shape
carat
color
clarity

2.05 RB EGL I1 H color for $4800

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kristylcurtis

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum but just love to talk diamonds!! I am looking to buy this diamond from someone on the internet and am just a little leary. The EGL certification # is 40597901D. The certification checked out to be legit as I called EGL verified that it was this stone and also researched it on EGL''s website. It comes with an ID card stating this very information and EGL confirmed that this diamond comes with the ID Card only. My only concern is how to know if the diamond he is selling matches the certification # as the diamond does not have an inscription ID in it? Is it hard to falsify an EGL ID card? EGL recommended I take it to an appraiser and have it verified but the person I am buying it from lives 2 hours from me in a smaller town in Texas where there is not a recommended appraiser. What should I do? Also, is this a good price for this stone? Thanks a bunch for your help!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2009 3:10:16 PM
Author:kristylcurtis
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum but just love to talk diamonds!! I am looking to buy this diamond from someone on the internet and am just a little leary. The EGL certification # is 40597901D. The certification checked out to be legit as I called EGL verified that it was this stone and also researched it on EGL's website. It comes with an ID card stating this very information and EGL confirmed that this diamond comes with the ID Card only. My only concern is how to know if the diamond he is selling matches the certification # as the diamond does not have an inscription ID in it? Is it hard to falsify an EGL ID card? EGL recommended I take it to an appraiser and have it verified but the person I am buying it from lives 2 hours from me in a smaller town in Texas where there is not a recommended appraiser. What should I do? Also, is this a good price for this stone? Thanks a bunch for your help!!
Hi Kristy and welcome!

4k for a 2 carat diamond????? WAY too cheap even with an EGL report, H colour and I1 clarity!! I very much doubt it would even be a pretty diamond. Personally I would not consider it. If you are having doubts then it is probably for a very good reason, listen to your gut! It is also way too big a risk to take without an independant appraiser being involved.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know how to confirm the stone against the report, but here''s an example of a stone with similar specs

Carat Color Clarity Depth Tbl Lab Gdl Cul Sym Pol Measurements $/Crt Price
2.05 H I1 60.3% 60% EGL - no vg gd 8.20-8.26-4.96 $5087 $10428

Big price difference.

Considering it''s a larger stone in a lower clarity grade, you DEFINITELY want to look at the stone before you buy it outright. It could be horribly included.

Could the seller meet you somewhere where there''s an appraiser?

kristylcurtis

Rough_Rock
That''s what I thought too but it is appraised at $13,950?!? The guy was originally asking $6800 for it but needs to get rid of it fast so he took my low ball offer of $4800. I do not plan on keeping the diamond as I have a jeweler/friend that would pay me $5500 for it (above Rapaport price for this particular diamond). Do you think I should go ahead with the transaction or stay away from it?? Thank you for the help!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are red flags all over, I would walk away from the jeweler.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YUCK!!!
23.gif

I just looked it up, the proportions are dreadful!!

67.9 depth and extremely steep deep angles - it won't sparkle or be pretty as the cut is appalling, also it won't look like a 2 carat rock as it is facing up so small due to the depth, girdle and overall horrendous proportions!! Not often I see such bad proportions as these!
14.gif

Pass. For sure.

kristylcurtis

Rough_Rock
That''s what I thought too and I was starting to see little red flags all over!! Thank you SOOO much for the help and guidance-I really appreciate it
1.gif
This forum is AMAZING and I am so happy to know there are people out there that share my passion for diamonds! Thanks again
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2009 3:29:54 PM
Author: kristylcurtis
That''s what I thought too and I was starting to see little red flags all over!! Thank you SOOO much for the help and guidance-I really appreciate it
1.gif
This forum is AMAZING and I am so happy to know there are people out there that share my passion for diamonds! Thanks again
9.gif
Very glad to help - trust me this diamond would not have been a pretty sight!
32.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2009 3:18:33 PM
Author: kristylcurtis
That''s what I thought too but it is appraised at $13,950?!? The guy was originally asking $6800 for it but needs to get rid of it fast so he took my low ball offer of $4800. I do not plan on keeping the diamond as I have a jeweler/friend that would pay me $5500 for it (above Rapaport price for this particular diamond). Do you think I should go ahead with the transaction or stay away from it?? Thank you for the help!
rotflmao2.gif
your jeweler friend is full of
BS-Meter.gif
no jeweler would pay above RAP for this stone or any other stone especially in this market.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results