shape
carat
color
clarity

2.53 ct Round Brilliant Solitaire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MrNyceGuy

Rough_Rock
Alright, so I've been scouring these boards for the last month or two, reading all of your posts and quietly learning from you all. First of all, let me say thank you for all of the information, opinions and helpful attitude that you've all exhibited. Without this website I certainly would not have been able to make such an informed decision on my purchase.

That being said, I'm thinking of proposing to my girlfriend in the next few months, once I figure out the best, most unique, way to propose. But at this point I'm about to pull the trigger on a diamond and setting. One step at a time I tell myself. So, I'm looking at a 2.53ct Round Brilliant I, SI1, ideal cut solitaire in either the SuperbCert Tiffany replica setting or the MM Sunburst setting. From some of the pictures posted of other forum members who have both of these they look awesome.

Ok now to my question..... My girlfriend said that she is not too fond of the knife's edge whether it's the way it looks or feels, I don't know. This being the case, could I get these rounded off so that they're more "round" than "knife's edge"? Has anyone on the board done something like this before? I'm not so much concerned with having a "replica" as far as the SC Tiffany goes but more so that it's exactly how my girl wants it. Also, what about the width? Is a 3mm band sufficiently wide for a 2.53 ct round stone? My girlfriend likes the band to be a bit on the thick side rather than slim, but I tend to think that the slimmer bands make the rock look bigger.

Also, what about these two settings with respect to being able to sit a weding band flush up against them without gaps? It looks to me like the MM Sunburst might have more of a gap between itself and the band than the SC Tiffany would. Any thoughts, recommendations?

Any and all thoughts are appreciated. Thanks again for all of your continued help and knowledge.

-MrNyceGuy .....Can't reveal my name in case the woman is reading this post ;-)

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
If she doesn''t like knife-edge, then I''d stick to picking a non-knife edge setting. Tampering with a knife-edge band by trying to round it afterward could pose structure/durability issues, and there''s nothing to say it would look right altered.

There are plenty of folks who can replicate that style head on a non-knife edge band.

The 3mm shank shouldn''t be a problem.

As for sitting flush, it really depends on what you envision for a wedding band. A plain comfort-fit band will fit fairly well with most rings; bands with stones or raised profile may not fit as flush. If you''re going with the MWM flame, I''d suggest having him make a fitted band for it at the same time.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
If she doesn''t want knife edge, don''t get it for her. Can you probe her at all to see what kind of styles she likes, or are you sure that she wants a plain tiffany style solitaire?

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I''ve never seen a bad looking Mark Morrell ring. I don''t think you can go wrong there!

louisvgirl

Shiny_Rock
I have changed my mind again going from a 3-stone ring, princess with trillions, to a solitaire. We''re looking into a 1.75-2.0. Smaller than your 2.53. I''m sure it will be gorgeous!! Well I personally don''t like that knife edge either. I think that Tiffany stlye solitaire band, because it is so simple and classic, will make your stone really pop. It''s like someone said, if you want someone to look at the ring,,,go for the setting,,,,if you want the stone to really pop, then go with the stone. Trust me your stone will definitely POP.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Sunburst does not have a knife edge (I think the Flame does, though). That is probably the best one to go with if you prefer a rounded shank. Of course, Leon Mege makes a very beautiful classic solitaire setting that has a round shank, too. It costs a little less than the MM, too. But go with the regular Sunburst if you don't want the super thin band. I think 3mm is fine...thin but not too thin.

MrNyceGuy

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of your input. I''ll let you know what I decide! =)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results