shape
carat
color
clarity

1st timer needs help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

amateurhour

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone. I am trying to pick a diamond and realized how little I know. After reading countless posts I thought it was time I asked for some help. My goal is to find a RB, eye clean, 1ct+ with strong brilliance, fire and scintillation for my soon to be fiance - all for under $5000 (tall order, I know
40.gif
). I didn''t plan on purchasing a diamond online but after a little research it is the obvious choice. I found one from Soloman Brothers that I believe is what i am looking for - please tell me your thoughts!

Price: $4500
Shape: Round Brilliant
Carat Weight: 1.11
Color: G
Clarity: Vs1
Cut Grade:
Table %: 61.4
Depth %: 57.0
Crown Height %: 15
Pavillion Depth%: 43
Girdle: Thin to Thin, Faceted
Culet: N
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.67-6.65x4.09
Length/Width ratio: 1.00
Graining: Nil

Here is the EGL link
Here is the Solomon Bros link

Thanks for all the help!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask SB what they think the color and clarity grades are, regardless of the EGL report.

An H&A G VS1 at online prices is easily twice the price of that.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5510/ It's a little deep, but it get's a 1.5 on the HCA, it's got a GIA cert. It is a carat. And it comes with trade in and buy back guarantees. It's under budget.

I'd trust this over that in a heartbeat. A G vs1 ideal cut is around 8-9K from any reputable vendor.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2009 10:00:24 PM
Author: Gypsy
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5510/ It''s a little deep, but it get''s a 1.5 on the HCA, it''s got a GIA cert. It is a carat. And it comes with trade in and buy back guarantees. It''s under budget.

I''d trust this over that in a heartbeat. A G vs1 ideal cut is around 8-9K from any reputable vendor.

Nice find!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
2.gif
Bound to happen sometime.

amateurhour

Rough_Rock
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5510/ It''s a little deep, but it get''s a 1.5 on the HCA, it''s got a GIA cert. It is a carat. And it comes with trade in and buy back guarantees. It''s under budget.

I''d trust this over that in a heartbeat. A G vs1 ideal cut is around 8-9K from any reputable vendor.
That one looks great! So do you think that the diamond from Solomon Bros is too good to be true!?! Or are you questioning the vendor?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven't dealt with Solomon Brothers, but I'm sure other's have and you can do a search on them to find out what they have had to say.

I think that in my experience things that are too good to be true usually are, and I would go for a diamond in actual inventory, with pics, with a GIA or AGS cert over an EGL stone that might be in virtual inventory.

If you've seen the diamond in person and liked it... that's a different story. You are then buying what you are seeing, not a certificate. But when you are buying online... the more information the better and that GOG stone is a nice one, and a safer bet to be exactly what it looks like.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I really agree with Gypsy here - much better to go with a trusted vendor for something so important - the Solomon Brother''s diamond just doesn''t look as nice to me, and I really like the idea of having the lifetime trade-up too.

amateurhour

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/11/2009 10:25:41 PM
I haven''t dealt with Solomon Brothers, but I''m sure other''s have and you can do a search on them to find out what they have had to say.

I think that in my experience things that are too good to be true usually are, and I would go for a diamond in actual inventory, with pics, with a GIA or AGS cert over an EGL stone that might be in virtual inventory.

If you''ve seen the diamond in person and liked it... that''s a different story. You are then buying what you are seeing, not a certificate. But when you are buying online... the more information the better and that GOG stone is a nice one, and a safer bet to be exactly what it looks like.
I am skeptical as well, thats partly the reason for the posting. Although, I did find that diamond on this site under the "in house" inventory, which I thought would be more accurate. I just sent Solomon Bros a message asking if they had any other info on the stone - including having it in their inventory. So we will see what happens. Thanks for all the advice, I need all I can get.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's some more advice. Place the GOG diamond on hold. It's refundable. And you can do it via their website. We have lurkers and that's a very popular size/color combo at a good price-- just before Valentine's Day.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Looks good, yes it is a bit deep and is facing up a little small for the weight but still a well cut diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results