shape
carat
color
clarity

2.07 Carats for 8.2K: Conclusion and Pictures!

2 Carats Under 8K: Doable or Bad Idea?

• I thought it was a bad idea to start, and I still think so.

Votes: 29 40.3%
  • Seemed kind of crazy to begin with, but can't argue with results.

Votes: 34 47.2%
  • Yes it's doable! I'll be looking into buying my next diamond this way.

Votes: 9 12.5%

• Total voters

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This was fascinating to read, I'm so glad everything worked out as it did.

Its so interesting that you were able to get a HK log in. This story is awesome! Congrats!

jadesilver

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hey HDer, I finally bought my L diamond in rose gold pretty much exactly based on ALL the information you wrote in your threads haha. Read everything you wrote countless times. Do you think it would be appropriate for me to make a title “2 Carats Under 8k - The Sequel” as a joke? (Will link to your original thread as the first thing of course.) Hahaha I thought it would be funny, but thought I’d check with you first of course. I literally have your words “Is it brown? Yes, not that I can tell. What I see in photos doesn’t match what I see with my eyes in real life.” echoing in my head. That’s exactly how i feel about my diamond after buying it blind and seeing it for the first time!

Thank you for sharing all this information in your threads. It was invaluable as well as very fun to read. Your sharing of your experience with photos made me brave enough to buy a diamond online, and I managed to join Narola and HK gems thanks to you. I hope that I can help encourage other people to go the 2 carats under 8k route, because it’s pretty fantastic. For an bargain-hunting, average, not-extremely-picky person who loves big diamonds but is on a very tight budget but wants something mostly white, eye clean and sparkly and ideal cut with decent HCA scores, I really think your strategy is absolutely perfect and I am so thankful that it worked out for me as well. Thank you!!!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it would be a good idea jadesilver so if someone googles both threads will come up.

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey HDer, I finally bought my L diamond in rose gold pretty much exactly based on ALL the information you wrote in your threads haha. Read everything you wrote countless times. Do you think it would be appropriate for me to make a title “2 Carats Under 8k - The Sequel” as a joke? (Will link to your original thread as the first thing of course.) Hahaha I thought it would be funny, but thought I’d check with you first of course. I literally have your words “Is it brown? Yes, not that I can tell. What I see in photos doesn’t match what I see with my eyes in real life.” echoing in my head. That’s exactly how i feel about my diamond after buying it blind and seeing it for the first time!

Thank you for sharing all this information in your threads. It was invaluable as well as very fun to read. Your sharing of your experience with photos made me brave enough to buy a diamond online, and I managed to join Narola and HK gems thanks to you. I hope that I can help encourage other people to go the 2 carats under 8k route, because it’s pretty fantastic. For an bargain-hunting, average, not-extremely-picky person who loves big diamonds but is on a very tight budget but wants something mostly white, eye clean and sparkly and ideal cut with decent HCA scores, I really think your strategy is absolutely perfect and I am so thankful that it worked out for me as well. Thank you!!!!

YES!!! When I read this I literally jumped up and down. I'm so so happy that it worked for you. Yes please make another thread. I want to see pictures and read about all of the details. Really really glad you made the jump. Can't wait!

So excited! Literally jumping up and down.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congrats to both of you on the great purchases! As others have said in this thread, it's really all about how risk-adverse you are and how far you're willing to go to get a great deal.
  • Some people only feel comfortable if they can talk to a sales rep face-to-face and see something with their own eyes before purchasing. These people will pay the 40-60% over wholesale charged by B&M stores for their diamond
  • Some people are totally OK buying something with just a video, a certificate, and the safety of a great return policy. These people will pay the 20-25% over wholesale charged by the online retailers like Blue Nile and James Allen.
  • Some people are willing to give up the comfort of unlimited returns and buyback policies and will buy a stone directly from the wholesalers for 5% over wholesale (YOU! =)2)
  • Some people will Indiana Jones-it and traverse hundreds of miles of dense jungle, slink through a booby-trapped cave, and swing across a pit of King Cobras to get the Peacock's Eye diamond.
Again, it all depends on your risk aversion.

...Still waiting on Indy to post that diamond on here in "Show me the Bling" :D

jadesilver

Shiny_Rock
Premium
YES!!! When I read this I literally jumped up and down. I'm so so happy that it worked for you. Yes please make another thread. I want to see pictures and read about all of the details. Really really glad you made the jump. Can't wait!

So excited! Literally jumping up and down.

Omg I want to give you virtual hugs haha so grateful that you shared your experience!! It will be a while til I make a full thread because I’m gathering pictures and writing my super long post with sections and want to wait until the ring is set. I’m really super happy about how everything turned out (happy for you too because I was following your thread all the way! It was like a TV drama with a happy ending) and I feel like we have similar risk-taking and bargain-hunting personalities and it’s fun xD

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well done you. And as you discovered, a large part of the enjoyment was the search and effort.
It is a beautiful ring at an excellent price and I know your beloved will be thrilled with not only the outcome but the energy and effort you put into getting her her special ring.
Three cheers hip hip hooray.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results