shape
carat
color
clarity

2.45 J VS2 RB on hold - Input Welcome!!!

dmd4ever

Shiny_Rock
Hello Pricescopers,
I've posted a few times before a while back as I was ER shopping but plans got put on hold and now I'm ready to go. My gf would like to be surprised, but I know that she values "size and sparkle" most of all, and she definitely gravitates toward the round brilliants, which I'd like to set in a custom platinum solitaire setting with pave on the band and some type of star design incorporated in the basket. I'd like to spend between $20-25k on the diamond itself, but am more comfortable on the low end of that scale, especially because the custom setting could be expensive (likely going with Leon Mege in NY). This one jumped out at me because it seems to have fantastic cut (James Aleen TrueHearts, AGS000, and 1.8 HCA), VS2 clarity (just need eye-clean), and a lot more size than I had planned at almost 2 and half carats. I have two reservations: 1) The color. I've seen some beautiful white J stones on this forum, but I've also seen some pictures and some stones in person that seem too yellow for my liking. I know this is so subjective, but if anyone wants to chime in anyway, I'm taking any advice you've got, especially about how the setting may impact the color. 2) The inclusion. I know it's VS2, but the inclusion is black and right in the middle of the stone... Any thoughts? Or if anyone has any suggestions, I'm open to that as well. I had been looking at 2 carat H SI1 stones, but I'm hoping the color compromise will be worth the size bump :)

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1307908.asp

dmd4ever

Shiny_Rock
Forgot to mention price as the stone is now on hold for 24 hours... It would be $20,280 with the PS discount :) :) :)

And while you need to click the link to get the image, the idealscope, etc., here are the basics:

James Allen TrueHearts 2.458 carats RB
8.65 x 8.69 x 5.37 mm
AGS000 cut
HCA 1.8 EX
VS2 clarity
J color
Table: 54.8%
Depth: 62%
Crown: 35.1
Pavilion: 40.8
Girdle: Thin to Medium
Flour: Negligible

AnneinGA

Shiny_Rock
For me, I would rather have a smaller ct. weight than a black inclusion in the middle. Without knowing if your GF has an eagle-eye or not, her looking at that stone could have her only seeing that inclusion.

What about one like this? It's BGD "blue" - same color with fluor might appear better color, and an SI1 - you'd have to find out from him if it's eyeclean to your standards or not, but the plot shows a cloud - could be white.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=BLAGS-104051364025

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you ask JA about the inclusion? I would be a little concerned with it if it can be easily seen. Did they say the stone was eye clean?

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I am no expert here but as a very color-sensitive gal, I would say stick with H or above. I was also looking at your older posts and saw you posted this: "On a different note, I went to the HOF dealer today (purely to compare color in ideal cut stones) and got to see three stones, approx 1.5-1.6 carats each, all either VS2 or SI1, in a G, I, and J color. Maybe I'm more sensitive than I thought to color, but the I and J just looked yellow to me, even face up The G was fine, even if not as "crisp" as a D, it still looked white/clear to me. I'm wondering if an H would work, but they didn't have one there." If your gf is as color sensitive as you, then I don't think a J color would be a good choice. If an Heart On Fire cut stone in I and J did not please you, then I think these colors might appear too yellow to you.

I have a G colored round brilliant ring and an H colored round brilliant pendant, both ideal cuts. I think the H sometimes look borderline white to me (not CRISP white so on a bad bad day I am not super happy with it :lol: ). My G definitely looks white to me and I"m perfectly happy with it. But it really comes down to what you prefer. A lot of ppl are happy with I and J colored stones. Just remember what's important to you (size or color; color or clarity...). Prioritizing is important to stay in budget!

dmd4ever

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the quick feedback so far!

The James Allen rep said I shouldn't be able to see the inclusion, but I'm nervous about it. On the other hand, I've always read that VS2 and up inclusions shouldn't be visible to the naked eye??? Any other thoughts?

As for color, my previous post is correct in terms of my color sensitivity, but my girlfriend seems less sensitive. I don't know that she's seen a J color stone like this, but she did see a 2 carat H color (EGL graded) stone and could not see any difference between that and an F color. Not sure that makes this one work or not, but she definitely doesn't seem nearly as sensitive to it as I am (and clearly stated that size and sparkle trump!). And she's all that matters ;-)

That BGD Blue diamond is actually one I've been looking at as well :) Maybe I should call about it as well, but the flouresence makes me nervous only because I don't know how she'd feel about it...

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
For me, I'm pretty sure that the black inclusion smack-dab in the middle of the stone would drive me nuts. Otherwise, it's a lovely stone. The location, and darkness, of that inclusion would make it a no-go for me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like a really pretty stone - hearts/IS are fine. A J of that size is going to show some tint unless you are particularly insensitive to colour.

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I like the BGD Blue stone that Diamondseeker posted as well. Medium blue fluorescence shouldn't be a concern. Brian hand-picks his stones so if anything it should help the diamond to appear whiter.

I don't see any inclusions. The inclusion placement looks better than one you posted.

asymons412

Shiny_Rock
A second vote for the BGD (Brian Gavin)! You won't regret buying from him; I love his Blue collection! He hand picks those stones to guarantee that the fluorescence won't interfere with performance.

Edit: oops, you already said that, OC girl! I'm a little BGD-crazy I suppose. :Up_to_something:

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
asymons412|1306186409|2928529 said:
A second vote for the BGD (Brian Gavin)! You won't regret buying from him; I love his Blue collection! He hand picks those stones to guarantee that the fluorescence won't interfere with performance.

Edit: oops, you already said that, OC girl! I'm a little BGD-crazy I suppose. :Up_to_something:

Yea me too :lol: I have a Brian Gavin Blue and I am totally BLOWN AWAY by the cut and the brilliance. It's total yumminess I tell ya :lickout:

dmd4ever

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the alternate suggestions! Seems like most of you are saying J might be too much of a compromise here, although I'm feeling a lot of love for the BGD Blue stone even though it's a J.... Maybe I'll take my gf to look at a J stone to see if it would be an issue for her. As for the inclusion, I understand everyone who's worried about it, but I guess I'm wondering why AGS would rate it a VS2 if it's not eye-clean??? For reference, I have seen very few GIA/AGS SI1 stones that I would not take...

Edit: Just realized some of those were for the I color BGD Blue... What I'd really like to do is figure out a way to stick with something closer to 2.5 carats. Otherwise I'll prob go back to looking at H SI1 2 carats...

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I had a WF AGS 000 Vs2 that had an inclusion dead center. Two gemologists suggested it was an S11 but AGS graded it Vs2. I could not see the inclusion without a loop--so technically it was eye clean. But the stone was a 1/4 of the size you are considering and I wasn't wearing it on my finger (rings tend to get "inspected" more often more closely).

JA has a respectable return policy. Get the stone and if you cannot live with the inclusion or color, return it for something that leaves you with NO doubts.

cheers--Sharon

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1306188649|2928568 said:
JA has a respectable return policy. Get the stone and if you cannot live with the inclusion or color, return it for something that leaves you with NO doubts.

cheers--Sharon

Ditto this. It is worth seeing in person in my opinion. JA jas a 60 day no hassel return policy, and THEY pay the return shipping. So there is no risk and you might love the stone.

I would probably not hae issue with J color in that size, but would not set it with pave to minimize the contrast between the senter stone and melee. I don't like my own J with melee size stones too near it, nor does Yssie. But if your girl likes size, this may be the perfect rock for her. You will get a much smaller stone if you want a higher color, for that money.

dmd4ever

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone! This has been very helpful. As a result of all the comments about the color, I found a local jeweler with a couple of approx. 2.25 carat GIA stones in J and G colors for comparison sake. Granted, neither was an "ideal" cut, but I think that the J is likely too yellow... I know my gf wants some pave on the setting, and I think maybe my zeal for the big size was clouding my judgment about the color, so thanks for the reality check ;-) Combined with the inclusion issue, I think I'll keep hunting. Not in a huge hurry, so I have time to find the right stone.

Lots of people here seem to love the BGD Blue collection. What about this stone? http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=BLAGS-104049675003 I'm back to a "smaller" rock, but 2 carats still seems big to me, and I know she would still be happy at that size. Are these stones as closesly vetted as the "Signature" collection on his site? And will the flouresence help much in the H color diamond? Any other reason to pick a stone from this set?

Thanks again!!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dmd4ever|1306199954|2928711 said:
Thanks everyone! This has been very helpful. As a result of all the comments about the color, I found a local jeweler with a couple of approx. 2.25 carat GIA stones in J and G colors for comparison sake. Granted, neither was an "ideal" cut, but I think that the J is likely too yellow... I know my gf wants some pave on the setting, and I think maybe my zeal for the big size was clouding my judgment about the color, so thanks for the reality check ;-) Combined with the inclusion issue, I think I'll keep hunting. Not in a huge hurry, so I have time to find the right stone.

Lots of people here seem to love the BGD Blue collection. What about this stone? http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=BLAGS-104049675003 I'm back to a "smaller" rock, but 2 carats still seems big to me, and I know she would still be happy at that size. Are these stones as closesly vetted as the "Signature" collection on his site? And will the flouresence help much in the H color diamond? Any other reason to pick a stone from this set?

Thanks again!!!

HI:

You've found a sweet spot in color and clarity for many PS'es here! But as J could be a "preference" or "deal breaker" in terms of color, so may be the flouro. I am glad you have lots of time to search for the right stone--and don't mind others opinions! :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that last stone posted would be an excellent size compromise to the other one you posted. One black inclusion can indeed garner a VS rating but if I couldn't see it, I would constantly be looking for it. That's just aggravation you don't need to pay for!

I think she would be over the moon with this size stone and it looks gorgeous!

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
dmd4ever|1306199954|2928711 said:

Looks nice. H SI1 with blue fluorescence would have been my pick if it was available in my size range when I was shopping. When I chose my Blue Brian said that he handpicks each Blue just as he does with his Signatures. Whether the fluorescence helps or not really depends on how much UV there is in the environment and your own preferences on color. For example the Blue for my fiancée stays white in CA sunlight, but turns blue in FL sunlight. My fiancée absolutely loves it when it turns blue, but it's too bad she lives in CA.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My stone is H color, so I am obviously fine with the color! But I'd want the clarity to be eyeclean from top AND sides! I do not like to see inclusions. Brian's stones are gorgeous, though, and I wouldn't hesitate for a second to get one from the Blue collection!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like H color, I like the value in the BGD blues, I trust Brian's selections.

Just throwing this out there -- you do not *need* an H&A to have a very well cut stone. Something to consider as you might get more size or other features you want for your money if you look for AGS0 non0H&A stones.

dmd4ever

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I should have mentioned that H&A is not essential as far as I'm concerned. Just want the best performance. I also saw a stone at the local jeweler today that was an eye-clean GIA 2.27 G SI1 for $23k, but its cert was old and didn't have a cut rating. It looked pretty good, although not h&a. I asked the store if they could get the other angles, etc., but they said the only way to do that was to resubmit the stone (it came in on trade) to GIA and that it would take a few weeks... I've heard nothing but good stuff about BGD though and I even spoke with them about the 2.5 J stone. I think I'll have to call back about the H. Having seen another J in person today, I think I'm personally probably best looking at H or higher. Crazy how much the color bumps the price at this carat size!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dmd4ever|1306210296|2928857 said:
Yes, I should have mentioned that H&A is not essential as far as I'm concerned. Just want the best performance. I also saw a stone at the local jeweler today that was an eye-clean GIA 2.27 G SI1 for $23k, but its cert was old and didn't have a cut rating. It looked pretty good, although not h&a. I asked the store if they could get the other angles, etc., but they said the only way to do that was to resubmit the stone (it came in on trade) to GIA and that it would take a few weeks... I've heard nothing but good stuff about BGD though and I even spoke with them about the 2.5 J stone. I think I'll have to call back about the H. Having seen another J in person today, I think I'm personally probably best looking at H or higher. Crazy how much the color bumps the price at this carat size!
or get a scan from a sarin machine.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would not buy the stone you mention with the old cert, I want a cut estimate and I would want to ensure there was no damage to the stone that would change its clarity grade. The price is not that hot anyways to make it worth it. You could ask for the sale to be contingent on a GIA report coming back with the same grade. Most diamonds are not well cut, so the odds are that diamond is not either. What was the depth and table? That would be a start to judging its cut.

Here are some non H&A options:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2564443.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2400041.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2372479.htm

has your GF seen a larger J color stone? She may like the size and not mind the slight tint ;))

dmd4ever

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Dreamer. I'm not sure that she has seen one, but a couple of factors have helped sway me back to the G-H range. First, I plan to have a custom star shape of some sort integrated into the basket and thus I think that she's gonna end up looking through the side of the stone more than she would otherwise. And second, she really wants pave on the band and probably some sort of eternity wedding band, and I'm concerned about the contrast between the smaller melee diamonds and the J center.

Thanks for your H suggestions! I'm looking at them now, but I'm actually really interested in the BGD Blue I linked to above. I just put it on reserve and am going to post a new topic to see if anyone else might chime in about it as it's kind of buried here. Everyone seems to love these stones and they are disappearing fast... The 2.5 J that I linked to above just disappeared, and a 2.25 that I was looking at a couple of days ago is gone as well. In any case, I like the 2 carat BGB Blue because it is H&A (a bonus) and because I'm really warming up to the whole flouresence thing :)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
dmd4ever|1306255883|2929184 said:
Thanks, Dreamer. I'm not sure that she has seen one, but a couple of factors have helped sway me back to the G-H range. First, I plan to have a custom star shape of some sort integrated into the basket and thus I think that she's gonna end up looking through the side of the stone more than she would otherwise. And second, she really wants pave on the band and probably some sort of eternity wedding band, and I'm concerned about the contrast between the smaller melee diamonds and the J center.

Thanks for your H suggestions! I'm looking at them now, but I'm actually really interested in the BGD Blue I linked to above. I just put it on reserve and am going to post a new topic to see if anyone else might chime in about it as it's kind of buried here. Everyone seems to love these stones and they are disappearing fast... The 2.5 J that I linked to above just disappeared, and a 2.25 that I was looking at a couple of days ago is gone as well. In any case, I like the 2 carat BGB Blue because it is H&A (a bonus) and because I'm really warming up to the whole flouresence thing :)

I think it is an excellent selection, and as a side issue, BGD does VERY nice custom work on their settings, so you can easily have your mount made by them too.

The stone from BGD is also only medium flour, so it is unlikely to be apparent in most lighting environments, so a very good value with little downside. Good choice I think!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dmd4ever|1306255883|2929184 said:

BGD blue is not H&A - different line. Would be beautiful anyway though, I have no doubts there.

Sounds like you've found a happy compromise :sun:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results