shape
carat
color
clarity

2+ carat diamond comparison on 3.5 ring size

Shannon72781

Shiny_Rock
Hello all,
I’ve been monitoring the virtual inventory and trying to decide on which size diamond to get for an upgrade. I went to Tiffany’s to try on rings to get an idea of which size stone to get for a 3.5 size ring: 2 ct, 2.25 ct or 2.5 ct

I’ve attached pictures of all 3 individually as well as together. The collage is smallest to largest from Left to Right.

Would love your thoughts on this! All diamonds I tried on were I VVS2 btw D6BFEB92-2CCC-4756-AEAD-9EF9D45B0A96.jpeg

Attachments

• AA1E343E-1664-48FE-932A-0BE899E34C74.jpeg
    AA1E343E-1664-48FE-932A-0BE899E34C74.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 213
  • FCF43D8C-DC28-46C1-ACFD-43BBE988A82A.jpeg
    FCF43D8C-DC28-46C1-ACFD-43BBE988A82A.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 265
  • 9E7B8614-22CD-4FE0-856F-9FFBFBFA1A06.jpeg
    9E7B8614-22CD-4FE0-856F-9FFBFBFA1A06.jpeg
    248.4 KB · Views: 264

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are all beautiful of course and your opinion is the one that matters the most. Because of your slender finger, I would probably say the 2.25 looks most proportioned on your finger.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I likewise have a 3.5 finger and a Tiffany style setting. My stone is 2.57ct. I am also 5'5" so it feels proportioned to my hight. I would not mind going bigger I but love my ring too much to part with it. Go with the one that makes your heart skip the beat.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that they all look very nice. I think I agree that the 2.25 looks best on your finger. You don't mention your lifestyle or what is typical in your social circle for diamonds and that could also impact my response.

Shannon72781

Shiny_Rock
I think that they all look very nice. I think I agree that the 2.25 looks best on your finger. You don't mention your lifestyle or what is typical in your social circle for diamonds and that could also impact my response.

Good questions! I have an office based job and have a 3 year old daughter. I wear my rings to work and take them off when I get home.
My social circle does not have any rings larger than 1.5 cts. My current ring is 1.2 ct (avatar). I do however live in greater NYC area and 2 ct+ rings are not at all uncommon.

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
I personally like the 2.25 in your finger but, honestly, they are all beautiful!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I think you consider on the smaller side of your range and go higher on color than I.

Shannon72781

Shiny_Rock
I think you consider on the smaller side of your range and go higher on color than I.

Yes I went to Tiffany’s to try on for size comparison. My desired specs are color F-G (would consider H but my current diamond is a G and was hoping to stay equivalent). Clarity preference is VS2. VS1 feels like overkill and an eye clean SI1 on a larger diamond would bother me :)

Shannon72781

Shiny_Rock
I think these are my contenders, which are between 2.15-2.5. I’m truly leaning towards 2.25 to 2.35 as the sweet spot that may look best on my finger.

Desired specs are F, G potentially H. VS1-VS2 clarity. Budget less than 45k (slight wiggle room and note that BGD is running promotions of 10% off and upwards for BF so these would make my budget).
My current ring is 1.2 G SI1 WF ES.

My setting could be made by either vendor. Classic Tiffany inspired 6 prong in yellow gold with platinum head. I prefer diamond and setting at same vendor

Which of these would you choose as far as best performer? I hate being this indecisive!! Thank you all!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Well everyone has their preferences but i would much prefer an eye clean SI1 and higher color than I over VS2 and the I color. You are going way up in size and color will be more apparent.
With that said, however…
You didn’t mention previously you were open to other vendors… I thought you were definitely getting at Tiffany.
I think everyone on this forum will tell you super ideal vendor like BGD or Whiteflash over Tiffany every time.
So now that you’ve opened the door on that, these are great options!!!
You are not being indecisive… you are doing your due diligence on a very important and $$$$$$ purchase!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Off the top I would not get the H.

And you said 2.35 top of size range so that would eliminate the 2.5 (altho that F with the Med bl Fl would be amazingly “white” colorless, so insane!).

I like a 55 table so the 2.22 would be romancing me but also I see no tint.

The 2.386 definitely shows a tint to me so I would eliminate that one for sure.

The 2.28 also shows tint just not as obvious as 2.386.

The 2.356 appears very colorless. Unless you are partial to a 55 table as I am, this is your stone!

I took screen shots of the stones to do side by side comparisons.

You should ask WF to do a photo of the stones together that you are considering - this is really important!!!

Every stone you’ve listed will be amazing performers so that isn’t a concern.

Also you said these are all in your pricepoint so you are good on that.

And you wanted nothing lower than VS2 so all good there.

Then to me it comes down to the size and not just color GRADE, but color APPEARANCE. Grades have a range and graders are human. Now YOU are the APPEARANCE color diamond grader!

I’ve given you my input on which show tint. I’ve also pointed out table size in case that matters to you but I get the feeling not and that’s the smallest one and you seem to really be pushing for larger although I think it plenty large on your finger.

This forum is always pushing for larger, larger, larger but quite honestly larger is not always better and often truthfully looks a bit ridiculous IMO. What is your stature?… are you tall/petite, thin/not so thin? You want the stone to be in proportion and already your finger is tiny! Personally I think the 2 carat was the right proportion for your finger but you want larger. The 2.25 already looked a bit too large in my opinion so I don’t think you should go any higher so I say go for the 2.22 which appears to not show tint and that 55 table will be such a pretty profile and face up view.

Do you know the table size of your current stone? Sometimes when you get something other than you are used to you may or may not be happy if it is different. Just want to cover all bases.

If you want larger than the 2.22 then no question it is the 2.356 but I think too large for your finger. I’m sorry to go against the bigger is better train here.

But let’s get into more precise spread: Carat weight doesn’t give the whole picture… you really need to compare measurements to measurements. Do you have the for the 2 Tiffany stones so we can compare those mm sizes to these contenders? Also, if you can ask your sales associate at Tiffany for the table size that would also be interesting info to add to helping address everything so no stone haha left unturned.

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
I almost bought the 2.28 G, VS2! I, ultimately, chose another ACA… I think I would have been very happy with this as well. Michelle said it’s a gorgeous diamond, high G color and the clouds have no impact on performance. She said it was eye clean to her on close inspection from the side as well. I inquired about the 2.38 G, but she said the inclusions under the table would bother me ( I just don’t want to see any inclusions!). Not sure how apparent they are, but she felt, for me, it wouldn’t work. I know I enquired about a lot of diamonds, I just can’t seem to locate my emails. Def get some side by sides from Whiteflash.

ETA: Color and clarity are very important to me. I am very happy I went a bit smaller to have a whiter stone. Make sure you are ok with the drop in color, if that’s what you do…

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you got some great info! As far as color goes.. It depends on the color of that particular H..I would stick to a G because I wouldn’t want to see a tint. I can’t see a tint in a G unless I put it next to an F. Even then I may not see it. I can see tint in an H..If it’s a yellow tint..it would be a hard no for me. If it’s a creamy ivory tint then a big yes. You have to ask the people at Whiteflash to compare them for you..They are very honest. As far as size..Your finger is so little..They all look huge to me. I’m jealous! :lol:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote here for the 2.28 G!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Shannon72781 if you are seriously considering any of these diamonds, I would contact Whiteflash now about putting them on hold. People lurk around PS all the time and sometimes snatch up diamonds that have been discussed.

Shannon72781

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all so much for weighing in and offering sage advice and opinions.

@MissGotRocks I already reached out to Michelle and asked for a hold on the 2.28.ct. Thanks for looking out :)

@MamaBear you posted a video previously which is really helpful comparing the 2.38 and 2.28. I don’t see the tint in it but I already have a G. I requested additional videos from Michelle.

@MamaBee I also can’t see a G tint which is why almost all my diamonds are G (I have WF ACA 2 tcw earrings in a H and can’t tell cause they’re in my ears).

@headlight - wow thank you for such insights and a detailed response. I tend to agree with you that bigger isn’t necessarily the best on my finger and I did think 2.25 is plenty large!! I’m 5’3” on the smaller size so all things considered for proportions, it’s an important factor.
For best value and size, I think the 2.28 is a great option. I considered that VS1 may be more money I’d like to spend on something I can’t see.

Stay tuned…;)2

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all so much for weighing in and offering sage advice and opinions.

@MissGotRocks I already reached out to Michelle and asked for a hold on the 2.28.ct. Thanks for looking out :)

@MamaBear you posted a video previously which is really helpful comparing the 2.38 and 2.28. I don’t see the tint in it but I already have a G. I requested additional videos from Michelle.

@MamaBee I also can’t see a G tint which is why almost all my diamonds are G (I have WF ACA 2 tcw earrings in a H and can’t tell cause they’re in my ears).

@headlight - wow thank you for such insights and a detailed response. I tend to agree with you that bigger isn’t necessarily the best on my finger and I did think 2.25 is plenty large!! I’m 5’3” on the smaller size so all things considered for proportions, it’s an important factor.
For best value and size, I think the 2.28 is a great option. I considered that VS1 may be more money I’d like to spend on something I can’t see.

Stay tuned…;)2

Great - so glad you put it on hold! It looks like a beautiful diamond!

Shannon72781

Shiny_Rock
I do believe it’s what I’m looking for … yes! :kiss2:

It’s been purchased and I’ll do a SMTB post once received! Hoping it gets here by Christmas to have on vacation with me. I am setting it in the Vatché 18kt gold with platinum setting and rounded tab prongs.

Just FYI for others - Vatche will only use the platinum alloy of 95% platinum and 5% iridium. I requested the harder alloy however they are only casting with this mix.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s been purchased and I’ll do a SMTB post once received! Hoping it gets here by Christmas to have on vacation with me. I am setting it in the Vatché 18kt gold with platinum setting and rounded tab prongs.

Just FYI for others - Vatche will only use the platinum alloy of 95% platinum and 5% iridium. I requested the harder alloy however they are only casting with this mix.

That is exciting! Hope you get it by Christmas - can’t wait to see it!!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I was late to this! whoops! Congrats! hope you get it in time for Christmas!

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
How exciting! I’m so glad you got that stone, I think it’s going to be amazing on you!

Meghan

Rough_Rock
I am late as you already ordered. But my finger size is 5.5 and I just recently upgraded to a 2.26 and feel it’s plenty big for me!! It’s beautiful congrats!!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results