shape
carat
color
clarity

2.33 carat g-color vs. 2.50 carat h-color

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beavis123

Rough_Rock
I am purchasing an ideal cut, eyeclean SI1, no-fluorescence 2.5 carat diamond, but I am stuck on the color. I am going to present the diamond in a gold ring, but since it is a surprise, my girl may want to change it to platinum.

I have heard that large stones show color more. I have also heard that an ideal cut will "hide" some of the color.

In my budget of $17,000 to $19,000 I basically have a choice (I'm buying on the net from BlueNile or DirtCheap) between a 2.50 H-color and a 2.33 G-color.

My impression is that color gets worse rapidly from g to j. But, I am unsure whether H-color will look "a bit yellow" or not in this size of stone. What do you experts think?

Many thanks!

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
:wavey: I suggest you go with the g color as it a better color and if she changes her mind and wants to go with platinum you are in the safe zone. besides you probably will not be able to see that much of difference between a 2.50cts. or 2.33cts. with the naked eye.
check out this site buydiamonddirect.com they will give you a free 14k white or gold tiffany style setting for free with your purchase,thus you don't have to worry about changing the (free)ring to platinum if she would want it.

good luck
diamondsman.:))
www.buydiamonddirect.com

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Hi Beavis,

The difference between a G, or an H color would be
very difficult to discern in the, "face up" position.
Perhaps if you tilted the diamond on its side or place
both of them face down on a white piece of paper, side
by side in the right lighting conditions, you may notice a hint of difference, but very subtle.

On the other hand, YES, an ideal cut will help the diamond
look slightly whiter, due to all the white light returned to the viewers eye.

Buy Informed!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
In your case, I would strickly go with the one that is cut better - even within "ideal" range, cuts can vary. Have you compared the MM of the two stones? Also, are both stone GIA certed?Without seeing the two side by side, I don't think you have enough to go on. One will speak to you more.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results