shape
carat
color
clarity

2.08 H VVS1 asscher - help strmrdr

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ltjbukem

Rough_Rock
any thoughts on this asscher? is that a bit of blue fluorescence in the lower right?

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VVS1-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1189583.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

it''s an H color. but the picture looks pretty decent, especially when compared to this
H-colored asscher..

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1238769.asp

or compared to this D, to my untrained eye, it looks real close:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/D-VVS1-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1203746.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

strmdr, any thoughts?

thanks,

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ask for an aset image and crown height for the first one.

ltjbukem

Rough_Rock
here''s the ASET image for the 2.08 H vvs1.

1189583 aset.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Below is a great example of why we can not trust color in pics.
The OP posted links to two asschers at the same vendor.
The color of both diamonds is H per GIA, but notice how how the first one looks more yellow.
(I assure you if they were in the same pic they'd look the same color.)

But more significantly, ignore the diamonds and look at the gray tray that the diamond is resting on.
It also has changed color.
Even if it's not the same tray I'll bet both trays are the same color, which corresponds to 18% reflectance, a calibration standard in photography.

Again these two pics are from the same vendor.
It is possible they used the same light and camera setting but one pic was taken right when the light was turned on and the other was taken after the light was on for a while and had warmed up which slightly alters the color.

2.00 H VS1.

ab2.00 H vs1.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2.08 H VVS1.

ab2.08 H VVS.png

ltjbukem

Rough_Rock
trying again...

ke aset.jpg

ltjbukem

Rough_Rock
kenny, great point..i was wondering the same thing - how 2 H''s can look so different..

well anyhow, ASET is included for the 2.08...

hoping someone can opine.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
the aset image looks a bit unreal they have been having some problems with there ASET camera setup.
Ask for an IS image to verify the ASET.

ltjbukem

Rough_Rock
unreal as in it looks TOO good to be true, or it''s just severely messed up?

thanks,

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/12/2009 6:03:03 PM
Author: ltjbukem
unreal as in it looks TOO good to be true, or it's just severely messed up?

thanks,
not enough blue and to much red and to much black to match the real picture so looks to good to be true in some areas and to bad in others.
It is good enough to show that it is very likely a beautiful diamond but in making sure you have correct and true information to decide I would get an IS if possible.
Also need the crown height.

ltjbukem

Rough_Rock
here''s the sarin report for the 2.08 H VVS1

ke sarin.jpg

ltjbukem

Rough_Rock
sarin 2.08 h vvs1

ke Sarin1189583.jpg

ltjbukem

Rough_Rock
here''s the aset for http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VVS2-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1037221.asp

ke202gvvs2.jpg

ltjbukem

Rough_Rock
here''s the sarin for http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VVS2-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1037221.asp

kesarin202gvvs2.jpg

ltjbukem

Rough_Rock
hi, any help from anyone? thanks, karl k

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/14/2009 9:11:12 AM
hi, any help from anyone? thanks, karl k
Karl should be on later if he can, the crown height looks good and it looks like a good asscher but see what Karl says.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
looks good.
Same problem with the ASET as the other one.
You can have JA''s gemologist look at them side by side and make a recommendation.
I think that would be a good next step.
Ask your sales rep to have her do so.

ltjbukem

Rough_Rock
thanks karl k.

which do you prefer the 2.08 H or the 2.02 G?

can you rate cut quality for each on scale of 1 to 10?

thanks again.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/14/2009 12:41:34 PM
thanks karl k.

which do you prefer the 2.08 H or the 2.02 G?

can you rate cut quality for each on scale of 1 to 10?

thanks again.
Since I have joined the trade I cant answer that in those terms.
I can help you interpret the data and point out anything I think you need to know.
They are both worthy of consideration so far.
I would ask JA''s gemologist for an opinion, she has been doing a good job helping make the final selection.

ltjbukem

Rough_Rock
how does this aset and idealscope look on this 2.30 H VS1? depth 68.7 and table 53.

http://www.exceldiamonds.com/Loose_Asscher_Cut_Diamond-164/Loose_Asscher_Cut_2.3_Carat_H_Color_VS1_Clarity_diamond-333290.html

aset excel diamond 230hvs1.jpg

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can they get you the crown height for that?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/14/2009 7:27:34 PM
how does this aset and idealscope look on this 2.30 H VS1? depth 68.7 and table 53.

http://www.exceldiamonds.com/Loose_Asscher_Cut_Diamond-164/Loose_Asscher_Cut_2.3_Carat_H_Color_VS1_Clarity_diamond-333290.html

here is the IS the aset image isn't even close to being from the same diamond as the IS.
The regular pic looks like it belongs to the IS.
Which would mean it has bad p3 angles.
Someone messed up.
Ask them to redo all the images and get the right ones for that diamond and post them if your interested.

230badp3angles.jpg

ltjbukem

Rough_Rock
karl K, thanks for all your help. you are a veritable machine!!

if the 10x pic and the IS are the same, how do the windmills look?

i also figure that if i''m asking for all these images, the dealer probably
can get a good idea that i''m posting for advice on pricescope, no?

would i offend them if i said, hey, you messed up the images. can you repost?

thanks,

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Judah Gutwein

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Karl,

Since you are commenting about our stone and since I know that the photos are both of the exact same diamond, I'd like to ask that you kindly refrain from making blanket statements like this one you made earlier:

"IS and aset image isn't even close to being from the same diamond as the IS"

You are wrong and it is very unfair and improper for you to make such a statement. You more than imply that the customer is being misled at worst and that "somebody messed up" at best.

1. Perhaps the diamond has been rotated in the tray differently in the two images.
2. Perhaps any one of the images shows the diamond slightly tilted which would impact its correlation to the 2nd photo
3. Perhaps the photos can be redone and of course, we have no problem doing so.

However, this is not the first time I have seen such an erroneous, unfair and improper statement from you and I simply ask that you afford us the benefit of the doubt in the future.

I should think that anybody deserves that much from you and especially in your new capacity.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Judah,
If the images do not match I am duty bound to point that out.
The new position does not and will not change that.
I was very clear that I did not think the customer was intentionally being mislead and a simple mistake is the most likely cause.

1: will not cause the p3''s to start return light.
2: is a very slight possibility in which case the advise to skip it is the right one. But requesting new images first to make sure is better wouldn''t you agree?
3: requesting new images was the best and fairest course of action.

Judah Gutwein

Shiny_Rock
Trade
'Course you can express an opinion.

My issue is with your quoted blanket statement indicating that the pictures "cannot be of the same stone"; a far different assertion than a simple encouragement to ask for redone photographs. I didn't fabricate that statement, you did.

I concur; your new status doesn't change your obligation to be careful with your statements, it only enhances it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl, you have to admit your new status as a member of the industry must result in a change in what you feel free to post.

Imagine if the stone in question was from GOG, the vendor that will be selling your diamond design.
Surely you couldn't be as candid.

For that reason people will be watching to see if you are equally as candid, or not, regardless of which vendor offers the stone in question.
Even if you feel you do not have a conflict of interest, there is the appearance of one.

I have the deepest respect for both your technical knowledge and your spirit of helping people zoom in on the best asscher, but your status has changed so these kinds of threads where non-GOG vendors defend their stones may become common.

In fact this may even fall under the PS rule of one vendor not being allowed to comment on the stones of another vendor.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results