shape
carat
color
clarity

2.5 on HCA?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aislingmaire

Rough_Rock
I am looking at a AGS000 with h+a symmetry. I plugged the numbers in and it scored a 2.5 on the HCA? Is this a dud? I get to see it at the appraisers friday. I am a little concerned because I don''t have enough money to send every stone on my list to the appraiser. I don''t want to waste time or money. However, because it is a K in color it has a nice pricetag. It also has SB flourescence so I am not so worried about the color. If I get it, I will hopefully set it with these rubies:

aislingmaire

Rough_Rock
Why can't I post a pic? Oh well, maybe later.
Jackie S

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
A 2.5 score does not mean a dud at all. Now if it was a 5 or similar, then I'd worry. Possibilities could be that this AGS000 is not a true H&A, maybe it could qualify very loosely to someone's eyes but it may be off a little and maybe that is what the #'s are showing. Also AGS000 really doesn't mean anything as the scope is quite broad for the 0 range. As you have probably read on here, people often find an AGS000 that is slightly too deep or shallow or the proportions just don't fit together in the best way. If it is not a true H&A, you may want to be sure you are not paying a steep H&A markup for a sloppy stone.

Do you have an H&A viewer? Does the appraiser? See if you can view the stone through it. Also see if they have an IdealScope so you can view light return. If the stone looks good to you, don't worry about the HCA score so much. My stone when we bought it scored a 1.5 on the HCA and now due to adjustments that have recently been made twice to the HCA, its something like a 2.8. Boo! But my stone still looks the same as it did when HCA gave it a 1.4. Funny huh!?
2.gif
Trust your eyes when you see the stone..you may really love it. If you feel as though it may be a lower grade H&A, try to negotiate some $$ off if it makes you feel better about the transaction.

Good luck!
1.gif

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
Dont worry about it,
Some of the very best H&A,s score around 2.5 especially those with a depth of around 61.5%
Wayne
Melbourne Diamond Exchange Ltd

okaynow

Rough_Rock
My spread on the HCA received "Very Good". The other scores received Excellent. How does "spread" affect light return? Is it only a score for the visual maximization of carat size? How big of affect does spread have on the HCA score? My HCA score was 1.2, I wonder what it would have been if the spread was excellent.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results