shape
carat
color
clarity

2 ct. Colombian Emerald

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Since I've seen the emerald vs. tsavorite threads, I've been trying to see how they compare in real life. Now that I have a few tsavorites, my craving for an emerald grew even more. What is this legendary "glow" that people talk about?

After learning the basics on what makes a desirable emerald, I finally bit the bullet and bought my first one. It's 2 cts. in a 10K yellow gold setting. I will eventually reset it in 18K yellow gold, but at least for now I can wear it!! :appl:

It looks light in the pics (aquaish) but it's a bright medium blue-green in real life. It's so hard to capture the true color!! :twisted:

015_1_1.JPG

063_1_1.JPG

043_1_1.JPG

042_1_1.JPG

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Looks great. I know they wash out in pictures. I prefer that shade (well what you describe) over the really dark "ideal" color, medium blue-green is what makes my heart sing. Looks very clean! :appl:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know anything about emerald but . . . how beautiful!!!

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
PR, a lot of times, buying colored stones is just throwing every thing out the window and getting what you like.
I really like your stone. The color is fabulous and it has tons of personality. :appl:

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Kelpie! I'm not a fan of the medium-darks either, even though they are the "ideal" color. Like you, I have a soft spot for medium blue-greens. They remind me of tropical waters. Yours is gorgeous as well!

Kenny, thank you! I don't know why I didn't notice emeralds until now. But they have this glowy, velvety quality that is unlike any other stone I've known. Almost a mystical quality. It's definitely one of my favorite stones.

Thanks Texaskj! I haven't seen you on here in a while, how have you been? I was pretty nervous, as this is my first emerald purchase and I had to trust that the photo was going to be accurate. To my surprise, it's even better in real life.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PR,
Enjoy your new emerald ring. Two carats is a nice size, as emeralds are low density gems, and face up larger than most gems the same carat weight. It's lovely!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like what the yellow gold does for the emerald's color.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Definitely making me curious about emeralds!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Thanks TL!! Now I know what you mean about emeralds being difficult to photograph and they must be seen in person to be appreciated. I just can't get over the glow. Which is more glowy: emeralds or paraibas/cuprians?

Kenny, thanks again! You know, yellow gold would also look lovely on your blue FCD's, especially 18K and up. And you do have an emerald cut one. :naughty:

Centralsquare, it's the curiousity after seeing such beautiful PS'er emeralds that drew me in too. I love the look of antique Spanish emeralds in high carat yellow gold. They look so regal and elegant. :love:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
STUNNING! I love emeralds, they are amongst my favorite gemstones. 2 carats must have great finger coverage as well. Enjoy!

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know much about emeralds. The color is a pretty green and size of yours look substantial!! Congrats on your find!! :appl:

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Very nice! And the setting is wearable too. Will you keep the same style in 18k or do something different?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice purchase; so which one do you prefer now? Tsavorite or emerald?

As for your question, are you talking about top of the line emerald versus top of the line cuprian?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
platinumrock|1312526075|2984666 said:
Thanks TL!! Now I know what you mean about emeralds being difficult to photograph and they must be seen in person to be appreciated. I just can't get over the glow. Which is more glowy: emeralds or paraibas/cuprians?

I'm afraid that's a no-brainer - the Paraibas by a country mile. Emeralds have a lovely velvety glow but it's not the same.

I love Emeralds (only wear mine every now and again and baby them like mad) but they are a truly magnificent gemstone. As TL has said, 2ct is a nice size. The window is big and I doubt whether it will close up completely (even with the right setting) and for some reason you see many emerald cut emeralds like that. I think they're probably cut to keep the carat weight (but that's just speculation). If you re-set either white/yellow or platinum works well. I've got them in all colour ways but yellow gold just tips into my favourite.

Wear your lovely new ring in good health and whatever you do make sure you take it off when you wash your hands in hot water!!!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the bluish color of this stone. I think it is pretty, and 2cts is a good size!

NARRISHKEIT

Rough_Rock
Trade
LovingDiamonds said:
platinumrock|1312526075|2984666 said:
The window is big and I doubt whether it will close up completely (even with the right setting) and for some reason you see many emerald cut emeralds like that.

For expensive material like emeralds in step cuts a window like the above is often the case. This results from saving weight and cutting the first and second steps in the pavilion as steep as possible. Cutting those too steep for maximum weight results in a problem when finishing the stone where the last step has to be cut too shallow to finish. If their is not a lot of depth left, the bottom step is cut too shallow and it will act as a window like a large culet.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The window is large, but comfort yourself with the fact that it is not the largest one that I have seen in emerald cuts. :lol: I have a beautiful alexandrite in which the window is almost larger than the stone! But perhaps emeralds can be bezeled? I do not know much about them, I just remember that Kismet had a bezeled setting for an emerald and the stone looked beautiful in it. Yours is not too dark - perhaps it could be bezeled?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/extreme-makeover-emerald-edition.158547/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/extreme-makeover-emerald-edition.158547/[/URL]

Just wanted to post link to Kismet's emerald "makeover". Of course, her stone was much better cut to start with. What is important, though, is that bezeling, apparently, did not darken the stone too much. This is why I'd consider it in your situation. Just an idea because I do not have many emeralds. All I can say is that deep open bezel did not spoil my stones (a pair of earrings).

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
NARRISHKEIT|1312730831|2985850 said:
For expensive material like emeralds in step cuts a window like the above is often the case. This results from saving weight and cutting the first and second steps in the pavilion as steep as possible. Cutting those too steep for maximum weight results in a problem when finishing the stone where the last step has to be cut too shallow to finish. If their is not a lot of depth left, the bottom step is cut too shallow and it will act as a window like a large culet.
This is the answer for the window. We had Gustavo Castelblanco at Franklin Faceter's Frolic 4 talking turkey about cutting and treating emeralds. Often, the best color is along the rind. You cut to preserve the color to the point that you may polish a natural side and then match the cut to the other side. Meetpoint and facet optimization can go right out the window. Especially when cutting $4k a caret rough.

I bought a 1.3 ct crystal to cut for my wife. $120 a ct and that was the deal of the century (slight inclusions, and I mean slight weighed against other stones instead of compared to emeralds). I will post pics when I get to it. You should have seen the 3ct rough he brought! Wish I had $500 that weekend. When I get the FFF4 videos done, I will ask our moderators if I can link to it. But don't get too excited, as it will be at least a month before I can start editing.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I think that's an absolutely beautiful stone. The last image makes me want to buy an emerald regardless of a window.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
I'm late coming into this thread but I just wanted to thank all of you for your comments about my emerald! :))

Chrono, now that I've seen both, my favorite is the emerald, hands down. I am amazed by the velvety glow and color. Yes, I was referring to top of the line cuprians and emeralds. Although I have never seen either types of stones in person.

Kismet and Crasru, I would love to do a bezel in 18K YG, similar to yours and the one found in the Atocha. It looks so royal and legendary!

LD, thanks for the tip! Your emerald collection is amazing.

atocha.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's lovely. I think the color of your emerald is beautiful and lively.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is a lovely blue-green color.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In that case, I'd say that a cuprian will beat an emerald hands down. The top of the line Paraiba is nothing like the market has ever seen. The colour is so shocking that it looks fake.

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
It's just beautiful. So important that you wear it and enjoy it, whatever you decide re future settings. Enjoy, pickle! :twirl: :twirl: :twirl:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I also have a love for emeralds, I just love the glow.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Laila and Crasru, thank you!

Chrono, do you own a top of the line paraiba? I would LOVE to see that glow!

Natty, teehee! :oops: Thank you cupcake! When I get the funds to set this emerald, I will defnitely contact Dan to see if he can replicate this Atocha setting in 18K YG.

Indy, me too! The glow is amazing. Now I'm definitely curious about the glow of paraibas.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results