shape
carat
color
clarity

2 carat, good cut, D color, I1, for $9400 - Good Value?

johnjohnjohn2014

Rough_Rock
I'm getting a 2 carat round diamond, good cut, D color, I1, for CAD$9400? This is pre-tax and without band.

I really want to get a 2 carat ring and my budget is CAD$12-15k.

I'm going to have to make some sacrifices for a 2 carat ring. I figure I could go down in color and maybe move up in cut or clarity but its probably a big jump in cost.

1) What do you think of the value for the type of the diamond I'm getting?

2) If I was sacrificing the color from D to lower like a J, where should I improve, cut or clarity? I'm assuming cut will be way more expensive to improve in than the clarity.

I'm thinking the girl will always appreciate a bigger carat of 2 vs. a smaller diamond and a better cut diamond...?

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Re: 2 carat, good cut, D color, I1/SI3, for $9400 - Good Val

Most PS people won't settle for less that "very good" cut grade.

Most here will say "eye-clean," which I1 isn't.

Only EGL has an "SI3" clarity grade, to identify the better I1 stones. Everyone here will say that EGL is lenient by 2-3 color grades, 1-2 clarity grades, and their "good" grade might be pretty awful.

Why does it have to be 2ct? Anything 7mm diameter or up is bigger than average. The average e-ring diamond recently on PS is probably .8ct or so. A smaller ideal stone or VG stone is what I'd prefer to a 2ct I1 that only got a good cut grade.

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock

Hi OP, hmmm ...this is an interesting post. I'll play because I recently did a search for 2 ct J/Si2 and entry level price is mid $11k with the broad distinction of GIA XXX. If you want H&A level cut with those specs, then add $3-4K. For example, James Allen has a 2 ct true hearts J/Si2 for $14.7, however, JA is loose on the superior cut. And that diamond may not be eye clean for your tastes.

For the stone you are looking at, we would need more info. and reflector images (idealscope, maybe aset, etc) However, Good cut? Most people here are wary of GIA XXX since the term is given so broadly. I'd say pass. Do not sacrifice cut, it's what makes a diamond sparkle. Finding a top cut with J/Si1/2 eye clean would be a great find for your stated budget. What about a 1.8 ct 60/60 stone that has the spread of a 2 ct (looks like a 2 ct but isn't and you can save $$)?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Short answer no not a good value.

Size is irrelevant I'd it doesn't sparkle and looks like a wd of cloudy spit.

Cut is what makes a diamond sparkle. Sparkle is why you want a diamond.

Clarity matters bit only to a point. You don't want to see the inclusions. I suspect with the grading it has its probably not eye clean.

Color is subjective. You do NOT need a d. Get as white as you can in your budget. I'd drop to a k

Look around PS and learn a bit before making your purchase.

But honestly with your budget this I think is the best you will do. (That setting alone is 3 k retail)
http://loupetroop.com/listings/rings-natural-diamond-center/reduced-~-1-dot-73-oec-transitional-k-si1-in-leon-mege-pave

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yeah. No Way. It's EGL. And

If you want to buy that dead, included hunk of carbon that is going to, in no way, be a D and will not sparkle you are sadly misinformed. Fortunately, you were smart enough to have come on here!

I'm thinking we can get you a nice 1.6ish J color with good numbers for performance for your budget and you'd be a LOT better off.

Your budget is 14k for US. 13k to be safe with taxes, unless you are somewhere near the US border and we can have you drive over to the US and pick up the ring.

phale

Shiny_Rock
my I1 diamond has inclusions that are off to the side. They are completely covered by prongs. Does vendor provide return period? I'd buy several to compare and see which cut, color, clarity, size combo works best for you.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO, all color/clarity combinations are an equal "value" because supply and demand sets the prices of all of them.

For example, if a certain combination, say H/I VS2/SI1, is in very high demand you can be assured the price will reflects this.
Same with an T I2, a D IF, or a D I1.

Good value means it's priced lower than what is customary for that grade combination.
And it's not only about the grades.
Even used diamonds sold at pawn shops are priced what they customarily are.
This means the exact same diamond sold 'new' and retail at Tiffany on 5th Ave in Manhattan or sold used at a pawn shop in Detroit for 1/20th the price are an equal value.

The only good values are diamonds you happen upon where the seller does is ignorant of the value for the venue.
This is a rare occurrence.

That said I'd never want a D I1.
I'd never pay for D color if I'd settle for I1 clarity.

For a similar price range I'd be much more comfortable with closer grades like G VS2.

I'd go for a D only with a clarity of VS or above.
I'd go for I1 clarity with around J or below.

Also many things affect the price besides weight, color and clarity.
The more you learn about this other stuff the better.

johnjohnjohn2014

Rough_Rock
Thanks, I think this is starting to make sense. I think I need to go to a minimum SI2 and drop the color down to a I/J. Then I have to absorb the cost to move it up to very good at the minimum and see where I end up in cost.

I took a look at some diamonds today and essentially after looking at some good I2's, it was easy to spot the inclusions and the cloudy dullness of them. But only after looking at it for a while and comparing it to a better cut.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
johnjohnjohn2014|1405389792|3713390 said:
Thanks, I think this is starting to make sense. I think I need to go to a minimum SI2 and drop the color down to a I/J. Then I have to absorb the cost to move it up to very good at the minimum and see where I end up in cost.

I took a look at some diamonds today and essentially after looking at some good I2's, it was easy to spot the inclusions and the cloudy dullness of them. But only after looking at it for a while and comparing it to a better cut.
You looked at it for what 5 minutes? She'll be looking at it for 10 years at LEAST.

everybody wants a huge rock. Buts a matter of getting the best quality for your budget. If its going to be dull and lifeless, get her a 10 ct cz. If you want something beautiful and full of life. Just make some slight concessions and get something beautiful :)

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
If you are soliciting honest opinions, I would be very very sad if my fiance brought me a I1 diamond. Unless your fiance has specifically given you instructions to buy her a huge, not pretty diamond...don't. It won't be eye-clean, it may look good in a store under the spot lights (yes, the special lights in the jewelry make it sparkle more than normal) but in real life, it will always look dirty beside a better diamond. There are other options. You can get a very nice 2nd hand stone and set it in a new setting. You can also get an antique that is BEAUTIFUL and have it set for her. Save money and get that 2ct with a great quality diamond

You could find an old cut for a little less too, if you want size and quality on a budget. Here's a beauty http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/1-ct-to-2-00/1-72ct-old-european-cut-diamond-ags-k-vs2.html

Here's a 2ct for less than the I1
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/2-01-to-3-00/2-04ct-old-europen-cut-diamond.html (this one has a warmer color)

johnjohnjohn2014|1405389792|3713390 said:

EmmaRadley

Rough_Rock
I'm thinking the girl will always appreciate a bigger carat of 2 vs. a smaller diamond and a better cut diamond...?

I would take better cut over size any day. What's the point of a diamond that doesn't sparkle? I would also sacrifice colour for eye clean. Size isn't everything!

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Re. I1: There are some that might be acceptable, and others that would not be. I own an I1, and I have a not totally eyeclean SI2, and also some higher clarity stones. I don't mind seeing an inclusion that is small and takes some close study to find. There are not many eyeclean SI2, actually, and remember that the larger the diamond, the larger the inclusion is allowed to be. The grade-setting inclusion(s) of a 2ct I1 will be larger than inclusions in a 1ct stone. So as you go up in size, you might also have to go up in clarity to SI1 to get it eyeclean enough.

Define *your* standard for eyeclean enough, and be sure to ask the vendor to look at the stone from side and tilt, etc. to make sure it meets your personal requirements for clean. But sometimes Si2 is literally half the price of the same caliber of stone except VS1 or VS2, so that's why I decided that clarity and eyeclean were the least important aspects to me. I'd rather have cut, size, and color, and compromise on clarity.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The entire purpose of faceting a diamond is to reflect light.
How well or how poorly a diamond does this determines how beautiful it is.
How well a diamond performs is determined by the angles and cutting. This is why we say cut is king.
No other factor: not color, not clarity has as much of an impact on the appearance of a diamond as its cut. An ideal H will out white a poorly cut F. And GIA Ex is not enough. And NOTHING other than GIA or AGS is worth your time. EGL is a very nice way to cheat yourself. It's a poor value: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/egl-certification-are-any-of-them-ok.142863/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/egl-certification-are-any-of-them-ok.142863/[/URL]
So how to we ensure that we have the right angles and cutting to get the light performance we want?
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-cut
Well one method is to start with a GIA Ex, and then apply the HCA to it. YOU DO NOT USE HCA for AGS0 stones.
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/holloway-cut-advisor
The HCA is a rejection tool. Not a selection tool. It uses 4 data points to make a rudimentary call on how the diamond may perform. It's only goal is to weed out stones that have angles that do not normally result in ideal light performance.
If the diamond passes then you know that you are in the right zone in terms of angles for light performance. Under 2 is a pass. Under 2.5-2.1 is a maybe. 2.6 and over is a no. No score 2 and under is better than any other.
Is that enough? Not really.
So what you need is a way to check actual light performance of your actual stone.
That's what an idealscope image does. https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/firescope-idealscope
It shows you how and wear your diamond is reflecting light, how well it is going at it, and where you are losing light return. That is why you won't see us recommending Blue Nile, as they do not provide idealscope images for their diamonds. James Allen, BGD, GOG, ERD, HPD and WF do.

The Idealscope is the 'selection tool'. Not the HCA. The HCA is just used narrow and predict which stones will have a good idealscope image.
So yes, with a GIA stone you need the idealscope images. Or you can buy an idealscope yourself and take it in to the jeweler you are working with to check the stones yourself. Or if you have a good return policy (full refund minimum 7 days) then you can buy the idealscope, buy the stone, and do it at home.

Now if you want to skip all that... stick to AGS0 stones and then all you have to do is pick color and clarity and you know you have a great performing diamond. Because AGS has already done the checking for you. That's why they trade at a premium.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
johnjohnjohn2014|1405378113|3713274 said:
I'm getting a 2 carat round diamond, good cut, D color, I1, for CAD$9400? This is pre-tax and without band.

I'm going to have to make some sacrifices for a 2 carat ring. I figure I could go down in color and maybe move up in cut or clarity but its probably a big jump in cost.

2) If I was sacrificing the color from D to lower like a J, where should I improve, cut or clarity? I'm assuming cut will be way more expensive to improve in than the clarity.

:knockout: :knockout: :knockout: :knockout: :knockout:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Essentials for me:

1) GIA Excellent cut (and I'd choose one of the better stones in that category)...do not compromise on this one.

2) color....I can go to I color to get greater size, but I'd prefer G-H. J is still nice in excellent cut stones if you need to boost size.

3) clarity...I only get VS+ for myself, but I recommend down to SI1 for others who aren't clarity sensitive. I think finding great SI2's is not so easy and I'd want a 100% eyeclean stone. I1 would never be a consideration for me for an engagement ring.

Now, a good way to save some money is to find a stone with strong fluorescence, but in that case you don't want low clarity because it might cause the stone to appear more hazy in some lighting such as sunlight.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
A 2 carat diamond faces up at around 8mm. JA has a number of nice options for you. ou would put THREE on hold and ask for an idealscope image of them. JA limits you to 3 Idealscope images per purchase. Here are the best of them :

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.80-carat-j-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-321591 Lovely J SI1. 1.8 carats. 7.8mm (just slightly shy of 8mm) and medium fluorescence to help whiten the appearance of the stone. If the stone is eyeclean and not overblue, it's a BEAUTIFUL option for you. $ 11,540

If that one doesn't work: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.80-carat-j-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-327529 $11,900 ask if eyeclean.

AGS0 J VS2: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.75-carat-j-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-330174

A 60/60 stone that faces up at 7.8mm as well: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.73-carat-j-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-349015

If you want 2 carats, if this one is eyeclean, it's a possibility: http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-5088547-2.01-carat-Round-diamond-K-color-VS2-Clarity.aspx?sku=5088547&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

johnjohnjohn2014

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the links.

Jeweler called me to say he has moved away from GIA and now uses Gemscan, because GIA is inconsistent because they have so many offices now over the last 5 years in India.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
johnjohnjohn2014|1405445995|3713734 said:
Thanks for the links.

Jeweler called me to say he has moved away from GIA and now uses Gemscan, because GIA is inconsistent because they have so many offices now over the last 5 years in India.
Gia is the most reputable diamond grading lab . He sounds like a crook . :liar:

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the links.

Run, Forrest, RUN!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1!

Sack him off and buy yourself using the excellent help given on this amazing forum :) :sun:

Bailey_Lou

Shiny_Rock
Andelain|1405399674|3713468 said:

^ +1

I would never want a badly cut diamond, no matter how big it is.

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Niel|1405438597|3713656 said:
http://www.ritani.com/diamonds/round-diamond-2-03-Carat-K-color-AGSL-certified/D-MM2VQP
AGS 0, good clarity. In budget and lovely if she's open to a rose or yellow gold solitaire.
I like this stone that Neil posted. It's in your budget and is cut beautifully, with nice clarity. :appl:

RayNay111

Rough_Rock
Bailey_Lou|1405450662|3713800 said:
Andelain|1405399674|3713468 said:

^ +1

I would never want a badly cut diamond, no matter how big it is.

^ +2 to this. I was lucky enough to find this site and lurk for a good 6 months before looking for my stone. My friends/colleagues have rings in similar sizes (and a few slightly bigger) but always comment on how sparkly and "large" my stone is because it is an excellent cut. Honestly, I'd rather have a 1.5 or even 1.25 excellent cut to a 2ct lifeless stone. Maybe consider a vendor with a lifetime upgrade policy such that she can have something a bit bigger for an anniversary.... Also, the preloved ring with the Leon setting posted posted earlier would be a great choice.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the links.

He's lying.

Plain and simple. If that was his reason for dumping GIA he would NEVER carry EGL. EGL is terrible at consistency.

GIA and AGS diamond sell for a premium. EGL sells at a HUGE discount. WHY? Reliability.

Plain and simple this a vendor you should run away from. Not even, walk. RUN.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Ha ha, ha ha, ha ha, NO.
Keep him away from your pockets.

Thanks for the links.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results