shape
carat
color
clarity

2,300ct Rough Ruby Opinions...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dowser

Rough_Rock
Hello Pricescope! This is my first post here and I would like some
opinions on a big piece of ruby rough I am considering purchasing
at a VERY fair price.

Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3

It is a Tanzanian ruby weighing about 2,300 carats. It is
estimated to be over 95% solid ruby with only a thin portion of
matrix. I understand it is hard to tell whether one should purchase
a specimen by simply looking at a picture, but what do you guys
think? Any input is appreciated.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
External links aren''t allowed so I''m uploading your pictures for you.
What are you planning on doing with it?

211oxtu.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
next

t0l2fm.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
next

a15uzm.jpg

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for showing us the pic. I think what Storm was trying to ask, is whether you were buying it to cut into gems, or something else. I am no means a gem expert and it is hard to tell something from one pic. While it does look like solid ruby, the areas that show clear crystal areas are not large. However it looks like a fantastic specimen, in fact I like specimen pieces that show part of the matrix, which you have on the back. I would really have no idea how much a piece like that would go for.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
If you want to carve a sculpture then its possibly worth considering - but I''d forget about it if you are thinking of gemstones.

The Joker

Shiny_Rock
IMHO, it would make an excellent mineral specimen, and very poor faceting rough for gem stones.
It also looks like someone has already broke it open to check for faceting material.

Joker....

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2008 12:09:19 PM
Author: The Joker
IMHO, it would make an excellent mineral specimen, and very poor faceting rough for gem stones.

It also looks like someone has already broke it open to check for faceting material.

Joker....
That was my thought also which is why I asked what it was intended for.

Dowser

Rough_Rock
I mainly was looking for opinions on whether it was decent faceting material, but apparently it is not. I just got into the gem field and have sent out my first lot of ~1100 carats of Brazilian emerald rough to get cut. What makes this ruby not worthy of faceting and what should I be looking for in my searches for capable rough? I am willing and eager to learn as much as possible.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Facetable rough should have a very clear, see through quality. Not opaque at all. If you go to www.customgemstones.com, you can see Dan's before (rough) and after to get a feel of how facetable rough should look like.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2008 4:41:45 PM
Author: Dowser
I mainly was looking for opinions on whether it was decent faceting material, but apparently it is not. I just got into the gem field and have sent out my first lot of ~1100 carats of Brazilian emerald rough to get cut. What makes this ruby not worthy of faceting and what should I be looking for in my searches for capable rough? I am willing and eager to learn as much as possible.
The odds of you finding facetable ruby rough at a price worth having it cut are close to zero.
You have to know where to look and know someone and even then the best rough will be cut before it is ever offered for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results