shape
carat
color
clarity

2 small needles under table of D VS2 1.51 carat....opinions???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DiamondShopr

Rough_Rock
I just bought a diamond over the internet and the stone is very clean, but it has 2 small needles under the center of the table. They can''t be seen from the top or the bottom, but show up as a ring around the diamond when viewed from the side. Is this common for inclusions in VS2''s to be visible from the side? Should I not be concerned with this at all? Is the "ring" that I see due to the inclusions being central? I am thinking of returning the diamond and trying again. Any opinions would be appreciated.....

John
wink2.gif

Rook

Shiny_Rock
Well first I would have an expert independant appraiser look at it. But, if you can not see it from the top (I assume you mean with a loop) then I would not worry about it. Once it is set, you will most likely not be able to see it from the side.

Make sure it is not a laser drill mark though?

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What you may possibly be seeing John is a reflection of the girdle within the pavilion. Many times when people see this for the first time they immediately think it is the imperfection when in fact it's simply a reflection of the girdle. I have a picture of this phenomena on our tutorial under tip #9.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/clarity_tips.htm

Is this what you're observing?

Regards,
Rhino

DiamondShopr

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the post rhino, I was fearing that the tiny needles under the table were causing that ring, I guess I should have read up more on this (it seems like I've read som much yet still ahve so much to learn). Thanks for pointing that out to me, that has eased one of my fears. I still may make the return and check out some diamonds with more in-depth analysis attached.

John
appl.gif

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Rhino's right... The phenomena is caused by the pavilion main and lower girdle facets coming together, it produces an optical illusion that some of our clients have mistaken for a crack in the diamond in the past... With regards to the visibility of inclusions from a side profile of diamonds, we fell it important to mention that diamonds are not faceted along the bottom half of the diamond to hide the inclusions and thus inclusions are frequently visible from the side even in VVS clarity grades depending on the location of the inclusion(s) within the diamond. Diamonds are cut to be viewed from the top and graded the same way.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No prob DS. Of course I would always recommend getting it double checked by a pro to confirm anything or any advice that you're getting from the forum as well. It can be hard for us to sometimes give 110% accurate info without seeing the actual stone in question.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask or email.

Kind regards,
Rhino

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results