shape
carat
color
clarity

2.06 ctw OMC earrings...eeks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

leilei0812

Rough_Rock

Hi Everyone,

Just made an exciting purchase and is super nervous about it.

emotion-18.gif

It is an online purchase with a good return policy. This will be my combo Christmas and end of year present to myself so I really want it to be awesome. I fell in love with the earrings based on the pictures. However, I am worried because I am still a newbie at this. Please let me know if you see anything wrong. Please also let me if I paid an okay price. I am just really nervous and hoping that I got a great deal. I paid $3600 for the earrings. I don''t have any IRL pics yet. I am hoping to get them on Monday and I will post my own pics. For now, just one from the seller.

Here are the stats according to the seller,

GEMSTONE: Two (2) Natural Genuine Untreated Earth Mined Diamonds
CUT: Old Mine Cuts
COLOR: I-J
CLARITY: Internally Flawless – VVS1
CARAT WEIGHT: 2.06ctw

DIAMOND ONE: 1.05ct (Exact Weight) ~ Measures 6.20mm X 6.10mm X 4.1mm

DIAMOND TWO: 1.01ct (Exact Weight) ~ Measures 6.15mm x 6.0mm x 4.0mm

Thank you!

earringsomc701.jpg

leilei0812

Rough_Rock
Am I allow to post the link to the auction? There are more pictures there....

freefly

Shiny_Rock
I don''t know about the price, but the earrings look beautiful. I think they would look incredible if reset into a more antique looking setting, but that''s just my personal taste. Looking forward to seeing more pictures once you get them!

Congratulations!
36.gif

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I think they''re very classy looking. I do agree that a more antique setting might suit them better though.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I don't know anything about OMC except that I really love both OMC and OEC.

The price on the stones seems too good to be true. I would suggest you to have some expert PS'ers weigh in, because an I-J VVS1 in those sizes would cost a heck of a lot more for a RB, so that makes me wonder if OMC's or OEC's are that much better priced, or if you are really getting what they say you are getting. But then again, I haven't looked into OMC' or OEC's yet. I am waiting for Octavia and/or the purchase of a ring for myself. If those stones were that much better priced that RB's, I would kick myself for not buying OMC's or OEC's for my stones.

I have no expertise in these stone, but I would want to know that you have a rock-solid return policy from this seller.

I urge you to post this thread in RockyTalky so it's more visible and you can obtain additional feedback.

leilei0812

Rough_Rock
Thank you Freefly and oddoneout. I think at this point I am more worried about the stones themselves. I do want to swap the setting out but not if the diamonds themselves are not worth it. know what I mean?

Miraclesrule, thank you for your suggestion. Your points are exactly what I am worried about. It seems too good to be true for VVS J-L color, but at the same time, I don''t know the pricing for oec/omcs. So I am not quite sure whether I underpaid, overpaid, or about right?!? I did use all the precautions. The seller has a 10 day return period. I paid using paypal and credit card. Eeek.....I am now freakin out even more!

I posted in the timeless classics because it is an omc. I would hate to double post but I guess I will once I get the earrings themselves.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
leilei,

After I replied, I became curious because it seemed too good to be true. I performed a quick search in the PS search engine and I couldn''t find many OMC''s listed but those that were listed were as I suspected. Much higher priced.

I know my post wasn''t reassuring to you, but I don''t want you to freak out based on my extreme novice opinion. You used PayPal, so hopefully you have some protection. 10 days isn''t a lot of time, but it''s enough if you act quickly. I reiterate my suggestion that you post again for more expert advice and assistance before, during and after the receipt of the earrings. Rocky Talky is the best thing since dark chocolate.

Double threads aren''t uncommon. It''s nothing to worry about. You may just discover that you got the craziest best deal ever and that confirmation will be good to know. On the flip side, it will be just as comforting to know that you didn''t and you can return them and start again. I just don''t want you to get hosed. You deserve to get the best for your budget.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I suggest if the auction is not over that you should post these in ROCKY Talk Forum for the experts to weigh in on. To me that price is really low. What lab are they graded by?

LGK

Ideal_Rock
They look quite pretty to me. It's hard to judge color when something is set in yellow gold prongs, that's for sure. I'd think even if they're a bit lower in color than advertised (which is usually what I assume when I buy antique diamonds on eBay) the price is still pretty good. I'd say get them appraised, and set a color grade in your head that you'd be OK with, and if they come back lower than that return them. You could obviously decide if they aren't I color, that isn't OK. I'd probably give them through L or M, and beyond that return 'em, because that would seem more likely based on the price. And I think even at L/M, I'd personally still consider that a reasonably good deal.

Smart that you went with a seller w/ a good return policy. I won't risk buying antique jewelry without one, but if a seller has good feedback and a good return policy and the price is right, I am definitely not averse to buying off eBay.

In my experience with buying antique diamonds on eBay, my larger OEC was exactly the color grade advertised, and was VS2 (with a removable chip as the grade maker, if I bother to fix it it would be IF) rather than SI2. The transitional cut I have was sold as an I, and was more like an M or N (exactly in between the M and N I have that are lab graded), and the clarity is good enough that I can't see anything with a 10X loupe, so at least VS in clarity as advertised. Both were crazy good deals- that does happen sometimes on eBay, often because people aren't willing to risk thousands or simply don't have the spare cash to do it.

I'd also assess the cut for good performance too when you receive them; you don't need to be an expert to do that, just play with it in a number of different lighting situations and, if you have a well cut diamond to compare to, all the better, but you don't *have* to. You want to see the whole stone sparkle from edge to edge, not have a large dead zone in the middle. Watch to see if the center facets ever flash fire, or if they just sit there. Also I tend to look to see if old cuts go dark under the table in some situations. Sometimes darkness under the table bothers me if it's extreme, other times a bit is OK. Though old cuts can be wonky and have their own personalities, you still want them to sparkle rather than just sit there, and though I love old cuts, I still want them to perform well. (Unfortunately there are plenty of doggy old cuts out there.)

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2009 8:38:06 PM
Author: Sarahbear621
I suggest if the auction is not over that you should post these in ROCKY Talk Forum for the experts to weigh in on. To me that price is really low. What lab are they graded by?

They may not be graded at all, which is why they can sell them cheaper - and is probably how they came to obtain them cheaper, too.

The price IS too good to be true, but for that size, they could be a funny shape and I would still love them. Maybe ask for more pics?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results