shape
carat
color
clarity

2.8 ct violet/blue spinel in 18K rose gold LOGR

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First of all, let me apologize for all the recent threads lately. I''ve been bad and on a shopping spree so I hope everyone is not entirely sick of me yet.
emembarrassed.gif

I had an 18K rose gold LOGR with upgraded VS full cuts. My malaya garnet was in that setting, and to tell you the truth, I felt the stone faded into the setting and didn''t pop. I now realize that stone probably needs yellow gold. In any case, I just bought this 2.8 ct spinel, and it has a very nice native cut on it. It''s medium light in tone, but deepens in the setting. I was thinking, rose gold? Nah, but then I saw this fabulous Leon rose gold ring with a greyish blue diamond, and fell in love. I then ran to the jewelers and took out the Malaya and made this bigger fatter stone fit. I have to credit LOGR with good quality since my jeweler was able to reuse the rose gold prongs, and rose gold is brittle and difficult to work with. I also credit my jeweler for making it fit.

This is the Leon that was my inspriation first. BTW, it''s for sale on Leon''s site if anyone is interested. Pink and blue diamonds - yum!
3.gif

rosegoldbluestone2.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I'm not comparing my ring at all to the fabulous and very expensive Leon above, but I do like the combination of metal and stone colors. Here's my spinel. Natural diffused white light on a cloudy day.

TL28spinelrosegold3.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From further away so you can see the subtle difference between my 14K rose gold LOGR and this one in 18K RG. I know this color combination isn't for everyone, but for those that were interested in setting such a color in Rose gold, here you are!!

TL28spinelrosegold22.JPG

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, that''s very pretty! What a unique combination.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
very pretty and I
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
that Leon setting!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Love your new ring and the spinel in it. Where did you get the spinel?

I would love to wear that Leon ring BTW.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
TL, I love it! I love your style, and that you''re not afraid to think out of the box. I am sure you are responsible for sparking ideas all over the colored stone board (you certainly do for me!).

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooooooo
30.gif
I like it! The stone and setting really do compliment each other!

I haven''t done rose gold but I''m reserving that for when I get a ammy that I want to set. Have to admit I''m a little scared of how that''s going to look on my hand though.

-A

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very interesting combo and certainly unique. If would be awesome if those were pink diamonds too, but alas, since we all have a beer budget, I think it’s still pretty nice. You’ve got me thinking and toying with the idea of rose gold for my remaining blue cobalt.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know what I can see? The blue from the spinel appears to be reflecting in the diamonds and so they look pale blue - cool! Is that just a trick of the camera or is that happening?

Out of curiosity, does the rose gold make the blue of the spinel stand out more rather than the violet hues it has?

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
The ring is lovely & the color combination is really striking.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila-thank you!

Bella-thank you, and I love that Leon too!!

Innerkitten- Thank you!! I got the spinel from one of my trusted ebay vendors since I'm very attracted to that color, and I can't get it from a lapidary since it sells in a nanosecond after it's put up. LOL! It contains negative crystal inclusions, so I know it's natural. BTW, who wouldn't love to wear that Leon ring?
30.gif

IndyLady - awww, that's one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me on PS. Thank you so much, you are too kind.

Arcadian-Thank you!! If you can wear that purple nail polish, I think you can pull of a little rose gold!!
2.gif
9.gif

Chrono - Thank you!! Yeah, I would LOVE if they were pink diamonds, and I would be thrilled beyond belief if that was a blue diamond. Oh well, just a spinel and plain white melee for me. I'm glad you're considering RG for your cobalt.

LD - the interior of my car (where the photographs were taken) is grey, so I'm not sure if the spinel is reflecting on the diamonds or the grey interior is making them look that way. To answer your second question, I think the rose gold does make the blue stand out more. Since I had a similar color spinel set in white gold recently, I think the rose gold is more complimentary. I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks as purple tonight when there is no sunlight and pure incandescent lighting. The color shifts, I forgot to note that.

Vigoruby-Thank you!

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Your new ring looks great, TL! I actualy like it better than the Leon, which is too OTT for me.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that is great that you used the Leon as an inpiration piece. I just love pink and violet/blue hues together!! ...and for what it is worth... we love your buying sprees!!!! Just lovely! That spinel has the prettiest periwinkle color to it which is my favorite color!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
Great color combo! I appreciate you posting so much and giving us insight into your design decisions -- it really helps for inspiration (especially forsomeone as indecisive as I am!)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see some blue reflecting in the top of the diamonds in the ring here, but not at the bottom (right hand picture), and the photo on the left has some intesting pink in there. Photo on the right taken in my car, and photo on the left taken in my house. Natural diffused light.

TLspinel_reflections.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kay-thank you!! I''m not sure I agree with you, but I''ll take that compliment!!
2.gif
9.gif

CCN-Thank you!! I think periwinkle is the perfect way to describe the color. I appreciate that.

Enbcfsobe-Thank you. Well, I think we''re all here to inspire each other. I know I''ve been inspired by all the wonderful pieces people have brought in pictures to PS.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
It''s beautiful! I love your rose and yellow gold settings. Honestly, I prefer those against my skin. I know that WG and plat are trendy and sturdy and all, but I am beginning to want to wear what looks better on me rather than what pleases other people.

So I am loving your rings.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, it''s not a Leon, but it''s a darn good beer budget inspiration! Plus you aren''t in the poorhouse wearing it, always a plus!

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
wow, what a striking ring! And I see we both stalk Leon''s new creations! :)

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your spinel, it''s a beautiful color!

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
The colour of the stone and the rose gold look great. Nice setting too.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Miraclesrule-Thank you!! I love all the metal colors, I wish I had a piece in green gold too!!

TravelingGal-Thanks! Next to that million dollar ring, um, let''s say I''m glad this one didn''t force me to rob a bank!! LOL!

Winternight-Thank you! I enjoy looking at Leon''s pictures, it''s true!

Catmom-Thank you!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s a picture in a combination of natural and incandescent lighting. This is my favorite lighting for this spinel. Goes very "tanzanite" like in appearance.

TLvioletspinelhaloincan.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On a white background.

TLvioletspinelwhite.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In pure incandesent light, it shifts to purple. Sorry for the fuzzy pics. I still am focus-challenged with the camera. The diamonds in the ring are very clean, white and sparkley, but the camera makes them look like frozen spit.
emcrook.gif
Well, thank you for looking.
35.gif
The spinel is definitely reflecting off of the diamonds in this picture!!

TLvioletspinelincan.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Same incandescent pic above, but from further away.

TLspinelfurtheraway.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The spinel looks so much nicer after it is set; must be the setting or your unset stone photography skill.
25.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/15/2010 10:14:12 PM
Author: Chrono
The spinel looks so much nicer after it is set; must be the setting or your unset stone photography skill.
25.gif
I think because I photgraph stones in gem cases (ugh) or on a flat surface where I can''t do much about my head shadow, but I know what you mean. I think my pictures come out much better when the ring is on my hand and steady.

BTW, my jeweler is wonderful, and I should mention them since I''m always blabbing about how I love LOGR. If any of you are in the Chicagoland area, you should try them for setting stones. Both their benchman, who rotate from store to store, are great, and have set even soft stones. They also have a very expensive laser machine for difficult and damaged prongs. They are a class operation with a wonderful and friendly staff. I remember when the owner started out on Jeweler''s row on Wabash in Chicago!!

http://www.merryrichards.com/

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I would never have thought that combo would look good, but gosh, your spinel really pops in that setting. I went back and looked at your Malaya, and I think you''re right - the rose gold just didn''t do much for it, and I much prefer the spinel.

I''d forgotten you use Merry Richards - my DH bought my first e-ring from them when they were on Wabash - I still have the receipt! He had a very favorable impression of them at the time, so it''s nice to hear they are continuing to do good work.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results