shape
carat
color
clarity

2-3ct loose stone help

Roxy411

Rough_Rock
Joined
Dec 28, 2015
Messages
13
Any experts board today and want to find me a diamond? I'm so glad I found this forum but the info I've learned has made finding a diamond even more challenging! I'm looking for a 2-3ct RB stone (range is broad b/c I am ok with 2.2 if measurements are large-ish). Initially I wanted G/VS1 or better but after reading the forum, realize I could do J/SI1 with an amazing cut. Would ideally like to stay below $15K which I know is a stretch. Any lead is helpful. Thanks.
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
33,349
You stated that you want the best cut, but both of those don't have it even though they have GIA's cut grade of so-called "Excellent".
GIA is a top lab for almost everything else except grading cut.
They are too lenient.
Some GIA "Excellent" cuts are not as good as they should be.
Those two are too deep.

There is a simple 2-step bulletproof system for finding the best cut:
1. HCA https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca
2. Idealscope (IS) https://www.pricescope.com/tools/ideal-scope

Plug four numbers from the report into the HCA.
Reject rounds scoring over 2.0. (The diamonds you posted score 2.7 and 3.9.)
Get an IS pic for those scoring under 2.0.
Compare it to this chart:

http://ideal-scope.com/reference-chart-ideal-scope-images/



I think you're going to have to go WAY down in color and clarity to get top cut at that carat weight.
The best cut returns more light which conceals body color but only in the top view.
Top cut does nothing to conceal body color in the view we usually see our diamond, off axis or a side view.

idealscope_8.png
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
33,349
If you simply must have that large of a diamond I'd consider one with LOTS of color like M through S.

Briangavindiamonds cuts some with superb cut.
They sometimes are referred to by the term "Cape".

These have cut that I believe will compete with the best you are going to find anywhere on the planet.
Notice that some have VS and VVS clarity and will be eye-clean.
I just noticed in the video of the VVS2 that they did not clean all the dust off the diamond ... there is no way a VVS2 can look that included.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/signature-diamonds/cape
 

Roxy411

Rough_Rock
Joined
Dec 28, 2015
Messages
13
Thank you, both.

I'd like a stone as white as possible so if I went with an M, would I then want fluorescence?
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
33,349
Roxy411|1451324684|3967375 said:
Thank you, both.

I'd like a stone as white as possible so if I went with an M, would I then want fluorescence?

If the fluor is blue and you are in a light with high ultraviolet content (like sunlight) it will help it look less yellow.

Under any other type of light (like usual indoor light) the fluor is not activated and can not help the diamond look less yellow.

Brian Gavin also has a Top-Cut series called Brian Gavin Blue that have higher blue fluorescence.
 

Roxy411

Rough_Rock
Joined
Dec 28, 2015
Messages
13
Clearly I need all for points to plug into HCA but I am looking at some diamonds on IDJ that do not have certifications and thus do not list the crown and pavilion angles. Is this something a jeweler can provide without a certification? Forgive me, still very much a novice.
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
33,349
Roxy411|1451325074|3967381 said:
Clearly I need all for points to plug into HCA but I am looking at some diamonds on IDJ that do not have certifications and thus do not list the crown and pavilion angles. Is this something a jeweler can provide without a certification? Forgive me, still very much a novice.

Do NOT buy a diamond without a grading report.
You will be deceived and ripped off.

Gem labs, at least the reputable ones like GIA and AGS, are independent.
If they say it is a G VS2 you can believe them.

If the seller claims it is G VS2 you cannot believe them.
The seller knows very well it's not G VS2, if it was (s)he would have sent it to GIA and it would be sold for what a GIA G VS2 sells for.

If it seems too good to be true, it's not.

I would not buy anything from a vendor selling diamonds without reports.
People who want more than what they can afford are preyed on by these kind of vendors.
You'll think you are getting a great deal but you are likely paying MORE and/or getting LESS than you think you are.

Buyer beware.
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
33,349
Roxy411|1451319861|3967333 said:
Any experts board today and want to find me a diamond? I'm so glad I found this forum but the info I've learned has made finding a diamond even more challenging! I'm looking for a 2-3ct RB stone (range is broad b/c I am ok with 2.2 if measurements are large-ish). Initially I wanted G/VS1 or better but after reading the forum, realize I could do J/SI1 with an amazing cut. Would ideally like to stay below $15K which I know is a stretch. Any lead is helpful. Thanks.

About what you wrote, "I am ok with 2.2 if measurements are large-ish".
Be careful here.
A diamond that has extremely good spread (faces up large for its carat weight) will not be well cut.

You are smart to pursue good cut because returning more light makes them seem larger.
Please be more willing to go down in weight, color or clarity, but not in cut quality.

Also FWIW I've been reading PS for over 10 years.
The most common thing I've noticed is zillions of us want more diamond than we can afford ... at all budgets.
So, don't feel bad.

People with a $2000 budget want a $2800 stone, but the people with a $2800 budget want a $3800 stone.
People with a $100,000 budget want a $140,000 stone.
It's a curse. :mrgreen:

Unfortunately much of the diamond-selling industry gets away with taking advantage of this with dishonest practices. :nono:

We're here to help you get the most for your money.
 

Roxy411

Rough_Rock
Joined
Dec 28, 2015
Messages
13
Thanks, Kenny. What you said re: budget is very true. Clearly I can get a stone for that price, but it won't necessarily be a good one.
 

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Apr 10, 2015
Messages
563
2.2 and larger stones gave bigger facets and seem more prone to showing color and even inclusions. Js are just too warm for me at this size when viewing the pavilion or side view. H is about as low as I'd go. Also with SI stones make sure it's not under or near the table as they seem not to be eye clean. Some you can also see when viewing from the side. So my definition of eye clean becomes not visible from 6" away at any angle or view. I was viewing a 2.6ct that had a feather near the table. They said it was eye clean but when tilted you could see it.

At the very least you might want to see a 2.2ct+ size J to see if the color is tolerable to you.
 

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Joined
Nov 24, 2015
Messages
311
kenny|1451324289|3967373 said:
If you simply must have that large of a diamond I'd consider one with LOTS of color like M through S.

Briangavindiamonds cuts some with superb cut.
They sometimes are referred to by the term "Cape".

These have cut that I believe will compete with the best you are going to find anywhere on the planet.
Notice that some have VS and VVS clarity and will be eye-clean.
I just noticed in the video of the VVS2 that they did not clean all the dust off the diamond ... there is no way a VVS2 can look that included.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/signature-diamonds/cape


Hi Roxy411 - - I have to disagree with kenny on this one (sorry kenny :) ) - - if you want a stone that is as white as possible for your budget, you might want to stay away from K- colours. There are some lovely 2ct+ I colour SI1s on the market right now that are GIA EXx3 (and AGS ideal if you care) that you should be able to pick up within your budget (assuming you're looking at USD15k) - you might just have to expand your search.
Also, just so that you're aware, 'cape' is an old trade term that has a lot of subjectivity behind it and is now, in general, frowned upon and not used within the trade because it can be quite confusing as to what the actual colour is...in fact, it's because of misleading terms like 'cape' (and others like 'tinted cape' / 'blue white' / 'top wesselton' / etc) that GIA came up with a colour grade D-Z scale...for consistency and transparency.
Hope this helps
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
33,349
ADN|1451360200|3967686 said:
I have to disagree with kenny on this one (sorry kenny :) )

No problem. :wavey:

If we all agreed PS would be a boring forum. :D
 
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results
Top