shape
carat
color
clarity

2.8 ct emerald cut reset

GoldenGateGirl

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I recently received a beautiful family heirloom emerald cut ring.
4902F03E-4FD7-4482-A62E-F60DBE8483CA.jpeg
I brought it to my jeweler to get an appraisal because I was curious. I had no intention to re-set it.

The diamond had no inscription of certificate, so the jeweler sent it to the GIA. It’s 2.79 ct, J, vvs1. He said that he thinks it’s on the cusp of an I. The bad news is that he thinks that the prongs aren’t great and the stone could fall out if he put it back into the original setting.

I have a few ideas of what to do with the stone. The first is a necklace with it set East west. Something like this but with white gold for the prongs and basket and yellow gold for the chain:
E671AA08-22B0-4362-A805-88E19F0E7C7E.jpeg
The next idea is to retain a lot of the original character but modernize it with a split shank halo ring, similar to the one below. I’d reuse all of the small diamonds. I might even see if the tiny baguettes can be in the “hidden” part of the setting. They are a bit small and out of proportion to the center stone imho.
94D86C60-1107-4514-BE63-603140B45794.jpeg
Option 3 is a simple ring with the diamond set East West. White gold for the prongs and basket yellow for the band:
C9E3E253-377A-4B52-8F16-A2C759AC18B9.jpeg
The necklace was my first instinct. I’m less excited about it now than I was two weeks ago for some reason though.

I’m so in love with the halo idea at the moment. Emerald cuts on halos used to not be my favorite but with the split shank, I like it more since it doesn’t looks like a long stone with a halo hanging my a thread. I also love how it retains a lot of the original character of the ring. The disadvantage is that I don’t know when I’d wear it. I have a 2ct round pave solitaire for my upgraded engagement ring and wearing two rings of this size on opposite hands might be too much. Maybe I could wear the emerald cut one once in a while if I get bored of the round, lol. Is that weird?

The third option is a design that I love now but might not love in 5-10 years. However, it’s more understated and I might be able to get away with wearing it as an index or middle finger ring on my right hand and still wear my wedding set. Or is it still too much? I love the stacks in the picture! I could probably even get the baguettes made into a ring like the index finger ring in the picture and use the small rounds on a pave band.

Sorry, this is a super long post. Is love to get your opinion.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Solitaire with side baguettes is what I would do but of course it’s such a personal decision. For me, I feel like the east west setting is trendy and not sure it will stand the test of time. Again that is just me.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I would definitely do a ring and not a necklace. It’s such a beautiful piece it deserves to be admired!

I love the idea of repurposing the ring into the three rings the way you thought! I find the halo and split shank a little busy imo but the EW solitaire and the two bands sound perfect.

mrsctobe

Shiny_Rock
I actually really like the idea of necklace, it looks like it would be crystal clear and eye catching set like that.. I'm someone who only wears 1 ring on each hand also.

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Solitaire with side baguettes is what I would do but of course it’s such a personal decision. For me, I feel like the east west setting is trendy and not sure it will stand the test of time. Again that is just me.
Agree with this, on all points. Solitaire with side baguettes is a timeless classic.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right now, I'd do the E/W if putting it in a fairly simple setting. It will be less like your current ER and you aren't sure you want two rings that are similar. If you do the simple E/W setting, regardless if it "stands the test of time" it will not be an expensive reset so in 5-10-15 etc years, you won't be taking it out of an expensive reset (and perhaps feeling bad about it) to reset it again. Also, if you like the stacking idea, the E/W setting might be more conducive to that (assuming you let the jeweler know you want room under the basket to stack).

For me, I wouldn't do the E/W set necklace. It's pretty but I think the stone will shine more in a ring...just my opinion.

GoldenGateGirl

Rough_Rock
I actually really like the idea of necklace, it looks like it would be crystal clear and eye catching set like that.. I'm someone who only wears 1 ring on each hand also.

Right now, I'd do the E/W if putting it in a fairly simple setting. It will be less like your current ER and you aren't sure you want two rings that are similar. If you do the simple E/W setting, regardless if it "stands the test of time" it will not be an expensive reset so in 5-10-15 etc years, you won't be taking it out of an expensive reset (and perhaps feeling bad about it) to reset it again. Also, if you like the stacking idea, the E/W setting might be more conducive to that (assuming you let the jeweler know you want room under the basket to stack).

For me, I wouldn't do the E/W set necklace. It's pretty but I think the stone will shine more in a ring...just my opinion.

Good point about easily being able to reset the EW if I get tired of it

GoldenGateGirl

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for the advice everyone! I’m leaning toward the solitaire plus stacking rings option and less toward the halo, although I saw this one on brilliant earth and love it.
4207B542-578F-4330-B6B4-AF12A67AE009.png
I think I’m pretty much set on a ring rather than necklace at this point.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I know this is more ornate that what you are looking for but I wanted to post this ring and the ring guard as inspo for you.

Ring is very elegant on it’s own:

With the Deco style ring guard, it’s next level…

You could do something similar with a more streamlined guard :)

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much for the advice everyone! I’m leaning toward the solitaire plus stacking rings option and less toward the halo, although I saw this one on brilliant earth and love it.
4207B542-578F-4330-B6B4-AF12A67AE009.png
I think I’m pretty much set on a ring rather than necklace at this point.

I would not buy from Brilliant Earth. If your jeweler thinks it will fit a stock mounting and it should probably, look at the Stuller catalogue, or Gabriel and Co, or other lines they have. Brilliant Earth is not known for good service or necessarily quality products. The other brands mentioned may not be flashy, but they have a consistent product.

GoldenGateGirl

Rough_Rock
I know this is more ornate that what you are looking for but I wanted to post this ring and the ring guard as inspo for you.

Ring is very elegant on it’s own:

With the Deco style ring guard, it’s next level…

You could do something similar with a more streamlined guard :)

That’s very pretty, thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results