shape
carat
color
clarity

2 Identical Rings with 2 Twin Stones, 2 Stone Setters!

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
I just had an interesting experience to compare the work results of two stone setters. Thought you might want to know.

The rings: my favorite LOGR rings (what I call lotus). One made with 14k white gold, the other two tone yellow/white gold.

The stones: two round tourmaline cut by Barry, both 9.2mm, the only difference is their color.

The setter: the red tourm was set in NY, the teal tourm set recently by a local goldsmith.

Here is the comparison picture.

UnEdited.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
So far I'm seeing why it cost more! More pics please!

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Don't get me wrong, I like both rings and I still think the NY setter did a fair job. However, when I picked up the teal tourmaline, my thoughts were: the lotus ring can be really so lotus like!

As you can see, the red tourmaline was set too high in the ring, therefore, not allowing the ring to show the opening effect of lotus pedals. I didn't realize how much light passes through the bottom of the tourmaline until tonight!

On the contrary, the teal tourmaline was set at perfect height, the lotus is in full blossom. Not only that, I love how the tips of the prongs bend inwards to hold the stone.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Plus it looks to me like the red tourmaline wasn't set quite straight so the table of it isn't flat and the girdle isn't either....Can we see more photos?

ETA: Could be the angle of the camera though.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the top view. Again you can see the difference in prong positions and how it reaches the top.

Need I say more?

Sorry about the night shot pictures, and they don't do the stones justice. I really love my new two-tone lotus ring. I secretly consider it not that far from the Leon lotus ring (of course when you factor in the price difference):

http://www.whiteflash.com/custom-design/lotus-engagement-ring.aspx

UnEdited1.jpg

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
FrekeChild said:
Plus it looks to me like the red tourmaline wasn't set quite straight so the table of it isn't flat and the girdle isn't either....Can we see more photos?

ETA: Could be the angle of the camera though.

It is probably camera angle. Here are farther away shots.

DSC_0010.JPG

DSC_0016.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The teal tourmaline setting job looks well done, proving that sometimes, the local benchperson is just as good or better than someone from the bigger locales.

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
yingh said:
Here is the top view. Again you can see the difference in prong positions and how it reaches the top.

Need I say more?

Sorry about the night shot pictures, and they don't do the stones justice. I really love my new two-tone lotus ring. I secretly consider it not that far from the Leon lotus ring (of course when you factor in the price difference):

http://www.whiteflash.com/custom-design/lotus-engagement-ring.aspx

Beautiful rings...question. You wrote that these were LOGR settings, but I see you have a link to Whiteflash. Are these LOGR settings? I didn't find anything this pretty on his site. :appl:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful!

Both stones are very pretty; I've thought about doing a red and a green stone, each in the same setting, the basic LOGR pave solitare.

I apologize if this is nosy- but what was the price difference between those two setting jobs?

I've moved recently and don't have a new jeweler yet; my old jeweler used to charge $15, set overnight, and did an amazing job. I know, how it was that possible? It was a small town, and the rates for setting was between $10-$15 nearly everywhere. No kidding! Now that I'm in a big city, setting prices feel astronomical to me- on top of the fact that I can't figure out who to trust without sending in a sacrificial lamb of a setting and stone.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, thank you for posting this. There is no comparison in quality of workmanship. I wonder, could it be that one stone is much deeper than the other, so that they could not be set the same?

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Yingh tks for sharing your experience. The first ring is prettier with the "curled in" prongs :love: Btw do you actually louped all your gems for scratches or chip after setting them?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
My initial guess would be that they're the same (or very similar!) in depth; they're both cut by Barry, have the same mm measurement, and in the same gem type. But, if they have different cuts, they very well might have different depths..good question Pink Tower! You have a sharp mind.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Yingh, I love your red tourmaline! That is a truly beautiful red.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono said:
The teal tourmaline setting job looks well done, proving that sometimes, the local benchperson is just as good or better than someone from the bigger locales.

This local goldsmith was recommended by my independent appraiser. It was said that he set the Hope diamond for the Smithsonian!

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Taylorbug! said:
Beautiful rings...question. You wrote that these were LOGR settings, but I see you have a link to Whiteflash. Are these LOGR settings? I didn't find anything this pretty on his site. :appl:

Taylorbug, thanks you!

These are both LOGR rings and you can browse all his listing with a search for "Round". I upgraded diamonds in both.

The Whiteflash ring was a comparison to show the upscale lotus ring made by Leon Mege.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Indylady, the NY setter charged me $40, and the local guy $75. Note that the two tone ring does not require rhodium plating. If replating is involved, he wants $90. I guess I will pay it! :$$):

Pink Tower, nice thoughts on the stone depth. However, the two stones are identical in depth. The weight difference was 0.02ct and they were both but by Barry. Plus I don't think the different jobs have anything to do with the depth. There is obviously much room for the pink tourm to go down further, but the setter didn't try.

chictomato , I have not louped the prongs. Will try that later! I remember your experience.

And thank you all for liking my rings!

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
IndyLady said:
My initial guess would be that they're the same (or very similar!) in depth; they're both cut by Barry, have the same mm measurement, and in the same gem type. But, if they have different cuts, they very well might have different depths..good question Pink Tower! You have a sharp mind.
Thx, Indy! I'm a Kindergarten teacher, so I am used to seeing things differently! :))

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yingh, your rings are beautiful but I can see you local jeweler did a nicer job. Wear them in good health.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
THe first thing I noticed looking at the pictures before even reading was how organic the teal ring looks. The red stone's setting looks like the benchperson didn't want to take away any metal weight with filing and polishing or perhaps feel free to make changes like curving the prongs, tapering them and rolling off the top. Your local setter is an artist. I doubt the red one can be redone in the same setting since the inside of the prongs has been filed out. A real shame since that one would look more awesome properly set.
Still you have gorgeous rings. and this was a great experiment and thread!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
The local guy did a great job! Are they in DC? I ask because you said they they worked for the smithsonian. I really need a competent DC jeweler!

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
It's interesting to see this comparison Yingh. The teal stone looks as though it is being cradled and revealed by the metal lotus, and the red looks like has been captured and is being held down. When I first opened this thread without reading the subject I thought I was looking at a color change and I was agog!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It just goes to show you than not all benchpeople are created equally, and Yingh, and believe me when I say there are benchpeople that would do a much worse job setting that red stone than how it is set now. Very scary :errrr:

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I swear I posted to this thread yesterday, but I have no idea where it is - bah! Sooooo,

I appreciate seeing the comparison, yingh - thanks for posting all the pics! I wouldn't say that the red tourmaline is set badly, it's obvious that your new local jeweler has a better eye for the aesthetic of your lotus setting. I've found that if you're picky about how your stones are set, it's best to give detailed instructions or bring photos. I'm definitely bringing yours if I ever get a lotus setting!

I don't think $75 is exobitant for that setting, and I think it's a little trickier than a standard 4 or 6-prong basket setting. My local jeweler in Springfield charges most people the same price for setting stones. I'm headed to NYC tomorrow, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I have good luck with any settings. I'd be interested in who you used, if you feel comfortable sharing.

Now the question is, will you get your red tourmaline re-set, or leave it as is?

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
cellentani said:
I swear I posted to this thread yesterday, but I have no idea where it is - bah! Sooooo,

I appreciate seeing the comparison, yingh - thanks for posting all the pics! I wouldn't say that the red tourmaline is set badly, it's obvious that your new local jeweler has a better eye for the aesthetic of your lotus setting. I've found that if you're picky about how your stones are set, it's best to give detailed instructions or bring photos. I'm definitely bringing yours if I ever get a lotus setting!

I don't think $75 is exobitant for that setting, and I think it's a little trickier than a standard 4 or 6-prong basket setting. My local jeweler in Springfield charges most people the same price for setting stones. I'm headed to NYC tomorrow, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I have good luck with any settings. I'd be interested in who you used, if you feel comfortable sharing.

Now the question is, will you get your red tourmaline re-set, or leave it as is?

Cellentani, I just realized that I forgot to answer your questions. I wish you had fun in NYC and please tell us about it!

My NYC setter is: Jacko's Jewelry, 25 West 47th St

My local setter is Steve who works in Liljenquest & Becksted Jewelry

I plan to ask Steve to take a look at the red tourmaline ring and advise on re-setting.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
yingh said:
cellentani said:

Cellentani, I just realized that I forgot to answer your questions. I wish you had fun in NYC and please tell us about it!

My NYC setter is: Jacko's Jewelry, 25 West 47th St

My local setter is Steve who works in Liljenquest & Becksted Jewelry

I plan to ask Steve to take a look at the red tourmaline ring and advise on re-setting.

Thanks for all the info! We went to JI Diamond at 41 W 47th, and also Klim, in the same area. I'd love to check out the local guy though. Glad to hear you had great results there - he did an awesome job!

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
cellentani said:
I appreciate seeing the comparison, yingh - thanks for posting all the pics! I wouldn't say that the red tourmaline is set badly,

Thanks for all the info! We went to JI Diamond at 41 W 47th, and also Klim, in the same area. I'd love to check out the local guy though. Glad to hear you had great results there - he did an awesome job!

I bought several pieces from Klim, they have good products. However, setting job was so so although it was free with purchase.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
yingh said:
cellentani said:
I appreciate seeing the comparison, yingh - thanks for posting all the pics! I wouldn't say that the red tourmaline is set badly,

I bought several pieces from Klim, they have good products. However, setting job was so so although it was free with purchase.

You know, it seems like all the jewelers have setters they work with, and it just depends on who's available that day. How was your experience working with Steve?

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Steve is the guy who sets the blue tourmaline in this thread. Highly recommended! Although he doesn't talk to customers, but the store lady is pleasant to deal with.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
yingh said:
Steve is the guy who sets the blue tourmaline in this thread. Highly recommended! Although he doesn't talk to customers, but the store lady is pleasant to deal with.
Okay, I think I might give them a call! And we need to GTG - I'm dying to see your jewelry stash!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results