shape
carat
color
clarity

2 cut grading questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

perfectionist

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I have two questions regarding cut grading. I'd appreciate any help you could give me.

1. I've read many places the the GIA does *not* grade cut. However, I just got "How to Buy a Diamond" by Fred Cuellar which states the GIA rates cuts in 4 classes, similar to AGS, based on dimensions meeting tolerances. Can someone tell me the most current status of the GIA cut-grading situation?

2. I'm interested in using the HCA, but it doesn't account for girdle thickness or culet size. Something I read suggested it would work better if it did. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether this really matters? Does anyone know the average girdle size used in the data collection for the system (that way I can look for stones with similar girdles)?

Thanks for any help on one or both questions!

Bill

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Perfectionist :)

Re: 1.
I believe those are very old grades. GIA abandoned class grading after their research had shown many combinations of crown and pavilion angles can produce great results. Currently GIA is working on a new cut grading system.

Re: 2.
You can enter culet into online HCA. It is very important to know culet if you are using pavilion depth % instead of angle. If you know pavilion angle culet is less important unless it is large and look like an inclusion or window in the center of a diamond.

We have stand alone version of HCA that rates girdle as well. Basicaly, it penalizes very thin or thick girdle because of chipping risk (very thin) or extra weight (very thick). Otherwise, girdle thickness is not so crucial.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
beware of Fred.

Do a google search, or search this site to find out about his criminal record and reputation.

GIA have spent millions on a new cut grade but have no conclusive findings yet.

garry Holloway

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results