shape
carat
color
clarity

2.5 carat and prices?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

seeker

Rough_Rock
I am looking to buy a pair 0f 2.5 carat round earrings. I have some idea about the clarity and the color I want.
Range of color- e-h
Clarity - VS1
Is princess cut going to be more expensive than a normal cut ?
Where do i look to get the best price in Illiois ?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
You could drop to a lower clarity to get the best price since no one will get so close to see an SI1.

you can search with your color clarity selection and see what an online price would be and then see how close your local retailers can get. Expect to pay a bit more because they have over heads.

Consider buying one of my $25 ideal-scopes to ensure the cut is as good as it can be.
www.ideal-scope.com

geo10000

Rough_Rock
As previously mentioned, you can drop the clarity a bit for earrings as no one is going to be that close to see the difference. A ring, in example, is different in that the wearer is always looking at it and notices it a lot more.

Earrings should have good or better cut symmetry and good color since these factors are a bit more apparent from a distance rather than clarity (when talking VS verses SI).:))

seeker

Rough_Rock
Thanks for replying. I think that is good advice. I have just one more questions on the cut.
Should I go for a brilliant cut or a princess cut ?:tongue:

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
round brilliant :p

It can be alot tougher finding a finely cut "pair" of princess cuts than a pair of rounds and even the best princess cuts still don't have the same light return as a round.

Peace,
Rhino

bingbongbug

Rough_Rock
Just had to pipe in on cut choice for your earrings.

Round brilliant will absolutely have more light return and therefore more sparkle.

But as a princess-cut lover, I have to say that -in my opinion-, princess cut earrings look classier. Also, when you're talking about a large size as you are, large round earrings have a tendency to look potentially fake when wearing, just because of their size and the common usage of CZ's in rounds.

If you're looking just for the most sparkle for the buck, a round is the way to go. But, if you like princesses better, it's not wrong to go that way instead. I personally love princesses and would love to have a pair of princess earrings in the size you're looking for!!!

seeker

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for all the advice. Really do appreciate it.
I think I will go down on the inclusion bit and probably go for clarity . The round brilliant sounds good as well. I am getting a pair at $ 16, 000 does that round reasonable ?

Any ideas about a ring ? about 3 carats

seeker

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for all the advice. Really do appreciate it.
I think I will go down on the inclusion bit and probably go for clarity . The round brilliant sounds good as well. I am getting a pair at $ 16, 000 does that round reasonable ?

Any ideas about a ring ? about 3 carats

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Greetings seeker,

It's hard to give a value opinion if we don't know the specs involved. Before you plunk down 16k you may want to get some professional advice. If you share as much data as you can about the stones with at least a lab report and Sarin data we can at least give you some kind of feedback. Demand that info before you lay out the $$$.

Hope to be of help.

Rhino

barry

Shiny_Rock
Princess Cuts when done right are real eye-poppers!

First consult Dave Atlas' excellent charts on princess
cuts ( gemappraisers.com) to get you started on the
general parameters of what constitutes finely-cut princess.

Be aware, however, that there is greater variability in
fancies and princess because of their architecture and more
difficult to prevent light from leaking out of the stone.
Two princess' with the same exact specs can look totally different. You'll need more than a sarin or megaScope
report. First, see if your vendor or Jeweler can or will
provide you with a BrillianceScope Report
(www.gemex.com) indicating the amount of light coming out of the stone. I would strongly recommend you visit several
of your neighborhood jewelers and "LOOK" at princess.
Get an idea of how the 'specs' compare to what you 'see'
Build your base of knowledge and it'll make your decision easier and more rewarding.

Best of Luck!

Barry
www.superbcert.com
"When Good Isn't Good Enough" :wavey:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results