade-in policy, and I didn''t ask the VS1 vendor since I don''t think you can swap out stones from the Michael B setting.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, what a dreamy setting!!! Gosh, that looks like you can see the inclusion on that stone, but surely it is maybe just dirty? Seeing that might make me lean toward the other stone. And I will add that with a 2.75 ct. stone, I can't see any reason you'd ever need to upgrade!

Can you get a picture of the VS1 stone?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder if that is an inclusion or some muck, but it looks pretty if it is eyeclean!

cutey TT

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/12/2008 11:21:21 AM
Oh, what a dreamy setting!!! Gosh, that looks like you can see the inclusion on that stone, but surely it is maybe just dirty? Seeing that might make me lean toward the other stone. And I will add that with a 2.75 ct. stone, I can''t see any reason you''d ever need to upgrade!

I just emailed the vendor to see if I can get a SARIN report and pic of the VS1 stone.

I think that the weird thing in the picture of the VS2 stone must be a reflection or something cuz they have confirmed that it is eye-clean and the black dot on the cert is from the scanner. The only inclusions the VS2 stone has are those 3 clouds in the center of the table.

Lastly, do you think there is a prob with the VS1 stone having an older cert?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/12/2008 11:29:01 AM
Author: cutey TT

Oh, what a dreamy setting!!! Gosh, that looks like you can see the inclusion on that stone, but surely it is maybe just dirty? Seeing that might make me lean toward the other stone. And I will add that with a 2.75 ct. stone, I can't see any reason you'd ever need to upgrade!

I just emailed the vendor to see if I can get a SARIN report and pic of the VS1 stone.

I think that the weird thing in the picture of the VS2 stone must be a reflection or something cuz they have confirmed that it is eye-clean and the black dot on the cert is from the scanner. The only inclusions the VS2 stone has are those 3 clouds in the center of the table.

No worries there, the report date is fine, sometimes it takes a little while for a diamond to find it's rightful home.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t think it is a problem either. 2.75 ct. stones don''t just move like hotcakes, I''m sure!

cutey TT

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/12/2008 11:35:17 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 2/12/2008 11:29:01 AM

Oh, what a dreamy setting!!! Gosh, that looks like you can see the inclusion on that stone, but surely it is maybe just dirty? Seeing that might make me lean toward the other stone. And I will add that with a 2.75 ct. stone, I can''t see any reason you''d ever need to upgrade!

No worries there, the report date is fine, sometimes it takes a little while for a diamond to find it''s rightful home.
Thanks Lorelei and DS! Here is a pic of the VS1''s clarity plot... It''s a fax, but it looks like there are clouds at 12:00 and 2:30, as well as the 3 crystals between 8:00-10:00.

2.75 G-VS2 Clarity Plot.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn''t even worry about the clarity plot on a VS1 since the inclusions are so insignificant anyway. I hope they send you a picture! I know I''d rather have VS1 in a larger stone if it is equal in beauty cut-wise.

cutey TT

Shiny_Rock
Can I add one more stone to the mix? This one is $5000+ cheaper than the other two stones above since it''s smaller:

2.50 G-VS1 (8.79 x 8.82 x 5.34 mm)
Table = 57% Depth = 60.6%
Girdle = Med, faceted
No Culet or Fluorescence
Ex, Ex Symmetry and Polish
Crown Angle = 34.0 Crown Height = 14.5%
Pavilion Angle = 41.0 Pavilion Depth = 43.5%
HCA 1.3 TIC (EX, EX, VG, VG)
AGA 1A

cutey TT

Shiny_Rock
No Sarin report or picture available for the 2.75 G-VS1. I am leaning towards either the 2.50 G-VS1 or the 2.75 G-VS1 since going with either of those will be logistically easier for me. Any thoughts either way?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, nice selection! I think the 2.5 ct. stone looks fine! Judging from some of the other girls on here who have stones around 2.3 cts. like Mara, Lynn, Kaleigh, etc., I really think 2.5 is plenty large. But if you were originally thinking about 3 cts., maybe you would be better off going with the 2.75.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/12/2008 6:25:37 PM
Wow, nice selection! I think the 2.5 ct. stone looks fine! Judging from some of the other girls on here who have stones around 2.3 cts. like Mara, Lynn, Kaleigh, etc., I really think 2.5 is plenty large. But if you were originally thinking about 3 cts., maybe you would be better off going with the 2.75.
I agree, even large diamonds can shrink dramatically, so if your initial goal was 3 plus carats, then maybe consider the larger diamond....

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn''t make such a large purchase decision based on what is logistically easier. Have you seen any of these stones?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
to avoid threadjacking elle's thread any further i decided to bump yours so we can threadjack it
9.gif

Date: 2/14/2008 10:52:19 PM
mrssalvo - thanks! The 4-week countdown has begun... BTW, when do you get your *gorgeous* ring back, sized down? I posted in your original thread, but that thing looks huge and perfect on you. I checked with Bill to see if there was anything on that Daniel K closeout list for me, but there wasn't anything in the carat weight I was looking for (*boo hoo!). Bill is great though, and I am glad to be working with him again. Yes, MB is $$$, but the workmanship is beautiful in person. They just raised their prices too, effective tomorrow 2/15.

4 weeks isn't too bad at all!! As for my ring..thanks so much. I am just thrilled with it. As for when I'll get it back, I'm not sure. I shipped it back to Bill and then he's got to ship it to DK and they will decide if they can size it or if they will have to remake. If it's a remake it obviously will take a lot longer. I totally agree that the MB workmanship is just amazing and second to none. I heard about the price increase too, looks like you got in just in time
36.gif

cutey TT

Shiny_Rock
Hehe, I thought about reviving this thread and probably should''ve done so myself instead of TJ''ing elle''s.
38.gif

Yep, Michael B is increasing their prices significantly as of tomorrow, to adjust for the increase in platinum (apparently, their last price increase was back in June ''06). I believe the new prices have been posted on Bill''s site already. Bill had told me it was going to happen, so I just needed to make a decision by today (which I did).

I didn''t realize I was so commitment-phobic. I mean, I''d been obsessing over this upgrade for a while now...and then once I got the green light, I couldn''t make a decision. I''ve always loved MB...but I thought that I wanted to go with a plain solitaire from LM for my upgrade (since I already have the Ritani pictured in my avatar). When I couldn''t find a stone that I liked with all my desired specs (and more importantly, within budget), I decided to go smaller and go with a fancier setting. I''m hoping that once I get the finished product, the 2.75 will look sufficiently big enough for me...that DSS won''t set in too quickly. Honestly, my sweet spot is 3+ but I''m hoping that at ~9 mm, this stone will be close enough and the diamond prongs and tips will make the stone appear slightly larger.

So yeah, that''s my long, drawn out story...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
cutey, I hope the 2.75 will be big enough for you too. Like DS said above, Lynn, mara, kaleigh are all in the 2.5 range so you''re in excellent company and other the the crazy Lynn who a 7 carat would be too small
2.gif
, the other ladies seem really happy with the sizes of their stone. add to that the amazing setting and I think it will keep you content for a long time. oh and if you do ever decide you want to go to the 3+ carat mark, I''m pretty sure you can still use your setting, you''d just have to pay MB to remake the head, which wouldn''t be cheap, but still possible and cheaper than buying a whole new ring. Back when pearlmans had a lace setting on consignment I think butterfly inquired about the head being large enough for her stone and Bill said MB would just remake it. that one wasn''t covered in pave though so don''t quote me. I really would be surprised though if you''ll want to change it after all is said and done. you''re going to have one heck of a ring
1.gif

cutey TT

Shiny_Rock
Thanks mrssalvo, you''re so sweet! I did ask Bill about possibly changing the head in the future, and he said it was possible...but you''re right, I''m sure it wouldn''t be cheap...then again, at least it''s an option should DSS set on so bad that I decide it''s worth the trouble (and the extra cost).

Hopefully this one will keep me happy for a long time so I won''t have to worry about it.
2.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
what size is your finger again?

cutey TT

Shiny_Rock

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh i think the 2.75 in the MB then will really be perfect!! at my local jeweler they have a 2.5 set in the setting and it looks huge on me, like celebrity huge. dee jay is a 4.5 and i know you''ve seen the pics of her trying on the MB at pearlmans but look how huge the 2 carat looks on her!! yummy!!!

12%20Michael%20B%20hand0001.jpg

13%20Michael%20B%20with%20band0001.jpg

14%20Michael%20B%20side0001.jpg

cutey TT

Shiny_Rock
Yep, those pictures DeeJay took at Pearlmans are great. I went to a local MB dealer to get an idea of what different sized CZs would look like on me, and I just ended up more confused than ever. I saw one that looked kind of smaller in the petite 3-sided setting...I asked the sales rep approximately what size equivalent the CZ was and was told that it was a 2.5. It didn''t look anything close to the 2 ct. in DeeJay''s picture... So I looked at another one that looked a bit larger, but definitely nice on my finger. Same question, and the sales rep says it''s the equivalent of a 3 ct. It didn''t look like a 3 ct. to me, but maybe my eyes are all skewed from lurking here too long.

If my finished ring looks something like the pictures you posted (above), then I think I will be happy. Haha, it''s just a waiting game now...and we''ll see what my initial reaction is when I open the box and try the ring on for the first time!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2008 11:38:43 AM

If my finished ring looks something like the pictures you posted (above), then I think I will be happy. Haha, it''s just a waiting game now...and we''ll see what my initial reaction is when I open the box and try the ring on for the first time!

well, i just over the moon sooooooo excited for you (and a little jealous
2.gif
). seriously, this has been a dream set of mine for a long time and i''m so excited to see it on somebody!! you''ll have to post loads and loads of pictures when you get it!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results