shape
carat
color
clarity

#TBT 2.41ctw J I1 studs from IDJ with SB fluor!

jill_s

Brilliant_Rock
My dream stud size has always been around 2.5ctw. I had been wearing a pair of BGD 1.65ctw studs for a few years, and while I loved the diamonds, I really wished they were bigger (familiar story, right?). They were also K colored stones, and I had decided that AGS K stones were more tinted than I was really happy with. As I was playing around on PS one day, I thought I'd see what kind of cost I'd be looking at to get some studs closer to my ideal parameters - J (with fluor would be a bonus), eye clean, and well cut. I happened upon the first stone and inquired with IDJ about it - it was a 1.19 J I1 with MB fluor and GIA excellent cut. They brought it in, gave it the stamp of approval and then Yekutiel said he would look for a match and call me. The very next day, I got a call saying that he'd found a good match and had sent someone to get the stone. The second stone was a 1.22 J I1 with SB fluor and GIA excellent cut. While I was on the phone with him, the stone arrived and he was able to assess the two diamonds side by side. He said they were a perfect match in specs, both J I1 stones that were mostly eye clean, one with MB fluor and one with SB fluor. Everything happened so fast, and I wanted to make sure I was making the right decision, so I asked Yekutiel if he could hold the stones for me for a couple weeks so I could arrange my finances. He graciously agreed, and I sold my 1.65ctw studs as well as a few other items to raise funds for these studs. I also traded in my 2ctw huggies that I purchased from IDJ last year. I have discovered that I'm really a one staple pair of earrings gal, and I preferred my studs over the huggies (especially studs that were close to my dream size).

The certs are already in the safe deposit box, so I don't have the exact specs on each of the diamonds, but they are both in the 6.8mm range. The cut is fantastic - both scored under 2 on the HCA. I'm pretty pleased with the clarity. My biggest trade-off in getting affordable studs in this size was to go down in clarity. After owning many diamonds, I have decided that of the 4 C's, I am least clarity sensitive. As long as the diamond is eye-cleanish, I'm good to go. While both diamonds are I1s, all inclusions are white and are very hard to see unless you are closely inspecting the stones. Since they're on my ears, I wasn't worried about inclusions, especially since they were white inclusions. The color of the diamonds - J with medium and strong blue fluor is probably my favorite part of these diamonds. These diamonds easily face up like GIA H colored diamonds. I have a GIA I side stone in my three stone ring, and these diamonds appear whiter than that I colored diamond. I have decided that J with SBF is my sweet spot. While I did have to make a little trade-off with the clarity of these diamonds, I'm thrilled with the result. I absolutely LOVE wearing these studs, and I think I'll be happy with them for a long time. While I could always go bigger (3ctw anyone?), these feel very substantial and I don't feel the burning need to keep shopping for something bigger or better.

The settings I chose were 14k white gold four prongs with jumbo backs. After having 3 prong and 6 prong settings, I decided that I prefered the classic look of 4 prongs (I like the symmetry of four prongs). I was planning to get a standard basket setting until Yekutiel suggested I get these instead. He said they were a new setting and that they were more delicate than the standard stock settings. He said he had recently set some diamonds in these settings for Bliss (Bliss - are you out there? If so, post those earrings!), and she loved them. I agreed to try them, and he was right. These are beautiful settings. Yekutiel said the settings were similar to the Tiffany novo setting, but I think these are more beautiful. They sort of remind me of tulips, and IDJ did a fantastic job with the claw prong tips.

All in all, I'm really thrilled with my new studs. The size is great, the clarity trade-off worked out really well since these really are 95% eye clean, and the settings are beautiful and delicate. Without further ado, here are the pics!

img_4046.jpg

img_4070.jpg

jill_s

Brilliant_Rock
Pics of the settings. Sorry they aren't the best macro quality, all pics are from my iphone. My old camera has died and needs replacing.

img_214.jpg

img_4051.jpg

img_4052.jpg

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW!!!!!!! :love:

jill_s

Brilliant_Rock
The best I could get of ear shots for perspective. All these ear shots turned out horribly. Sorry the skin on my hands looks so dry - I didn't want to get lotion on the diamonds!

img_4068.jpg

img_4055.jpg

img_4056.jpg

jill_s

Brilliant_Rock
Pics with my three stone for comparison. My three stone is a 2.4 center (8.6mm) with .58 sides (5.4mm). These studs are 6.8mm each. The purple reflecting in the photo is from my purple phone cover!

img_4077.jpg

img_4076.jpg

jill_s

Brilliant_Rock
Final pic - had to show off the fluor! Strong blue on the left, medium blue on the right. After I purchased these studs, I bought a black light pen from eBay so I could see the fluor. I've had more fun making these stones glow in the dark! If given the choice, I would take a fluorescent stone any day!

img_3973.jpg

D

Deactivated member 42515

I'm always so jealous of these diamond studs threads! Your studs are no exception! They are beautiful! I'm glad you found that awesome sweet spot that sings to you.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
AMAZING. I want them!!!! Congrats!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Glad you got the size you wanted. :appl: They look lovely in your ears!

cheers--Sharon

Mili-Lani

Rough_Rock
Trade
Congrats! We are almost stud twins. I have a pair in the same size range! Post more pics. I love your e-ring too!

jill_s

Brilliant_Rock
Mili-Lani|1350597553|3288151 said:
Congrats! We are almost stud twins. I have a pair in the same size range! Post more pics. I love your e-ring too!

Yes, we are stud twins! I have looked through your stud thread many times. Your I1 stone was part of what convinced me to go with I1s! When Yekutiel looked at these, he said they were borderline SI2s. In fact, as he was looking at them before even looking at the certs, he assumed they were SI2s! I LOVE your studs - do you wear them lots?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW! I love the new IDJ setting design - that's a real winner, IMO! :love: :love: Open, airy yet 4 prongs for safety sounds like a perfect setting choice. And the fluoro!! I love those shots - I agree, I wish all of my stones had it as well.

Re the black light pen - just found it on eBay? Would they be available at a big box store? or do you recall the vendor link? Looks like a fun game to play "make your diamond glow"! :lol:

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
Ohhhh, the lovely :) :)

PugLover

Rough_Rock
Jill these are gorgeous! I've gotta say I loooove wearing your 1.65ct studs but these are amazing... Congrats!

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful earrings. :love:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wowza, these are beautiful. Love the flour. They look very eyeclean too - can't believe they're I1! :appl:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look so beautiful and icy white!! The fluor is so cool. Congrats and enjoy!

Efriede

Shiny_Rock
Wow, what a gorgeos pair! I love love love the settings, too. Absolutely amazing. Congratulations and enjoy your studs many many years. :appl:

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Jill They're FABULOUS!! I've been waiting for this thread :bigsmile:

I'm surprised by how quickly they were able to find a match and vet it! I agree that for earrings clarity is the least important C - they're on your ears, probably a safe guess that if someone gets close enough to actually examine them that's not the priority ::) And good for IDJ for holding them for you!

And the settings are gorgeous :love: the petals are a lovely twist, and I like how they taper inward and really hug the stone - almost martini-esque... they look BIG in your ears, way bigger than mine do, lucky you :cheeky:

I know what you mean re. staples, too. Earrings are my favourite jewellery but now that I have two "staples" I honestly don't want any others!

...I *need* a stone with SBF!! It's such a cool effect IRL :love: :sun:

jill_s

Brilliant_Rock
Enerchi|1350599681|3288174 said:
WOW! I love the new IDJ setting design - that's a real winner, IMO! :love: :love: Open, airy yet 4 prongs for safety sounds like a perfect setting choice. And the fluoro!! I love those shots - I agree, I wish all of my stones had it as well.

Re the black light pen - just found it on eBay? Would they be available at a big box store? or do you recall the vendor link? Looks like a fun game to play "make your diamond glow"! :lol:

Sorry it took a few days for me to respond. Things at home have been busier than usual!

Enerchi, I really love the settings too! They are very light, dainty and beautiful. The fluoro is most definitely my favorite part of these studs. Now I need to find a club with black lights to test them out (although that probably won't happen for a while considering i have a 4 mo old son)! Someday!

Here's the link to the black light pen I purchased. Not sure if they're available at a big box store. It also writes with invisible ink. My 3 yr old daughter loves for me to write her messages with the pen that glow in the dark! Super fun!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Quality-Metal-Invisible-UV-Marker-with-Blacklight-/370610635294?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564a1d821e

jill_s

Brilliant_Rock
PugLover|1350607894|3288273 said:
Jill these are gorgeous! I've gotta say I loooove wearing your 1.65ct studs but these are amazing... Congrats!

PugLover,
I'm so glad you are loving the 1.65ctw studs! They were beautiful studs, and I hope you love them for a long time! Please post pics of them! I'd love to see them on your ears!

jill_s

Brilliant_Rock
Phoenix|1350619495|3288396 said:
Wowza, these are beautiful. Love the flour. They look very eyeclean too - can't believe they're I1! :appl:

Phoenix,

These really are unbelievably eye clean for I1s. I feel like I got really lucky! There's a small white feather and twinning wisps in both stones, but the inclusions are toward the side, so they are hard to find and mostly covered by prongs.

I have stalked your studs thread many times. My studs would love to grow up to be like yours someday! You are a lucky lady, and your newest addition - Holly - is breathtaking! Congrats!

jill_s

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie|1350667356|3288655 said:
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Jill They're FABULOUS!! I've been waiting for this thread :bigsmile:

I'm surprised by how quickly they were able to find a match and vet it! I agree that for earrings clarity is the least important C - they're on your ears, probably a safe guess that if someone gets close enough to actually examine them that's not the priority ::) And good for IDJ for holding them for you!

And the settings are gorgeous :love: the petals are a lovely twist, and I like how they taper inward and really hug the stone - almost martini-esque... they look BIG in your ears, way bigger than mine do, lucky you :cheeky:

I know what you mean re. staples, too. Earrings are my favourite jewellery but now that I have two "staples" I honestly don't want any others!

...I *need* a stone with SBF!! It's such a cool effect IRL :love: :sun:

Yssie, glad you saw this thread. I finally got around to posting these since I promised you I would! The settings are very much like martini settings, but prettier. Yekutiel said that these were his favorite new earring settings and that these would be the settings he'd choose for his wife. These are actually cast settings instead of stock, so they are more fluid. I wish my camera was working so I could take better pics. They are prettier than my iPhone camera is reflecting.

I highly recommend SBF stones! I was really shocked by how much the fluoro affects the face up appearance of the diamond. And who doesn't love a diamond that glows under black lights? :cheeky:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jill! Thanks for the UV light link - just bought it from eBay! I 'm excited to receive it --- thanks for posting that info!

jill_s

Brilliant_Rock
YayTacori, Rosebloom, canuk-gal, Mili-Lani, Jereni, JaneSmith, Laila619,, Efriede, lknvrb4 - thanks so much for your sweet responses! So glad you could share in my joy with the new studs!

jill_s

Brilliant_Rock
Enerchi|1350737634|3289030 said:
Jill! Thanks for the UV light link - just bought it from eBay! I 'm excited to receive it --- thanks for posting that info!

Enerchi, you'll have tons of fun playing with it! Do you have some diamonds that have SBF?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gonna find out!!! The newer items are non-fluoro but I don't know about older pieces that I've had for a while, or melee on pieces or the uncert diamonds... I'm hoping I may have a little glow hidden as a surprise! But if not, I'll just write secret love letters instead - LOL!! :lol:

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous earrings! I love the 4 prong setting with the dainty claws. They look fabulous on you, jill. While I'm bummed I couldn't add your huggies to my small collection, that is great IDJ could add them to the trade/purchase.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous studs! I saw those settings in person and they are really pretty! Look terrific in your eras too!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results