shape
carat
color
clarity

2 Stones, Can''t Decide

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PowderD

Rough_Rock
Hi All

I''ve been fortunate to stumble upon your site at just the right time. I''ve been looking for a diamond for my girlfriend(of 5 years) and obviously would like to get a quality stone. Through a dealer one of my friends used(and was happy with the results) he has 2 diamonds that we have spoken about. The following are the measurments:

PGS certified
.77ct. Round brilliant
Top Ideal Cut. H&A''s
SI1 in clarity
H in color
62% depth
57% table

PGS certified
Top Ideal Cut. H&A''s .76ct.
5.86 - 5.90 x 3.64mm
SI1 in clarity
F in color
61% depth
54% table
$500 more than the above diamond

Do you all think that it is worth a $500 dollar difference to buy the 2nd diamond for $500 more? Any input would be outstanding.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Can the dealer call the stones in for you to look at?

I''d want to know

the measurements of the H stone
the crown and pavilion angles of both stones
the nature of the inclusions in the stones
whether or not you can see a difference in the color

Anything you can find out to make a final decision might be helpful . . . flourescence, culet size, symmetry, etc.

If you''re just going off of the numbers, I might pick the F stone. I''d rather have a depth of 61% than 62% for spread purposes. I''m guessing the F stone has a slightly larger diameter than the H. But if it''s really pretty equal and the inclusions in both stones are a non-issue, I''d go for the H to save money.

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
What is pgs certified?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to PS! You have come to the RIGHT place!

And BTW, we need more information on the diamonds!

Lynn

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you give us the crown and pavilion angles?? Going by what you''ve given us, the second one sounds better as the depth is better than the first stone, but we need more info in order to help you. Oh and welcome to PS!!!!!
1.gif

PowderD

Rough_Rock
I will get you all that info first thing in the morning. The gentleman i''m working with is great to work with and will answer any question. Could you please give me the things you all would need in order to have a more informed decision and I will post it in the morning.

P.S.
PGS is where and with whom the diamond has its certification. Please do a search on this board for further information regarding PGS.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
PGS is a gem lab out of Chicago.
Wink uses them and speaks highly of them.

PowderD

Rough_Rock
PGS certified
Top Ideal Cut. H&A''s .76ct.
5.86 - 5.90 x 3.64mm
SI1 in clarity
F in color
61% depth
54% table
Crown: 34.7'' 15.5%
Pavillion: 40.9'' 42.7%
Flourescence: none
Culet size: .02% - none
Girdle: med. to slightly thick
Symmetry: good to very good
Nature of Inclusions(where): one white/clear inclusion dead center

here is the information for the diamond and I want to know if this is a quality stone. The other diamond that was available was sold over the weekend and he is currently searching for a similar diamond so as to give me another option if I wanted it. As i''ve said before, he''s very good to work with. Any suggestions/comments would be much appreciated.

jewelgirl

Shiny_Rock
HCA likes it....gives it a 1.7, which is what the diamond I am about to buy has an hca sore of.

Is it eyeclean?????

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Does the certificate say it is H&A? "Good to very good" symmetry makes me wonder about that.

However, you''re not going to be walking around with a H&A viewer, so as long as you like the look of the stone, it sounds like a good deal. You can''t see the inclusion, right?

PowderD

Rough_Rock
the response:

the stone is 100% eyeclean, the symmetry is good.

cert states "top ideal cut. stone displays the hearts and arrows pattern" directly on the cert.

comments?

polacytu

Rough_Rock
What''s the price on the diamonds?

PowderD

Rough_Rock
$2400 on the F color, 2000 on the H color(which is now not available), but he is searching for a similiar diamond to offer me another option.

polacytu

Rough_Rock
Are you located in the Chicagoland area? I am also looking for something similar. Can you provide me with information for this dealer that you are working with?

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/18/2005 2:35:14 PM
Author: PowderD
$2400 on the F color, 2000 on the H color(which is now not available), but he is searching for a similiar diamond to offer me another option.
sounds like a good price for a stone of that size/color/clarity............

EZ

Rough_Rock

Date: 7/18/2005 2:20:36 PM
the response:

the stone is 100% eyeclean, the symmetry is good.

cert states ''top ideal cut. stone displays the hearts and arrows pattern'' directly on the cert.

comments?

Here is a good tutorial on H&A. I found it while doing diamond research on the web and subsequently found out about PriceScope by following the tree: https://www.pricescope.com/hearts_indx.asp.

My thoughts now are that if it does not meet the specs it''s not really H&A. Saying something like "displays" is not the same thing in my mind as "it is." I''d ask for clarification. I''d also base future trust on the answer I was given. As someone else mentioned, good to very good symmetry makes me wonder.

Carl
"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Price seems to be in-line to good. PGS has a very good reputation. I think it''s run by the old head of EGL-LA.

Have you seen these stones? You are paying a premium of about 20-25% for the F stone vs an H stone. Can you tell a difference in the color? Most people can''t in a stone this size. Also, do you need a bird in the hand? If not, and you don''t think the premium is something you won''t "see" then see if he can find you something else to your criteria.

PowderD

Rough_Rock
yes, i have seen the stones and it does make a difference when compared side by side. looking by themselves I would have to say probably not. I guess my own personal choice would be to go with the F because my budget was going to be around $3000 and i''m getting the stone size i thought was realistic for a cheaper price anyhow. I am was mainly concerned as to how it shaped up against other diamonds of its size/price/specifications.

and basically looking for people''s opinion that seem to have a clue other than dealers and jewlry store clerks that could care less about whether you''re happy and more about getting you out the door with an expensive diamond that may be terrible.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2005 5:17:52 PM
yes, i have seen the stones and it does make a difference when compared side by side. looking by themselves I would have to say probably not. I guess my own personal choice would be to go with the F because my budget was going to be around $3000 and i''m getting the stone size i thought was realistic for a cheaper price anyhow. I am was mainly concerned as to how it shaped up against other diamonds of its size/price/specifications.

and basically looking for people''s opinion that seem to have a clue other than dealers and jewlry store clerks that could care less about whether you''re happy and more about getting you out the door with an expensive diamond that may be terrible.
Looks as good as any for the price. Go with the F. Do you know how to do the price comparison feature here? If not, it''s under "price" at the top of the tool bar - tick the price comparison and enter in the specs you are considering.

Good luck!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I like it!

I think it''s going to be a beauty. I love the #s. My only (non-glowingly-positive) thought is that perhaps the cutter left a little weight in the girdle to get it over the benchmark .75 size... but its total depth is still fine, so I''m sure that''s not really a problem at all. I love the smaller table and I''m sure it''s quite eyeclean. All that, coupled with the F color... I think you''ve found a great one! Good job!

Lynn

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results