shape
carat
color
clarity

2.07 Carats for 8.2K: Conclusion and Pictures!

2 Carats Under 8K: Doable or Bad Idea?

• I thought it was a bad idea to start, and I still think so.

Votes: 29 40.3%
  • Seemed kind of crazy to begin with, but can't argue with results.

Votes: 34 47.2%
  • Yes it's doable! I'll be looking into buying my next diamond this way.

Votes: 9 12.5%

• Total voters

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
First off I'd like to say thank you to the PriceScope community. Many of you have commented and followed my other thread, and I've received a lot of advice, and both encouragement and criticism, but all with the best of intentions.

Recap for those who haven't followed the other thread:
I started out with a goal: find a 2 carat diamond for under 8K. Why 2 carats? Because I talked to my girlfriend about this, and for her, the definition of a "big" diamond was at least 2 carats. Why 8K? Because I wanted to keep the total cost under 10K, and also importantly, I saw some 2 carat diamonds for just under 8K. I think the cheapest was 6 and change.

Turns out, those original diamonds did not meet the approval of the forum members, to put it mildly. So my search continued into the amazing PriceScope price tool. Surprisingly, this wonderful eponymous price comparison tool receives less mention on PS than many vendor sites do. Through this tool, and through the recommendations of another PSer, I found USA Certed Diamonds run by Martin Sheffield. Now, Martin's website is a godsend. Why? Because according to another trade member, Martin literally posts every single diamond on RapNet on his website. So it's essentially a free RapNet subscription, with the prices slightly marked up.

However, I had a problem. Despite several e-mails, web forms, and voicemails, I could not actually reach Martin Sheffield. However, I started noticing that some of the links on his website would go to other websites, including one called Narola Gems. It's on there that I found my perfect diamond. With the help of some other PriceScopers, I found this 2.07 VVS1 L, faint brown diamond: https://segoma.com/v.php?type=view&id=01IQRWVEPP The Idealscope looked like a near hearts and arrows, and my SO liked the video.

Now the problem is that the diamond was in Hong Kong, owned by an Indian company I had never heard of. So I made a couple of phone calls, and got in touch with Yekutiel at IDJ. I gave him an offer: buy me the diamond, and I'll pay you $400 on top of what you pay. He said yes, with the caveat that this was a one off, not covered by their usual warranty, etc. I agreed. It took him a couple of weeks to get the stone, and in the meantime I decided with my SO on a wonderful 3D halo setting from James Allen https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...-edge-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-item-49364 It also helped that James Allen was running a 25% off setting sale at the time. After Yekutiel got the stone, he shipped it to James Allen, and after another excruciating, although expected, 3 week wait, we finally got the ring.

Total cost: $9,707. $8,240 for the diamond. $1,467 (including 100 dollar setting fee + 100 dollar over 7mm fee) for the setting.

Enough essay already. Show us some pictures!

On the window sill:
20171004_081934.jpg

In the shade:
20171007_124255.jpg

In the car:
IMG_20171007_172047.jpg

Full daylight; you can really see the blue fluorescence:
IMG_20171007_180441.jpg

Taken in a underpass:
IMG_20171007_181053.jpg

Full LED lighting from my USB microscope:
S20171007_007.jpg

Much lower LED lighting. Can still see the nice arrows pattern:
S20171007_010.jpg
So is it brown?

Yes, bot that I can tell. Even from the side, it's really hard to tell if any color is coming from the rose gold setting or from the diamond itself.

Would I buy a diamond this way again?

Yes, especially now that I've done it once before. However, I would say that the time investment in learning everything has been very significant.

Could I have bought the diamond for cheaper?

Yes! Easiest thing was that I didn't need a VVS1 by any stretch of the imagination. I could have easily saved 1K or more by finding a VS1/2/SI1. The problem is that well cut L/M VS2/SI1s are, as you can imagine, in high demand, and Narola didn't have a big selection to begin with. After buying the diamond, I got a login to HK, which had a much bigger selection, but unfortunately doesn't use the Segoma/James Allen viewing technology. Even there, it's not easy to find a well cut K/L/M VS2/SI1.

Another way I could have saved a thousand or more is by going with a 1.9 ct stone, but one, most Indian cutters are loathe to cut 1.9s, and two, my SO told me she preferred a 2, just for the mental carats if nothing else.

One other thing I could have done is ordered the diamond directly from India and saved the $400 I paid to IDJ. Now here's the thing: I wasn't comfortable wiring a lot of money overseas to a company I had never heard of. Next time? Maybe. I actually strongly believe that a lot more people will be buying from the likes of Narola and HK in 5-10 years. Their websites are actually great. Instead of having to ask if a stone is eye clean, they'll let you filter by eye clean, by color of inclusion, by hearts and arrows, and a bunch of other things besides. Still, if something goes wrong in shipping or processing, it becomes rather difficult dealing with an overseas company when I'm not in the trade, so I consider the money to IDJ well spent. If a lot of people start buying this route, then maybe IDJ will be willing to do the service for cheaper, and they might even be able to negotiate a small discount from Narola and others like them.

Would I have been willing to pay more for this diamond?

Surprisingly, after knowing what I know now, yes. Based on what I've seen of wholesale prices, I paid a 5% premium on my diamond. The absolute lowest cost PS sellers tack on about a 10% margin on a diamond of similar value. There are others that tack on maybe 15-20%. And then James Allen tacks on 25%, so 2K on my 8K diamond. I'd expect Blue Nile to be around the same as James Allen. So you must be thinking: that seems like a large margin; they must make a lot of money. But the reality is that they don't. Based on how much Blue Nile sold for, I'm guessing they made at most 50 million dollars a year in profit at that time, and to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if the number were closer to 20-30 million. And that's the largest diamond selling website.

Why? Because every thing that we like about the diamond buying experience: the buy back policies, the return policies, the 24/7 customer service, the diamond education and help with selections, the Idealscopes and ASETs, the lifetime warranties, etc. are all large expenses for the retailers. A fantastic buyback/upgrade policy like HPD's could, in my estimation, alone have a value of up to maybe a third of the total cost of the diamond. So for the average consumer, it's absolutely worth it to let the retailers make their limited margin. Now, the nice thing about PriceScope is that there are a lot of consumers here willing to provide the same services for free. :)

I'm sold. How can I start buying a diamond this way?

Well, to quote Sun Tzu: you need to know your enemy and more importantly, know yourself.

First thing to figure out is just exactly where you and your SO's boundaries are in terms of the 4Cs, and the real boundaries, not the ones based on online videos, which can way overexaggerate flaws, and not the ones based on jewelry store lighting, which can make everything look good.

For me, the key was rose gold. Once I knew that rose gold would hide color, I became much more confident searching in the K/L/M territory.

After that, it's about knowing the marketplace. Many people have heard of James Allen and Blue Nile and maybe even some super-ideal retailers, but almost nobody's heard of Narola Gems or HK, or a dozen other Indian cutters and polishers who supply the vast majority of stones people buy. But they're gaining prominence. They're going to the HK Jewelry Fair, and their websites are, like I said, even better for a prosumer than James Allen or Blue Nile.

Conclusion

Thank you everyone for all of your help and advice in this journey. It's been a lot of learning, a lot of fun, and quite frankly a major addiction. I'm probably, after responding to any comments on this thread, going to take a break from diamonds and jewelry, but thanks so much for being such a wonderful and knowledgeable community. Hope I'll get to see some of you in person one day, and let me know if you're in San Jose!

Last edited:

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for the thorough write up, @HDer. The diamond is STUNNING!

It is definitely some food for thought in my own hunt (since I enjoy the "hunt") and figuring out what other options there are other than the tools available on here!

I am curious about the rose gold - do you find it "hides" the K/L/M tint better so it appears whiter - or do you mean it compliments the stone (i.e. warm stone, warm colored ring) better?

Has your girl seen or worn the ring yet? I bet she is wondering when the proposal is gonna happen!

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for the thorough write up, @HDer. The diamond is STUNNING!

It is definitely some food for thought in my own hunt (since I enjoy the "hunt") and figuring out what other options there are other than the tools available on here!

I am curious about the rose gold - do you find it "hides" the K/L/M tint better so it appears whiter - or do you mean it compliments the stone (i.e. warm stone, warm colored ring) better?

Has your girl seen or worn the ring yet? I bet she is wondering when the proposal is gonna happen!

Thank you so much!

To me I would say it literally hides the color. I literally can't tell that the stone has any tint from the top, and neither can anyone I've shown it to. Part of that might be the cut also, but I think it's got something to do with our eyes adjusting to the contrast between the diamond and the rose gold.

Now from the sides, can I see some color? Yes, but to be honest I think what I'm seeing is the color of the rose gold ring itself. So even from the side, the rose gold of the ring "overpowers" the brown tint, if that makes any sense.

As for the proposal, it actually already happened. :) Since the ring took a bit longer to make, I proposed without a ring. But we went to the rose garden and I think she liked it. :)

The only other thing is the ring is a bit big. She's wearing a 5.5 wedding band right now, and the ring is 5.5 (I also checked the diameters and they look the same) but maybe with the extra weight on top and the thinner shank it needs to be tighter. I'm going to have her try a size 5 before sending it back for resizing.

Last edited:

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Now, just because I can't see the color doesn't mean it's not there, and maybe someone color sensitve would be able to tell. Sometimes I will take a picture of it and I'll look at the picture and say "this isn't what I'm seeing with my eyes." But if I can't see it, and she can't see it, and Sal from Joe Escobar Diamonds can't see it, then that's good enough for me.

By the way, Sal was very gracious today. He not only checked the inscription for me free of charge, he later came over and complimented me on the ring. When I told him it was an L stone, he said "sure, but it's in rose gold, so who cares?" And he only cracked a couple of jokes about thanking me for at least trusting them to check the inscription, if not trusting them to buy the diamond or setting from them. :D

Last edited:

Sean_T

Shiny_Rock
Nice pictures. At the end of the day you educated yourself, and made a decision while respecting your SO's opinion.

At the start of my search we were fixated on VVS, DEF, because they were what the sales pitch was at Tiffany and Chaumet. I had simply chosen the cheapest triple GIA EX and posted to this forum as I did not know much else.

It is after the advice I got thanks to PSers that we went to lower end stores, looked at eye clean stones and different colour grades that we realised we don't need to compromise what we can see to get specs that we don't appreciate.

My SO values the time I have put into this, and I appreciate her taking the time to tell me what she likes while being open to changing her perspective. I asked her questions such as "Tiffany and co 0.7ct or no brand 1.2ct" to gradually narrow what she is looking for.

Went off on a tangent. TLDR; You and your SO knows best what suits you both. It was an educated decision.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To me I would say it literally hides the color. I literally can't tell that the stone has any tint from the top, and neither can anyone I've shown it to. Part of that might be the cut also, but I think it's got something to do with our eyes adjusting to the contrast between the diamond and the rose gold.

Now from the sides, can I see some color? Yes, but to be honest I think what I'm seeing is the color of the rose gold ring itself. So even from the side, the rose gold of the ring "overpowers" the brown tint, if that makes any sense.

As for the proposal, it actually already happened. :) Since the ring took a bit longer to make, I proposed without a ring. But we went to the rose garden and I think she liked it. :)

The only other thing is the ring is a bit big. She's wearing a 5.5 wedding band right now, and the ring is 5.5 (I also checked the diameters and they look the same) but maybe with the extra weight on top and the thinner shank it needs to be tighter. I'm going to have her try a size 5 before sending it back for resizing.
Sounds like everyone is thrilled...good work.

A wedding band will likely make the ring more snug. Have her try adding the ring that fits upside down like a wedding band and see how it feels. If good, get some silver bands to stack with it. Sizing pave should be avoided if possible. Down is riskier than up.

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sounds like everyone is thrilled...good work.

A wedding band will likely make the ring more snug. Have her try adding the ring that fits upside down like a wedding band and see how it feels. If good, get some silver bands to stack with it. Sizing pave should be avoided if possible. Down is riskier than up.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm definitely a bit worried about the resizing. She's tried wearing it with her 5.5 wedding band, which fits perfectly (although it's a bit thicker at 2mm) and it's still too loose.

But I've also read some bad reviews about JA on Yelp with regards to botched resizings.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the really interesting write up- it's good to hear stories that go against the grain a bit AND get an amazing result. I love your ring and hope you have many, many years of happiness together!

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Nice pictures. At the end of the day you educated yourself, and made a decision while respecting your SO's opinion.

At the start of my search we were fixated on VVS, DEF, because they were what the sales pitch was at Tiffany and Chaumet. I had simply chosen the cheapest triple GIA EX and posted to this forum as I did not know much else.

It is after the advice I got thanks to PSers that we went to lower end stores, looked at eye clean stones and different colour grades that we realised we don't need to compromise what we can see to get specs that we don't appreciate.

My SO values the time I have put into this, and I appreciate her taking the time to tell me what she likes while being open to changing her perspective. I asked her questions such as "Tiffany and co 0.7ct or no brand 1.2ct" to gradually narrow what she is looking for.

Went off on a tangent. TLDR; You and your SO knows best what suits you both. It was an educated decision.

Absolutely. Nothing beats knowing your own preferences and doing your own research. Glad you found the right diamond for you and thank you!

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the really interesting write up- it's good to hear stories that go against the grain a bit AND get an amazing result. I love your ring and hope you have many, many years of happiness together!

Thank you!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just add sizing beads. Easy peasy. Ring size fluctuate s with temperature, weight change, pregnancy, and certain medications. The beads will stop the spinning. Re resizing bad reviews, maybe true, but people often have unreasonable expectations with resizing.

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@HDer, other than resizing, I would look into putting in sizing beads or bars so that it's a snug fit and doesn't spin around as much. I had a 3 carat in a delicate halo, on a 2mm shank, and even though my ring size was right, it kept spinning to the sides due to the fact that it's top heavy and the shank is thin. That helped keep it centered.

I have enjoyed your little adventure, holding your own against other PSers when you first started and now acquiring all these awesome diamond knowledge in a short span of time. Kudos to you!!!

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congrats on the engagement! Now you KNOW what's coming next...handshots please! ;)2

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks HDer, found this read very helpful and congratulations

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its a lovely ring...you figured out what was acceptable to you and your SO and were able to meet those specs within your budget...cant
argue with that.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! I know we all gave you some heat at the beginning, but respect is due for your patience, civility, thorough research and dedication to getting a result that worked for you. 2ct for under 10k that looks that good? Challenge met!

I think it looks great, I hope you are both very happy with it :)

Oh, and great macro pictures BTW!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your engagement! At the end of the day, the only opinions that really matter are that of you and your fiancée. If you are both happy with the ring, it's a win-win! The diamond looks very nice in the setting you chose. Thanks for the thorough write up; these things are always good learning tools.

I wish you both all the best - enjoy the sparkles!!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Since you are sending it to be worked on anyway, I want to point out that the setter rotated it during setting so that the facets are not symmetrical with the prongs and ring. That would bother me. I would have them redo that. You have some beautiful arrows on that diamond, and it should be set symmetrically.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful. I love the setting and your quest was fascinating to read. Congratulations to the lucky lady! Best wishes for a long and happy life!

:love::love:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I feel like I should break out singing Sinatra.....:lol-2:. You got what you wanted resulting in a great ring! Congrats!

cheers--Sharon

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful result, well done. I agree with the others the ring is top heavy that is why it is spinning, sizing beads will fix the issue and if she gains weight in the future you just take them out.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't answer the poll question because I intend to purchase a lower color stone, in the future, but I want an Old Cut: OEC/ACC. Under $8k? Maybe, maybe not...but it's a wish list item. I aim for 3+cts for that baby, so highly anticipate paying well over $8k for a larger stone. I may get lucky (like you), and find a "unicorn"!
I'm so pleased the ring turned out as beautifully as I anticipated!!
Many blessings for a lifetime of happiness! Don't worry about having it sized; I'm certain that will be an easy fix! As @Tourmaline pointed out, the stone should be rotated, slightly, just to line it up more symmetrically. Once again, doubt that will be difficult.
Can't wait to see hand shots!!! :love:

flash_and_fire

Rough_Rock
Great read and thanks for recapping and sharing your journey! Appreciate reading about the hard work and effort you put into it to see what it was really like. Congratulations on accomplishing what we bling lovers dream about, well-deserved and wishing u2 a lifetime of wedded bliss!

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:appl:
Now, just because I can't see the color doesn't mean it's not there, and maybe someone color sensitve would be able to tell. Sometimes I will take a picture of it and I'll look at the picture and say "this isn't what I'm seeing with my eyes." But if I can't see it, and she can't see it, and Sal from Joe Escobar Diamonds can't see it, then that's good enough for me.

By the way, Sal was very gracious today. He not only checked the inscription for me free of charge, he later came over and complimented me on the ring. When I told him it was an L stone, he said "sure, but it's in rose gold, so who cares?" And he only cracked a couple of jokes about thanking me for at least trusting them to check the inscription, if not trusting them to buy the diamond or setting from them. :D
So glad that Sal at Joe Escobar's was able to help you out. They have a wonderful bench and Have always been accommodating. I also love their estate case....have picked up a few good finds there. Your ring is spectacular! Your fiancée must be over the moon! Congratulations!

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:appl:
So glad that Sal at Joe Escobar's was able to help you out. They have a wonderful bench and Have always been accommodating. I also love their estate case....have picked up a few good finds there. Your ring is spectacular! Your fiancée must be over the moon! Congratulations!

Thank you and thanks for the recommendation!

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So with respect to the resizing, I'm going to have her try a size 5 ring first and see if it'll fit comfortably.

The issue is this: if I go to another jeweler and ask for sizing beads or even better, a sizing spring put in the ring, it'll void my JA warranty. So I need to ask JA whether they'll willing to go the beads or spring, or bar approach.

But first, let's check her size again, because I definitely don't want to resize again. :)

I did notice that the arrows were slightly rotated. To be honest, in regular lighting it's quite hard to make out the arrows and I doubt SO has even noticed that they are there. I will confer with her and see if she wants it done or not. Once again there's this fear that having them touch the ring will mean that they'll screw it up somehow, and it's to me such a minor thing that I might just leave it as is.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results