shape
carat
color
clarity

$2,500 jadeite peace. Need your advice on making it masculine.

Adam95

Shiny_Rock
Hi pricescope, thanks to comments by qubitasaurus and prs on my last thread, I've narrowed down a final peace of jadeite that I'm interested in. qubitasaurus pointed out that it was the only one with a transparent texture that's close to "imperial jade." The color is really lovely and its this lovely deep emerald green but when the light hits it it goes full transparent and glowy. I was also worried about the Hong Kong lab since Im only familiar with AGL, GIA, etc. but Peter (prs) informed me that this Hong Kong lab is good and after researching it, it looks like this is the go to for Sothebys and bonhams and Philips the like.

coregems feedback looks good, but if any of you have personally dealt with them please share!

the final piece i liked:

1611916941815.png 1611916961200.png
1611916974985.png 1611916985418.png

I msged the vendor (Mo) and he told me that he buys the jade in burma and carves in China so his prices are lower. I've read about the importance of a good return window and coregems gives a 60 day window with full money back and he'll cover return shipping. His lowest is $2,500 which seems reasonable comparing the other things I've seen. My only issue/concern preventing me from pulling the trigger is that the piece looks very feminine. I'm a man and usually wear chunky pieces or more simple boxier carvings.

I can go with a leaf but I'm having trouble envisioning how to make it a masculine peace. like should I set it in a chunky white gold with a nice rope chain? It looks too big for a ring. You guys know a lot about settings so please advise! if you have something else in this range that's more masculine but as good quality please share!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
The leaf design is usually used for pendants (bigger pieces) or earrings for ladies.

Men’s rings I’ve seen tend to use blockier jadeite pieces, or saddle rings or cabochon in more plain setting. Design examples:

So personally I wouldn’t recommend a leaf carving to a man.

Also the piece is only 2 mm thick? It’s very thin and you need to be comfortable with that.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, I do not really think a leaf carving particularly feminine— to me, the design is unisex. I do think however, that it is a little small, and that will add to a delicate look compared to a chunky pendant. You could wear it on a leather cord, which would make it more masculine.

To me, as I came from your first thread where you were looking for a monkey carving, I wonder if this is what you really want? Or would you be happier researching carvers and shops and possibly customizing a jade carving from a piece of rough. (Of course, you could do both if budget allows!)

Some cute monkey designs carved by Churkworkshop on Etsy:

https://etsy.me/3pwoGAT

https://etsy.me/3cmiHef

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm, the main stone itself may suit as a gent's ring on its own, with a simple Gypsy setting or a micro diamond halo, either East-West or North-South, the latter would probably be better due to the asymmetrical shape of the leaf itself.

I would use the top stone in another ring, again, in a similar setting.

DK :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2 mm thickness won't survive in a ring.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the leaf shape could lend itself to an arrowhead shaped pendant which I think is a pretty common shape/theme in masculine pendants.

D0EDCDA8-91AB-4D7E-9A85-56287B39C7F4.jpeg

Adam95

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for the advice everyone, but based on

ChaiK's advice on my original post and recommendations on this post suggesting it is not masculine enough, I have decided to pass. If anyone sees similar quality jade with a more masculine carving, please send it my way!​

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results